Some Words About Dreams

taykair

The following are just some random thoughts about the dream state. Feel free to add your own.

1. Time (and I'm not talking about the more esoteric views of time which are usually discussed here, but rather the one-second-per-second, whatever-the-clock-says, everyday variety of time) does not appear to exist when dreaming. A dream which occurs during a short cat-nap of only twenty minutes or so can, when recalled, seem to have lasted for several hours.

2. A television or radio, which is set to a just-barely-audible volume, seems to aid in the attainment of the so-called "lucid dream" state. Placement of the arms or legs in an uncomfortable (but not painful) position can also be helpful in this regard. It would seem, therefore, that lucid dreaming is dependent upon the mind being in two places at once - the wakeful state and the dream state.

3. Sleep paralysis, although technically not a dream state, since it does not occur during REM, nevertheless seems to be a prelude to lucid dreaming - even more so when the paralysis occurs upon waking from, rather than when going to, sleep (if the person immediately goes back to sleep after the occurrence). Again, this seems to be due to the mind being aware of both the wakeful and dream states at the same time. Many who claim to have had out-of-body experiences also report experiencing sleep paralysis just prior to going "out-of-body".

4. An auditory hallucination which sounds like a combination of a loud roaring combined with a buzzing sound (and it can seem to be extremely loud at times) can often also be a prelude to lucid dreaming. However, this only seems to be the case when the sound is hallucinatory. A long time back, I tried to replicate the sounds and put them on a continuous loop on audio tape. Not only did I not have any lucid dreams, I did not even recall dreaming at all upon awakening.

5. The best way to accurately record dreams is to have a notebook or recording device at bedside, and to describe the event in as much detail as you can immediately upon waking. The more time which is taken between waking and recording, the more the details of the dream are lost.

6. On a purely pesonal note: It's better not to tell others about your dreams. Most of the time, when describing your fantastic adventures in dreamland, you will begin to notice that your audience's eyes will start to glaze over, and that they are repeatedly looking at their watch. No matter how important or meaningful your dream is to you, most others are just not all that interested. (I guess you just have to be there.)

I realize that the above may seem a rather mundane statement of the obvious to those of you who are enlightened, or ascended, or have achieved a higher level of consciousness than the rest of us mere mortals. However, speaking as a lowly, run-of-the-mill human being, I thought that others of my ilk would find something of interest.

Take care, and pleasant dreams.