what to bring on time travel expedition

TimeFlipper

What do you think about inventing the transistor in 1915 instead of 1947. WW2 would be real deadly with guided missiles and integrated circuits controlling encryption. I want to bring thomas edison a whole bag of goodies and have him pay me big royalties.
In 1915 it would have been impossible to make the transistors 3 leads coming from them, because when the leads were embedded into the Germanium, the spacing between them had to be 6 to 10 microns apart..

brian jj

What do you think about inventing the transistor in 1915 instead of 1947. WW2 would be real deadly with guided missiles and integrated circuits controlling encryption. I want to bring thomas edison a whole bag of goodies and have him pay me big royalties.
In 1915 it would have been impossible to make the transistors 3 leads coming from them, because when the leads were embedded into the Germanium, the spacing between them had to be 6 to 10 microns apart..

not if it was a field effect transistor. semiconductors did exist back then as cadmium sulfide light dependant resistors. all you need to do is this FET Transistor Homemade From Cadmium Sulfide Photocell.

you could have a turing complete 8 bit with floating point calcs computer working by 1920 with 4k ram. the diodes resistors and power supplies needed all existed in 1915 and for display electromechanical screens did exist. you could make money by charging people to use the computer. they would telegraph the inputs to your machine and it would read the dots and dashes and convert them to variables. your computer would have more power than anything existing until the 1950's.

TimeFlipper

not if it was a field effect transistor. semiconductors did exist back then as cadmium sulfide light dependant resistors. all you need to do is this FET Transistor Homemade From Cadmium Sulfide Photocell.

you could have a turing complete 8 bit with floating point calcs computer working by 1920 with 4k ram. the diodes resistors and power supplies needed all existed in 1915 and for display electromechanical screens did exist. you could make money by charging people to use the computer. they would telegraph the inputs to your machine and it would read the dots and dashes and convert them to variables. your computer would have more power than anything existing until the 1950's.
Very interesting posting thank you very much :)
I think you need to supply me with more info on how you would develop the photocell and/or the amplifier into what would be a working computer of some description..Yes the diodes that were available around that time were usually the Germanium type, which was later developed into transistors and then along came Silicon which is still the provider for all IC`s nowadays...The resistors in 1915 were the wacking big ones in which you could install millions and millions of IC`s lol...Iam interested in how you would make the 4k RAM...:)

You said that you could charge people for using the computer, what exactly would you be charging them for?..would it be for sending messages to each over some form of network?...During 1915 there was already a system called RTTY (RadioTeleType) which was an electro-mechanical device that could send messages to another RTTY user by a link (could this be the beginning of the internet? lol)...In 1922 they used radio to transmit RTTY signals to a large area of people in the world...Basically it was typewriter(sending and receiving info) and a modem which used a 5 unit code called a Baudot, that is still in use today....RTTY is seen as the predecessor of the Computer.....Please tell me how Alan Turin came into your posting :)

brian jj

turing complete means that given infinite ram and infinite time it could solve any problem. i think selenium photocells existed back then. You would coat the light facing part with nitrocellulose to make the gate layer and then glue metal foil. you would make thousands of these. great information there.

TimeFlipper

turing complete means that given infinite ram and infinite time it could solve any problem. i think selenium photocells existed back then. You would coat the light facing part with nitrocellulose to make the gate layer and then glue metal foil. you would make thousands of these. great information there.
3 quick pieces of info...An analogue numbers crunching computer was made years ago by using 3 potentiometers a galvanometer and a switch..:eek::D
Every Chinese astronaut would take with him an abacus on his space journeys..;)
A quantum computer and Shor`s algorithm would have been very useful for Alan Turing :D
Woudnt the Nitrocellulose gate layer be there to make the metal foil unnecessary? :confused: