What Obligation Does a Person Have to Parallel World Lines?

Speaking to a friend the other day, this person made a statement that raised an ethical question in my mind and I would be curious as to what others' opinions may be in this regard:

Scenario: The scenario is that (however this may come to pass) you are aware of a sequence of events in a closely div'd "parallel" world line. You wish to change those events on THIS world line to suit your own needs/wants/desires.

Constraints: You have no foresight into how your changes will play out in the future.

Question: What obligation to future history do you have to not change events on this world line? In other words, do you have any responsibility to allow events to progress as they did/will on a neighboring world line or are you free to make your own decisions based on new information (information that came from a parallel (almost similar) world line?

This question has several purposes.

As always,
Kind Regards
TR

kurisu

Depends if I was a greedy jack ass I would test results on multiple world lines in order to make sure I can monopolize the world without any unforeseen events occurring. I guess if I was a nice person I would probably think that by changing events I have altered someones fate and, have stole something before they could even obtain it. Next if I was a analytical person I would say that I couldn't be stealing because fate knew I had already planned to go back and, change events before hand therefor I am only claiming the fate which rightfully belongs to me.

If I was me I would probably serve as a Observer of worlds and, just watch as events unfold as things become interesting. That would keep be busy for a couple weeks xD

XXX

Depends if I was a greedy jack ass I would test results on multiple world lines in order to make sure I can monopolize the world without any unforeseen events occurring.
Aren't the other world lines just as important as the one you living now?How would you feel if "the other you" from another world line come to this world line and do whatever he wants irresponsibly and cause let's say a nuclear war killing millions

kurisu

Depends if I was a greedy jack ass I would test results on multiple world lines in order to make sure I can monopolize the world without any unforeseen events occurring.
Aren't the other world lines just as important as the one you living now?How would you feel if "the other you" from another world line come to this world line and do whatever he wants irresponsibly and cause let's say a nuclear war killing millions

It wouldn't make a difference to me if a nuclear war started in another world or even in our world. I consider myself to be more distance from the idea of letting death bother me.

XXX

It wouldn't make a difference to me if a nuclear war started in another world or even in our world. I consider myself to be more distance from the idea of letting death bother me.
Ok but how about the rest of the people from this world line, would it be fair that other people form another world line come mess with this one?

kurisu

Ok but how about the rest of the people from this world line, would it be fair that other people form another world line come mess with this one?

There would be no reason to care for them. How do you even know they are real people and, not simply copies of the other? Eventually at one point there was a single line which as now been divided. So technically non of us or them could even be "roots" only copies of the original. I won't use that to psychologically mess with you however you should know regardless of whether it is with a gun or a nuke if I needed to kill someone I would do it without regret.

I'll ask your question for you.

"If I switched the world lines could you tell the difference between the people you love?"

Considering the Attractor Field you could even get pass death it's just a matter of understanding the world lines well enough. Time is a illusion

titorite

I think any worldline hopper only has an obligation to themselves.....

WHo are they? What are they doing? what do they want?

Same basic questions of all humanity.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I think that if we only take in account the ethical side of things, we shouldn't go to parallel word lines at all, as it wouldn't be fair to alter (or mess up) others people's time lines, be it only because of our presence there for a short time lapse.

That being said, what about the fact that there are an infinite number of time lines? That way, even if you start a nuclear war in one of them, their inhabitants are going to survive in an infinite number of unaffected lines.

Remember, any action you take here must be mirrored by your other you's on closely div'd world lines "next door" to this one.

I like the way this conversation is moving.

To more clearly state my original question: If you knew how certain events (doesn't matter which events) were going to unfold on a closely div'd world line (implying that those events will take place on your own), is it ethical to use those events for your own purposes on THIS world line?

Complicating matters even further, how do you know you didn't already take advantage of this information before on the other world lines; world lines that are copies of themselves? Don't forget the rule of divergence.

Ren

I'm not motivated by money. If I want money, I can make money. No problem. People in this time are too wrapped up in need. Lotto this and Lottery that. Compassion for others is more important.