Nuppeppō, a Japanese Folklore Creature

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I bet you never heard of that one before!

Nuppeppo.jpg

In Japanese folklore the Nuppeppō (ぬっぺっぽう?) (also known as Nuppefuhō) is a yōkai that is genderless and estimated to be up to 1.5m in height. It is described to have a flabby appearance and its appearance is accompanied by a pungent body odor. It appears as a blob of flesh with a hint of a face in the folds of fat. It is also described as having fingers and toes that are vaguely defined lumps.

The Nuppeppō is passive and unaggressive. The body odor is said to rival that smell of rotting flesh. Other theories claim that the Nuppeppō is actually decaying flesh. There is a rumor that states that those who eat the flesh of a Nuppeppō shall have eternal youth.

The Nuppeppō aimlessly wanders deserted streets of villages, towns and cities, often at night towards the year-end, or graveyards or abandoned temples. It is normally solitary, but there are sightings of them in groups. Fingers and toes may be attributed as features amidst of fold of the skin.
Wikipedia: Nuppeppō - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nuppeppo looks like a chunk of dead flesh walking by itself. Aside from its massive flabs, the only features are its arms and legs -- and its horrid smell. It deserves the title of the ugliest yokai.

Nuppeppo usually slowly walks at midnight in desert places like ruined temples or near graveyards but also appears to derive satisfaction from frightening people when they meet on the street at night.
Montropedia: Nuppeppo - Monstropedia

The part that disturbs me the most, is that if you eat its flesh, you gain eternal youth. Yuck!

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
Sounds sexy! :p

Seriously, could it just be some sort of deformed obese human? I think I've seen it in one of those electric carts at a Walmart once...

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yeah, I thought about it and I believe it's one of the most likely possibility in regards to its origins.

That one you saw, you didn't try to eat a chunk of its flesh in order to have eternal youth?