Unreal Tournament

Num7

Administrator
🖥️ Staff
Has anyone played Unreal Tournament before? Any version. UT99, 2003, 2004, or UT3.

I went down the rabbit hole and played the 4 games again, to see how they aged and how they felt, so many years later. I think I prefer UT3.

UT99 is awesome, it works very well on any system. But it feels a little dated to me. The textures look amazing, but the maps feel a little too blocky... Recent games have spoiled me I guess... The gameplay, though, is lightning-fast, and it's super visceral and violent.

1719006477989.webp

2004 is 2003 v2.0. It's better at everything, but the bright colors turn me off a little. It felt fine to me back in the day before UT3 came out. But now that I've played UT3 quite a bit, UT2004 feels way more wobbly for some reason... I'm not sure why.

1719006498699.webp

UT3 is much darker and grittier. The action feels more intense and gory than 2004.

It's so dark that it turned off a lot of folks at first when it was released. A lot of people agree that it would be beautiful if they didn't go overboard with bloom and depth of field effects. Everything is gray and dirty.

I found a mod that increases color saturation, so it looks way better. Here it is: Color Restoration

1719006612506.webp

All in all, I'd say 99 and 2004 are pretty awesome. They're both guaranteed to entertain you big time. :)

But, my favorite is UT3.

I don't know, but my son made a VR shooting game using Unreal Engine. He's in high school and he took a VR class, and just took a teen VR class at a local art college. He's choosing it as a future career. He's certified in VR now. The game he made is very simple, though. You go around shooting a ball at 3D squares, but he got to choose the environments so you can look around 360 degrees. His sister is a digital artist (will be studying game art this fall). I think I will encourage her to remake the environment for him. They could improve the game and sell it!!!

Yeah, Unreal Engine's first iterations were created for those games. At some point, FPS arena shooters became less popular because of games such as Fortnite. Then Epic Games decided to stop making UT games but kept working on Unreal Engine as a platform for game development and special effects.