Forum Game Word Game - Lost in Time

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Eight Track Tapes

images

These 8 track tapes were only popular for years before cassettes
took over, 8-tracks were all the rage in the 60's and 70's.

TnWatchdog

I remember that all gas stations were full service. They would pump your gas, check your oil, and wash your windshield...all the way around. That is what you call full service. We would load up on the free road maps while they were doing their thing. There were a lot of things, like this, that were better from the past...now it is the I don't give a shit attitude!
Endangered full service gas station

50e6455f73975.preview-620.jpg

Tim Tott waits for a customer at his Sioux City station, Tott's Auto Center, on Nov. 30. It's one of the few full-service fueling stations in the region.

TnWatchdog

Viewmaster.jpg

I just thought of the Viewmaster today. Back in the day, we had these entertainment toys... before the days X Box. They were either Disney slides or nature pictures. They were in 3-D so the looked great. I remember as a kid jumping as one picture showed a wild monkey that was coming to get me...help, save me from the monkey! If you can find one at a garage sale, get it for a collector's item, adding to it various reals. You could then put this on the JD's hobby thread.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Stereo Viewer - and view of Grassmarket and Edinburgh Castle

Holmes stereoscope

A Holmes stereoscope, the most popular form of 19th century stereoscope

In 1861 Oliver Wendell Holmes created and deliberately did not patent a handheld, streamlined, much more economical viewer than had been available before. The stereoscope, which dates from the 1850s, consisted of two prismatic lenses and a wooden stand to hold the stereo card. This type of stereoscope remained in production for a century. It is primarily American, although it is often named "Mexican stereoscope."

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
The slide rule, also known colloquially in the United States as a slipstick,is a mechanical analog computer. The slide rule is used primarily for multiplication and division, and also for functions such as roots, logarithms and trigonometry, but is not normally used for addition or subtraction.

Slide rules come in a diverse range of styles and generally appear in a linear or circular form with a standardized set of markings (scales) essential to performing mathematical computations. Slide rules manufactured for specialized fields such as aviation or finance typically feature additional scales that aid in calculations common to that field.

William Oughtred and others developed the slide rule in the 17th century based on the emerging work on logarithms by John Napier. Before the advent of the pocket calculator, it was the most commonly used calculation tool in science and engineering. The use of slide rules continued to grow through the 1950s and 1960s even as digital computing devices were being gradually introduced; but around 1974 the electronic scientific calculator made it largely obsolete and most suppliers left the business.

A slide rule positioned so as to multiply by 2. Each number on the D (bottom) scale is double the number above it on the C (middle) scale.

I still own two Pickett slide rules: one Standard and a Electronic slide rule.

Loopi

The Bearded One
I remember that all gas stations were full service. They would pump your gas, check your oil, and wash your windshield...all the way around. That is what you call full service. We would load up on the free road maps while they were doing their thing. There were a lot of things, like this, that were better from the past...now it is the I don't give a shit attitude!
Endangered full service gas station

Tim Tott waits for a customer at his Sioux City station, Tott's Auto Center, on Nov. 30. It's one of the few full-service fueling stations in the region.

They still do it for you in New Jersey, it's State Law. You can't pump your own gas. If you miss it, feel free to give it a go, minus the oder from Jersey the experience is quite refreshing.

Loopi

The Bearded One
images

Kids today, never have to deal with THIS little, pointless minutes of waiting. Whether it was rewinding your Tape or your VHS/BetaMax ... Countless minutes/hours were regained.

Thanks CD's/Laserdisc/DVD/Blu-Ray