Why you need a time travel machine ???

Japrim

Time travelling is not a game, not something to be taken lightly of etc. It can destroy lives you know

Agreed. While time traveling, along with changing history, would be a great adventure to embark on, it is certainly not a game.

Indeed.

People want to change their pasts, get lottery numbers and sports information, etc.. But not too many actually consider the possibilities of repercussions. Not too many people are considering ethics and principles, values, cause/effect in how it relates to the overall circumstances and environment and whatever they're trying to do.

I posit that humans are very selfish creatures, and have built a world where self awareness is not relevant enough to care. People think "What do I want, and how do I get it?" But that's as far as it goes. They never stop to consider what will happen as a result, or who may be harmed. It's kind of disgusting really.

Take a selfish territorial aggressive species and add time travel. What happens? I imagine it would be kind of like giving a box of grenades and assault rifles to a pack of chimpanzees.

Lumbergooz

Time travelling is not a game, not something to be taken lightly of etc. It can destroy lives you know
fully agreed w you Misc..perhaps that s why it is not an off the shelf machine. imagine people with opposite intentions wana go back and make changes. That s why I began to understand why some members here do not share all info..I am rethinking my options too.

Japrim

A big part of the danger is unintended consequences. However low-risk or well planned and prepared for, there is always the danger of things going awry. I guess a time traveler would have to be good at formulating solutions in a cause/effect fluid environment.

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
@Japrim - Well, I'll agree it's possible there is always a danger when a time traveler goes at it alone, especially with something like an HDR, but maybe not doing it as a team, particularly with a bunch of aliens (with time traveling knowledge). Just my two cents. ;)

Lumbergooz

look at (Looper) movie..Bruce willis...it has dramatic event looping makes u think many times before u want to put TTM in the wrong hands.

Last edited:

Japrim

@Japrim - Well, I'll agree it's possible there is always a danger when a time traveler goes at it alone, especially with something like an HDR, but maybe not doing it as a team, particularly with a bunch of aliens (with time traveling knowledge). Just my two cents. ;)

I am inclined to think that solo missions are probably better at leaving a lesser footprint, as the more people there are involved, the more impact that is made on the time line. If you are trying to accomplish a task, trying to keep track of all the cause/effect across loops, trying to maintain a level of control over a situation, it seems a bit counter-intuitive to complicate things with more people.

If there is a way to have a support staff without actually sending them, that could support a lone traveler or two, it would make more sense in terms of operational capabilities and convenience. ...similar to how a fighter pilot or medieval knight has a support staff.

For example; if someone were to go back, but have a support staff in the future somewhere monitoring changes and assisting with communications and potential hazards, etc. If something goes wrong, they can look back and know, then go looking for them. Or they could leave things to help them along their way somehow.

This is all un-premised speculation, of course. We don't know exactly how it works, ...yet.

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
@Japrim - That's a speculation with some good points. Then again, a lot also depends on how you go about changing the past.

For instance, maybe it wasn't intended for a certain time traveler to be visible in a certain place at a certain time. If that time traveler makes a physical presence there and says and/or does things he/she wasn't supposed to do at that place and time, contrary to the way the past went before, then I could see catastrophe possibly arising.

However, I think that if that time traveler were to make his/her self invisible in that certain place and time, and use the power of the mind to influence and/or change the actions of people involved in that particular place and time, things would go much more smoothly without catastrophic consequences.

As I go about my own journey in changing things in the past, I'd prefer using mind power, anyway. I can see myself using some sort of mind control helmet, something @Genius has brought up several times on this site.

In a nutshell, the aftermath of changing history may not always be catastrophic, as mainstream science or various works of science fiction would like to have you believe.