Skype Acknowledges Chinese Spying

Num7

Administrator
Staff

2008-10-04
Skype's president has acknowledged that users in China have had instant messages both blocked and copied to servers owned by TOM Online, Skype's partner in the country.

According to Skype president Tom Silverman, Skype knew when it partnered with TOM that TOM would censor instant-messages containing certain keywords, according to rules set down by the Chinese government. Although Skype provides the underlying software code, TOM is considered to be the majority partner in China.

"...TOM, just like any other communications company in China, has established procedures to meet local laws and regulations," Silverman wrote. "These regulations include the requirement to monitor and block instant messages containing certain words deemed "offensive" by the Chinese authorities. TOM, for its part, said only that the company adhered to Chinese rules and regulations, and declined to answer any further questions, Reuters reported.

The problem, according to Silverman, was that those messages were then stored by TOM on its own servers. Coincidentally, a security breach allowed third parties to gain access to those IMs, and copy them to servers outside the company. Naturally, many suspected that the Chinese government was monitoring communications.

"We were very concerned to learn about both issues and after we urgently addressed this situation with TOM, they fixed the security breach," Silverman wrote. "In addition, we are currently addressing the wider issue of the uploading and storage of certain messages with TOM."

In his blog post, Silverman reminded Skype's customers that the company had no intention of spying on customers that used the official version of Skype outside of China. As Reuters noted, however, the TOM-Skype version of the Skype software is the only version that can be accessed inside the company.

"It's important to remind everybody that the issues highlighted in yesterday's Information Warfare Monitor / ONI Asia report refer only to communications in which one or more parties are using TOM software to conduct instant messaging," Silverman added. "It does not affect communications where all parties are using standard Skype software. Skype-to-Skype communications are, and always have been, completely secure and private."
From Pc Magazine

Chip Lewis

Re: Skype Acknowledges Chinese Spying

China, America...what's the difference? Nada...

Whitelight

I don't find this really surprising except for the fact that someone admitted to it.

I feel really happy to be a Canadian and to have the rights that I do.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

We can't know if we're monitored here. Perhaps we are, since the US have some influences on our gov, especially for the last few years.

Whitelight

I wouldn't really mind if we were. Unless things where to get out of control and our opinions and beliefs would have to be censored.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Anyway, NSA, FBI and CIA already have their database about almost everybody. They call it Facebook. :eek:

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Most people I know (in real life) have facebook (or myspace, etc) accounts, and they ask me why I don't have one. I can't find any reason to get one... I don't like blogs, I can't find anything interesting to write in them, and I'm not one of those whining kids who write like 10 pages of total boredom every day. lol

I know there's more on facebook than blogs, but I'm not interested at all. The only site I'm active on is here. I have some accounts on other sites, but I don't post or blog or whatever.

Num :cool:

Whitelight

Facebook is okay for keeping in touch, but I don't really go on it more than once a week or sometimes once a month. If anyone has something to say to me, they call.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

WhiteLight said:
Facebook is okay for keeping in touch, but I don't really go on it more than once a week or sometimes once a month. If anyone has something to say to me, they call.
That's exactly how I see it. There are so few people that want to contact me, I don't have any reason to get there. Some people I know use it this way, but some are bloging there like crazy lol