Hoaxers: What kind of discussions should be encouraged or not, and how?

Samstwitch

IMO, there is no excuse for intentionally deceiving people for entertainment purposes, or any other purpose. The government and Media lie to us all the time, and always have excuses for it. They are all liars.

There's that old saying is true..."You can hide from a thief, but you can never hide from a liar."

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
IMO, there is no excuse for intentionally deceiving people for entertainment purposes, or any other purpose.

What you're saying is hypocritical, since the survival of this very forum was ensured by it's current owner (and every owner prior) by doing the exact things you're upset about on occasion. Are you telling me it's allowed when daddy does it, but not when we do?

I'm not saying it's right, but I've outlined what I believe the cause to be and how to make it less of an issue. I've been here since 2004 and have seen the peaks and valleys; I'm not making this up to argue with you or say it's justified - I know from first hand experience, having held the same reigns you do.

It isn't about wanting attention or being some kind of sociopath; to default to that argument is myopic and a roundabout way of plugging your ears and humming just to save your own ego. It's about a forum that focuses on decidedly UNboring topics being completely watered down by sheeple and impotent exchanges of pleasantries and Facebook-depth conversations.

Give people an interesting discussion and they won't have to invent their own.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
IMO, there is no excuse for intentionally deceiving people for entertainment purposes, or any other purpose. The government and Media lie to us all the time, and always have excuses for it. They are all liars.

There's that old saying is true..."You can hide from a thief, but you can never hide from a liar."

Addendum:
I'd be more than happy to sift through past threads and give you all a list of every thread that was created to bolster community activity, if that's where this argument is headed.

My point is that we should eliminate the need for it by being interesting enough on our own.

Khaos

where the wild things are
Thanks, but I'm done with the exchange. Thanks for your input.

Cat got your tongue, Sam? (no pun intended, in regards to your avatar)

You can't have one without the other Samstwitch. Forums like these, that are devoted to those who have had experiences with paranormal and supernatural events (time slips, ghosts, aliens, ufos, etc) there will always be someone there claiming to be what their experience was and trolling people. You can't get rid of that.

Samstwitch

I do not expect never to have imposters visit our Forum. What I hope for is Members to be respectful and not impersonate Time Travelers, Aliens, etc.

It is very simple really. If some Members cannot refrain from being hoaxers, and are found out, it will be to their detriment, because they will hurt their own reputation. That is all I am saying.

No, the cat doesn't have my tongue. My points have been made several times on this subject, and I didn't feel like sparring over it again.

Thanks for your input though. :)

TimeTravel_00

Interesting plate of food for your thinking, consider the non-hoaxer. The hoaxer perpetuates their lie with effort. The non hoaxer effortlessly resides amongst you, unknown, and unidentified, honest and truthful. Perhaps as the snake in the grass..... This forum is an open invitation for those seeking you, not the other way around as you may have perceived, yourselves seeking them. Be mindful in your thoughts, as they are the only criteria for which is available to judge you by.

TnWatchdog

It amazes me how hoaxers operate as they are so into their character they become the character...the thread is their stage and we are their audience. One lie leads to another so the hoaxer will need to lie again and again as their story goes on. I have to admit that some that come along are pretty good, believable, and these are the threads that are really followed and have the greatest spurt of activity. We will always have outsiders pop in and screw around with us, which satisfies their inner need for approval/acceptance. Members here can't stop the hoaxers from coming but we can ask the questions to expose them...we can play the game too!