Paranormalis Forums

Go Back Paranormalis Forums > Paranormalis Discussion > Science and Technology
The Earth is growing The Earth is growing
User Name
User Name
Save?
Password
Register FAQ Members List Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science and Technology Don't you wish they'd taught us this stuff in high school?

Tags: earth, expanding earth, geology

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Brent H Send a message via AIM to Brent H Send a message via MSN to Brent H Send a message via Yahoo to Brent H
Default The Earth is growing
I found this on Digg the other day and thought it was pretty interesting. It's strange how the continents fit together on both the Pacific AND the Atlantic side, which is really what makes it seem credible - to me anyways.

Where did all the water come from though? Was the Earth submerged prior to it growing?

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 1 Week Ago

Default Re: The Earth is growing
That's impressive. I'm surprised too, to see the continents fitting together .

On the other hand, it's sound a bit strange to me, that the Earth is growing, and becoming bigger. Could this explain the theories about the Earth's rotation being slower than in the past ?
Old 1 Week Ago
Paranormalis VIP

Send a message via Yahoo to Chip Lewis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent H View Post
I found this on Digg the other day and thought it was pretty interesting. It's strange how the continents fit together on both the Pacific AND the Atlantic side, which is really what makes it seem credible - to me anyways.

Where did all the water come from though? Was the Earth submerged prior to it growing?
The video makes perfect sense. The earth is bombarded daily with fragments of space debri. Over billions of years it stands to reason that the earth has in fact become larger.

In regards to the water; could it be that the earth was struck by an immense comet?
Last edited by Chip Lewis : 1 Week Ago at 12:59 AM.
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Brent H Send a message via AIM to Brent H Send a message via MSN to Brent H Send a message via Yahoo to Brent H
I'm thinking maybe the water was already here, covering most (if not all) of the planet. As the Earth grew, the water spread out and revealed the land.

It makes more sense than the Pangea theory... What are the chances of the earth forming with only ONE huge continent? Also, how do you explain the fact that the continents fit together on both the Atlantic and the Pacific side?
Old 1 Week Ago

That is a cool video. I like how it showed Mars doing the same thing near the end. It's interesting when you think that most scientists generally agree now that the universe itself is expanding. If I'm not mistaken the same guy who thought up the pangea or plate tectonics theory also came up with what's called the gaia theory, the theory that earth is able to remain a hospitable biosphere against the odds because it itself alive. The Final Fantasy movie takes it a bit further by infusing it with the idea of spirits and souls.

Wiki has a pretty good entry on the Gaia theory.
Gaia hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 1 Week Ago
Paranormalis VIP

If I remember my science correctly, I think the water came from internal gases as well as gases from comets. When the earth cooled the water condensed and began forming the oceans. Or maybe God made them. I forget which.
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Isn't there some kind of debate about whether dinosaurs could have really grown to be the size they were with Earth's gravity? If it were smaller millions and millions of years ago, there'd be less gravity... Maybe my logic is flawed. I need a nap.
Old 1 Week Ago
Paranormalis VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent H View Post
Isn't there some kind of debate about whether dinosaurs could have really grown to be the size they were with Earth's gravity? If it were smaller millions and millions of years ago, there'd be less gravity... Maybe my logic is flawed. I need a nap.
(My emphasis.)

Maybe?

First of all, the Earth was not "formed with one huge continent." There was no water on Earth when it first formed. Where the oceans came from is currently a matter of scientific conjecture.

Pangea is only the latest example of all the continental plates coming together. It happened before that, and we are today well on the way toward it happening again.

Chip, you're right that the Earth receives thousands of tons of matter every year from space. The Earth also loses lots of matter per year, though not as much as it gains. I believe if you google up the numbers, you'll see that though the gain seems like a lot, it's not even a blip on the radar screen compared to the mass of the planet. Multiply it up over 4.5 billion years and it still doesn't add up to crap.

You guys should really spend a little more time with your feet on the ground. The appearance of the continents is not really an indication of where they fit, in most cases. Let's not forget the continental shelf. That's where they originally broke off from and you don't see that it most of the little demos of plate tectonics.

Not to mention the very real fact that these are plates we're talking about. They were plates before they came together (Pangea), they were plates while they were together, and they were (and are) plates now that they have (most of them) separated.

Consider the orbital consequences of Earth gaining as much mass as is claimed in this loopy scenario.

P.S. It was people arguing with me over this screwy idea that originally sent me packing from the Conspiracy Cafe.

Harte
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Well said

I didn't mean to imply that I actually believed in either theory, but off the bat the expanding Earth one seems more intriguing. I don't really know enough about geology or the history of the Earth to make any sort of claim as far as which one is right, I'm just thinking out loud.

If the expanding Earth one were true, wouldn't the Earth have had less gravitational pull a long time ago?
Old 1 Week Ago

Did I mention how cool the video was?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

« Virus | - »

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode