What Obligation Does a Person Have to Parallel World Lines?

PamelaM

I think you should respect each worldline you are on as your own.
Do only unto that worldline as you would want done unto yours.
To say it doesn't matter there are billions and billions of universes
Out there and it doesn't matter what you do on them doesn't cut it.
.....it matters to the people on that world what you do.

I'm not motivated by money. If I want money, I can make money. No problem. People in this time are too wrapped up in need. Lotto this and Lottery that. Compassion for others is more important.

I think you misunderstand my question, Ren. The point of the question isn't whether you would/could make money in this worldline, nor was I asking what your motivations are.
The question was,
What obligation do you have to allow events to happen as they are "supposed" to happen? Or happened on the closely div'd world lines?
Pamela is closer to understanding my meaning.
---------------
Remember, because any action you take on this world line is a mirror image of the action taken on the world line that you recieved the information from, where is the difference? Why is it potentially unethical to take action on this information? Is it? Why? Why not?

Yes, this gets complicated in more ways than one.

----------------
I am averse to equate psychic functioning to time travel - originating information as so many do and create their judgments using this metric, but because there appears to be an informational link here, I will indulge the false comparison for the sake of argument:

In 2000, Titor implied that psychic functioning could be information transfer from one "you" to another "you" across world lines.
This is an extremely interesting aspect of the Titor posts and merits further inquiry regarding the unexplored aspects of TT.

Taking this as a given, suppose for example that you had a dream one night that your plane trip the next day would end in a crash. This quite obviously disturbs you and as a result you DON'T get on the plane. By doing this, you have effectively changed the course of your life based on information from a different world line.
My question is:
What obligation do we have to ignore this information and allow future history to play out as it did on the other world line, the way it "should?"

I have a feeling people's opinions may change when looked at in this light.
What is our obligation to the other world lines?

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Thank You PamelaM
A great post and I believe you have a good and right understanding of other time lines.

I think you should respect each worldline you are on as your own.
Do only unto that worldline as you would want done unto yours.
To say it doesn't matter there are billions and billions of universes
Out there and it doesn't matter what you do on them doesn't cut it.
.....it matters to the people on that world what you do.
Pamela,
Your belief that some others may say that "there are an infinite number of world lines out there, so what does it matter what I do?" is correct. People DO say that. You appear to take exception to this justification and I would agree with you.

But their understanding of MWI is flawed. They are incorrect. They believe that because there are an infinite number of WL's that their actions would be effectively diluted of affect to the other world lines and would get "lost in the foam." But we all here (I would hope) understand that that is an incorrect understanding and application of MWI.

Remember:
Every action taken by you is exactly mirrored by every other "you" out there on other world lines. Even when you think you are using information from elsewhere. As long as the divergence is maintained low enough, that is. Once the divergence reaches a level of 5-10%, your actions can no longer be counted on being mirrored exactly.

And let's not forget, the "you" on this WL is not necessarily the "original" you. You (here) are mirroring the actions of another you elsewhere. As you must.

Given this understanding and stated another way, what right does anyone have to not "get on that plane?"

As Ever
Kind Regards
TR

kcwildman

Beastmaster
Speaking to a friend the other day, this person made a statement that raised an ethical question in my mind and I would be curious as to what others' opinions may be in this regard:

Scenario: The scenario is that (however this may come to pass) you are aware of a sequence of events in a closely div'd "parallel" world line. You wish to change those events on THIS world line to suit your own needs/wants/desires.

Constraints: You have no foresight into how your changes will play out in the future.

Question: What obligation to future history do you have to not change events on this world line? In other words, do you have any responsibility to allow events to progress as they did/will on a neighboring world line or are you free to make your own decisions based on new information (information that came from a parallel (almost similar) world line?

This question has several purposes.

As always,
Kind Regards
TR

dude this is a mute point and you know it
all life is sacred and must be protected at all times.... we are not the givers of life and by no means can we just destroy it for a whim or personal gain thats called murder we put folks in a cage for that

Speaking to a friend the other day, this person made a statement that raised an ethical question in my mind and I would be curious as to what others' opinions may be in this regard:

Scenario: The scenario is that (however this may come to pass) you are aware of a sequence of events in a closely div'd "parallel" world line. You wish to change those events on THIS world line to suit your own needs/wants/desires.

Constraints: You have no foresight into how your changes will play out in the future.

Question: What obligation to future history do you have to not change events on this world line? In other words, do you have any responsibility to allow events to progress as they did/will on a neighboring world line or are you free to make your own decisions based on new information (information that came from a parallel (almost similar) world line?

This question has several purposes.

As always,
Kind Regards
TR

dude this is a mute point and you know it
all life is sacred and must be protected at all times.... we are not the givers of life and by no means can we just destroy it for a whim or personal gain thats called murder we put folks in a cage for that
This is not exactly what I meant. I believe you might be getting lost in the details.

Apart from saving a life or taking it, making money or losing it, or however you may frame the scenario:
Are we obligated to ensure that our world line's events mirror those of another world line?

Many on this forum and elsewhere find fault with time travelers for "changing the past" or "changing our future." Some have even called them criminals.
My question is, are they? Why do we assign an importance to not changing a sequence of events that we are familiar with?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
temporal recon

Many on this forum and elsewhere find fault with time travelers for "changing the past" or "changing our future." Some have even called them criminals.
My question is, are they? Why do we assign an importance to not changing a sequence of events that we are familiar with?

Personally I look at time travel as a capitalistic venture. There are no laws regulating this type of commerce. So technically it is not a crime to time travel for profit.

But just suppose there is another timeline where JFK was not assassinated. In that timeline he would have shut down the federal reserve banking system. Would it be morally wrong to save him if it meant you would then be living in a timeline where no one was a slave to a house payment? Personally I see it as a way to right wrongs that have been done to us.

Thank You Einstein. I believe you have hit on the ethical question I have posed.

To borrow your example:

Do we have an obligation to allow JFK's assassination?​

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
temporal recon

Do we have an obligation to allow JFK's assassination?

I do tend to lend myself over to conspiracy theory just a tad bit too much sometimes. But JFK's assassination along with 911 really could use a thorough investigation if and when the advent of time travel technology becomes a reality. All the evidence and all the players in both events need to be thrown out on the table for scrutiny by all. Only then could a qualified answer be provided to answer your question.

In order to obtain untainted evidence, I would suggest three investigative teams, each independently run. Perhaps a group run by the government, one run by the people, and a totally unbiased group possibly comprised of individuals from abroad that have no ties or vested interest in the outcome of the investigation.

titorite

Remember, any action you take here must be mirrored by your other you's on closely div'd world lines "next door" to this one.

I like the way this conversation is moving.

To more clearly state my original question: If you knew how certain events (doesn't matter which events) were going to unfold on a closely div'd world line (implying that those events will take place on your own), is it ethical to use those events for your own purposes on THIS world line?

Complicating matters even further, how do you know you didn't already take advantage of this information before on the other world lines; world lines that are copies of themselves? Don't forget the rule of divergence.

May I troll you as you are trolling others? I mean that last line " Don't forget the rule of divergence. " Sheesh is that a 127 iq you're trying to rock? LOL Is it ethical.... I think you meant to ask if it was UNethical. And the initial question

"What obligation to future history do you have to not change events on this world line?"

Impossible. Their mere act of existing their changes the outcome. A little at first then growing butterfly effect. And if a world line traveler has a home destination to get to then what he does on any other timeline is immaterial.... They may affect a bunch of world lines but none of that would reflect upon the destination point but only the individual. SAIgh......

Stop trollin mang.