Debate Time experiments will not work on Earth

Orpheus Rex

To take up your last point, very recently astronomers discovered there was a "mini big bang" that occured 3 billion years after the first big bang (NASA news) If this was the case then it could mean that even more energy and mass could of been thrown into our universe which kinda upsets the law of conservation??..Maybe :D
No, that wouldn't violate the law of conservation. The law of conservation only applies in regard to an isolated system. The Mini Big Bang would be evidence that our universe wasn't an isolated system for a length of time - it would mean that something beyond our universe came into contact with our universe and imparted energy. There are many possible ways that could happen, some natural, some artificial.
Or similarly that the energy from the Mini Big Bang was compressed in a higher dimension that unfolded out into our dimension as a result of the ripples caused by the original Big Bang. In this scenario, the energy was already there, but not observable.

TimeFlipper

Thanks Brian and Orpheus for your comments...When i wrote my reply to timeisonmyside it was for his remark about how the universe could handle the loss of mass and energy? :D

I then got distracted and lost the plot, which was timeisonmyside`s original posting, Time Experiments Will Not Work On Earth..:confused:
I think its only courtesy that any further comments should be addressed only to that posting.

My apologies for the digression..:)

Orpheus Rex

Time experiments cannot be preformed while on Earth because we as a planet are never occupying the same point in space or spacetime....to verify an experiment you would have to be totally static in space because your experiment would occur at that point and only then you may see a result, but if spacetime itself is moving then that could cause a whole other set of problems even if you were able to be absolutely static in space. Viewing in the future would require a very exact idea of where Earth would be at a fixed time in the universe....The idea of infinite curve (to look back at oneself in the future...as Einstein theorized) would not be possible in a moving universe......your ideas?....I have tough skin so I don't care to be roughed up...lets talk about it

I don't think that is necessarily the case. We already know that gravity and time have a significant and observable relationship. We also know (or presume) that all the known forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, the strong/weak nuclear forces) are greatly interrelated or even possibly the same force manifesting differently across at least 11 dimensions. String theory is nothing more than an attempt to unify the forces and also unify them with our understanding of quantum mechanics. Many predictions we have made with string theory have been completely right, other predictions are a bit off (Higgs Boson behaves differently than predicted), so we also know that while string theory has great predictive accuracy, it also isn't perfect.
I would assume that even in a state of temporal flux, you'll still be pulled upon by the same forces we experience today. You'll be dragged along with earth, or at least that would be how the appearance of the phenomena would be observed. And so, unless the time machine brings you completely outside of the universe, you'd probably not need to worry about being displaced away from Earth.
The problem in your perspective is that you're thinking only 4 dimensionally. From the 5th dimension, the earth would appear far more static in space. Actually, the Earth would probably appear as a slightly elliptical ring around the sun, except more complicated once you factor in drift.

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
A black man becoming president was considered impossible long ago, but look now, it happened in 2008 with President Obama.
I personally don't think Barack Obama deserves the U.S. Presidency. He was born in Kenya, as evidenced by his real Kenyan birth certificate, and that would make him an illegitimate president. I do however, have in mind a black man being elected president in 2008 as a possibility for when I change history. I'm thinking Alan Keyes, who was born in Long Island, NY, and both of whose parents were black, unlike Obama, of whom only his father was black. President Keyes, anyone?

EDIT: Forgive my political tangent. I was just trying to make a point...