WEREWOLF GHOST, BRITISH FOLKLORE

The werewolf is believed to be a person who can changeinto a wolf when the moon is full, fwwding on human fleah. The legend of the werewolf comes from the magical tradition of lycanthropy, the belief that it is possible through the use of magic to traansform into the shape of an animal.

There are any number of stories of werewolf ghosts, spirits that have returned from the dead as "shape-shifters". One of the most famous cases is that of England "cruel" King John, who was said to have been poisoned ,refused to stay dead, and came back as a werewolf to terrorize the countryside. A more recent example is that of Flixton in Yorkshire, where it is said that a "werewolf ghost" haunts the town, changing from man to beast and glaring with bloodshot eyes at all those who dare to cross his path."Encyclopedia of the Psychic World". Theresa Cheung.

Crethox

I know werewolves can change shape voluntarily, unlike the werewolves from modern tales (movies). But I'm curious however how the moon is linked into it. You say they can change during full moon, but what I was thinking is. If they can shapeshift voluntarily wouldn't they be able to change at any given time? And maybe are more powerfull when the moon is full?

The only thing I can find relates to the "shape shifting", if you will, has its roots in antiquity, when certain rites/rituaals were carried out with the "new mon" or "full moon". If one go with some real old stuff, the changing was also done as a curse, by a practioner of the black arts, supposedly, one not just some poor guy but an entire family for a specific time frame or no time frame at all, in other words, eternity. Wish I could be more help but I'll do some digging in the library, gived me another reason to dust in there anyway.:)

Crethox

That would make sense, if it is a curse you don't have much freedom on which days to shape shift.

Then again many things are related somehow to the moon. I wouldn't be surprised if many texts concerning many subjects have been written down poorly. And this way some elements or the meaning got mixed up.

At any rate they say every myth or legend contains a bit of truth, but which part the truth is, that's hard to find out.

Crethox

Well with german i could help you out as with dutch.

Greek or Latin sadly is a no.
Just as a sidenote :D

Old saying, "if you don't use it, you loose them", appreciate the offe:) r. I do have more Latin aand who know what thry sat but if one goes by the cover, I don't think I want to know what inside.:eek::cautious: