Virtual Reality and Unity Programming

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I am excited for my son. We sent him to a military academy for high school because of the technology classes. He is in a VIrtual Reality programming class and he will be using Unity to make VR games. He is coming home from school happy as a lark. He wants to major in VR development in college. Don't worry, the jobs do exist here. I did a search. There is a VR company in Tampa. The Air Force put an ad out for a civilian to program their VR training games. Car companies like GM hire VR students. Of course, he has 7 more years before he can get these jobs, but they are out there! I am so excited for him.

He already has 2 VR devices and is saving up for a Meta Quest 3. Because he has a Unity account, he can try to make his own games as he learns. And his sister is a digital artist. I think they should work together!

What is everyone's thoughts on VR? It's turning out to be incredible.

MODAT7

What is everyone's thoughts on VR? It's turning out to be incredible.
Congrats to him. VR has been slow to adoption because of the costs and having to wear the goggles. The goggles tend to cause eye strain headaches because they're rarely set up correctly. This is like going to the eye doctor and getting fitted for glasses, but it really isn't and "shouldn't" be that bad. If he wants to start his career early, he can start making videos about pupil distance measurements along with lens type and eye distance from the screens. That would look good to his future professors.

Costs have been coming down a lot over the past decade as technology improves and gets more powerful. The goggles have also become lighter, but still have a ways to go. We still haven't hit the "singularity point" yet for this technology.

Fakebook (Meta) tried to make something like "The Oasis" (see "Ready Player One") and failed, but eventually that will come back around for consumers. VR is popular in complex design manufacturing along with 3D printing for the product visualization and testing aspects. Programming for those jobs should be very decent pay and probably less hectic than the entertainment industry. Hollywood keeps trying to push for 3D movies longer than I've been alive. They probably won't really suceed until fakebook does. Some games have limited support for VR and that is popular with the hardcore crowd.

Even if VR doesn't work out in the near "long term" outlook, learning about and using a straight screen 3D environment is good to know and still has very good paying jobs. If you think about it, VR isn't much more than adding a second camera to an existing 3D environment, at least in layman's terms. If I can ever get my health problems turned around and start playing with 3D again, I've considered this possibility for some animation ideas.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Congrats to him. VR has been slow to adoption because of the costs and having to wear the goggles. The goggles tend to cause eye strain headaches because they're rarely set up correctly. This is like going to the eye doctor and getting fitted for glasses, but it really isn't and "shouldn't" be that bad. If he wants to start his career early, he can start making videos about pupil distance measurements along with lens type and eye distance from the screens. That would look good to his future professors.

Costs have been coming down a lot over the past decade as technology improves and gets more powerful. The goggles have also become lighter, but still have a ways to go. We still haven't hit the "singularity point" yet for this technology.

Fakebook (Meta) tried to make something like "The Oasis" (see "Ready Player One") and failed, but eventually that will come back around for consumers. VR is popular in complex design manufacturing along with 3D printing for the product visualization and testing aspects. Programming for those jobs should be very decent pay and probably less hectic than the entertainment industry. Hollywood keeps trying to push for 3D movies longer than I've been alive. They probably won't really suceed until fakebook does. Some games have limited support for VR and that is popular with the hardcore crowd.

Even if VR doesn't work out in the near "long term" outlook, learning about and using a straight screen 3D environment is good to know and still has very good paying jobs. If you think about it, VR isn't much more than adding a second camera to an existing 3D environment, at least in layman's terms. If I can ever get my health problems turned around and start playing with 3D again, I've considered this possibility for some animation ideas.

I might be more interested in a Holodeck type of 3-D immersion.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

Yes, I'm sure eye strain as well as neck strain are huge issues, but they are coming out with more comfortable solutions for the headsets and some brands allow you to order prescription lenses so you don't have to wear glasses with them.

We've been told VR is being studied for the medical field, too.

I kindly disagree that there isn't a long term outlook. I'm seeing a huge advancement in the technology and universities are now including it in their cirriculum. GM currently uses it to design cars.

Someday, they will make environments, like the holodeck, that don't require a headset. :)