ON THE EDGE OF TIME: The Mystery of Time Slips

Doc Brown ish

@Doc Brown ish I think its time you told us about your time slip with the girlfriend ;) :D.

Febuary 14th 2014 me and my then girlfriend Arrived in the quiet market town of Woodbridge in Suffolk, we were staying at the bull hotel for the weekend.
We were frequent visitors to Woodbridge as my girlfriend lived only a short drive away and we both enjoyed the towns relaxed atmosphere, beutiful architecture and old world charm, it seemed to us an idyllic little town nestled in the beutiful county of Suffolk with picturesque views of the river deben.
On our many visits to Woodbridge we would often talk about how we would love to live there one day.
Each time we visited we would stop for a meal in one of the many little pubs that reside in the town saying that we would have to come back to Woodbridge again as we haven't tried all the pubs yet! It was our little joke and it's what we would tell friends and family when they would ask "haven't you got bored of Woodbridge yet?!" One by one on each visit we were ticking another pub off our list.
On arriving in Woodbridge that afternoon we booked into the hotel and relaxed for a while in our room,
We had a lovely valentines meal In the hotels restaurant that evening and finished the night with a couple of drinks in the bar listening to a live band before heading to our room for the night.
Next morning after breakfast we strolled around town before stopping for some lunch in a restaurant.
The afternoon we spent walking along the river exploring places we had never noticed before.
We did a lot of walking that day and by the time we got back to the hotel we were both exhausted.
After sleeping off the walk we awoke about 5:30pm, we were getting hungry by this time
So i suggested we go out for a meal.. I didn't feel like eating in the hotel as we had eaten there the previous evening and I wanted to make the most of our weekend.
At about 7pm we left the bull hotel in search of a pub to enjoy a meal in and a couple of drinks, my girlfriend was insistent we wouldn't find anywhere as it was a Saturday and the night after Valentine's Day we would probably end up in the fish and chip shop.
She was right ofcourse, I should have booked a table somewhere during the day the pubs were sure to be full of couples out for valentines, but I said "there's no harm in asking as we make our way, we might get lucky! She didn't look confident and secretly I didn't feel confident but didn't want to let on as And let ruin what so far had been a lovely weekend.
I suggested we try the Kings head inn as we had drove past it many times and it was one of only three pubs we hadn't ticked off our list.
I'd read great reviews about the Kings head in, people raved about the warm, friendly atmosphere and the amazing food so my expectations were high and it was a stones throw from the hotel and we had done enough walking that day.
As we walked the short walk across market hill to the Kings head inn I started to feel a sense of dread in the pit of my stomach, as we got closer I started to feel slightly nauseous and a horrible heavy feeling came over me.
I knew this was not my concern about them being fully booked, it's hard to describe but this was more than butterfly's in my stomach.
I put on a brave face and acted as if nothing was wrong as I didn't want to ruin our evening, my girlfriend had fallen very quiet which was unlike her as she was usually a chatter box.
As we climbed two or three steps to the door of the pub I started to feel slightly better although I still felt slightly anxious for no apparent reason.
I pushed the door open, it was a very old wooden door the kind you find on really old buildings and quite heavy, it took a bit of strength to push it open.
As we entered the pub I suddenly felt very out of place, not that feeling of walking into a pub full of locals and everyone looking at you because they know your not from around here.
This was different, in fact no one in the pub seemed to pay us any attention but still there was a feeling like we didn't belong.
I could tell my girlfriend was feeling this to as she was looking abit awkward and I could tell she wanted to leave, but we were there now and I didn't feel we could just walk right back out of the door.
I looked around, it didn't look quite like in the photos I'd seen on their website although it was clearly the same pub the interior looked different like it was slightly run down.
There didn't seem to be any tables set out for dining and I noticed a woman smoking a cigarette at table over to the far right of me.. This struck me as odd because I haven't seen anyone smoking in a pub for a long time, not since the smoking ban was introduced a few years before.
I shook it off thinking maybe she was a local and long time regular who was happy to flout this minor law and maybe the landlord would just turn a blind eye.
I aproached the bar and placing my hand on the bar and looking in the direction of the barmaid to attract her attention I was
taken by how the bar top seemed to be unvarnished wood, slightly ruff to the touch. It all seemed a bit odd, nothing like the reviews on the website had led me to believe. I thought to myself maybe my expectation were too high for an old pub in a little country town although all the other pubs in Woodbridge we had been too were really nice.
There were a lot things that didn't fit, behind the bar there was what looked like a news paper clipping in a frame that said something about warthogs at Woodbridge.. dunno what that was about.
As the barmaid aproached with a rather unwelcoming forced smile I asked if they had a table for two available. She looked at me with an expression of bemusement and replied no they didn't. Feeling a bit arkward and still with a strange sense of anxiety in my stomach I replied oh ok, well we will just have a drink then. I looked at my girlfriend who still looked like she just wanted to leave and asked what she wanted to drink.
Just a coke she replied and not feeling like drinking alcohol myself I asked for two cokes.
I looked around the pub again noticing the people in there all seemed a bit out of place.. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time but their clothes seemed a bit unfashionable.
I paid for the drinks and we stood awkwardly looking for somewhere to sit as all the tables seemed to be taken.
A man sitting a lone reading a news paper at a long table that could seat six said "you can sit here" we sat next to each other opposite at the far end of the table to the man drinking our cokes really fast, the coke was warm, well room tempreture anyhow and a bit flat but I drank it fast, we were both eager to leave and find another pub.
Whilst drinking my coke I glanced at his news paper, it was a copy of the daily mirror.. I didn't notice the front cover headline but was intrigued by the daily mirror banner, it was in black and white.
My dad always bought the daily mirror and the logo looked out of date, I'm sure nowadays they use a different font, like the m is a uppercase M in mirror not a lower case m anymore.
As soon as we had finished our drinks we got up and left without saying much to each other.
Both of us were glad to be out of there! As soon as we were back on market hill I started to feel much better.
We ended up walking around the corner to a pub called the Angel which luckily had one table free a table for two. We enjoyed a lovely meal and discussed the Kings head inn both saying how uncomfortable we felt in there and what a horrible old fashioned pub it was.
My girlfriend noted the way everyone in there was dressed strangely and she added how one of the women in there had a haircut like princess Diana, a detail I hadn't noticed. Then my girlfriend said she hadn't seen anyone with that haircut since the 80s when it was all the rage.. We both laughed and then I remembered the news paper the man was reading. I told my girlfriend about it, she hadn't noticed the paper.
I started getting a really wierd feeling because the more I thought about it the more strange our experience seemed, beyond strange.
I wanted to go back and check out the Kings head again but at the same time just the thought of walking back in there bought back that unnatural feeling of dread I'd felt walking in there.
We slept on the experience that night but I couldn't stop thinking about it, the next day before we left Woodbridge and feeling brave I suggested we go in the kings head inn but my girlfriend said she never wanted to go there again.
We visited the town of Woodbridge many times after that and drove past the Kings head but never stopping in there, we would occasionally talk of that strange experience and I suggested maybe we really had walked back in time to the 80s for a short time. My girlfriend would always say that was nonsense and it's impossible but I could tell the thought frightened her a bit and she would change the subject suddenly.
It was two years before we returned to the Kings head inn, last summer I persuaded her to go for a meal with me in there and she reluctantly agreed. This Time I rang in advance and booked a table, it's silly but we were both feeling a bit nervous as we walked in there but it was like a different pub.
The staff were very welcoming, it had a cosy atmosphere with tables set out to dine at and the food was exceptional.
It was only after that day my girlfriend and I started to really talk about that night and she admitted to me that she had started to feel really ill as walked towards the pub that night just as I had. The whole experience really scared her.. Had we somehow slipped into another time or dimension.
I have tried to come up with a rational explanation many times, the more I think about the experience the stranger it seems.
I kick myself thinking why did I not take something from the pub, a beer Mat or take a photo but at the time we just wanted to get out of there and we didn't understand what was going on.
There are lots more details i and my ex girlfriend remember but I've tried to keep this as brief as possible.

Sep 2, 2016Report