100,000 dead

Qflux

100,000 dead

From The JT.com site

JAN 29, 2001 - JOHN: "I get no pleasure out of being right when it comes to CJD disease, war in the Middle East or suffering people in far away lands. There's nothing like the look on someone's face when you tell them 100,000 people will be dead tomorrow. In my travels, I have discovered that most people really don't want to know about the future because if its different than what they want it ticks them off. Actually, I don't blame them. "

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Death toll reaches 100,000
The death toll in the tsunami disaster soared past 100,000 today - and is set to climb higher. A total of 50 Britons are now confirmed dead and at least 100 are unaccounted for after tidal waves swept away resorts in Thailand, Sri Lanka, India and around the Indian Ocean. Officials in every country today warned the final number of dead will be even higher as rescue teams reach remote areas. The UN said there were now strong grounds to believe that the toll in the Sumatran province of Aceh, the worst affected area, would be as high as 80,000.

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/ar...5630695?source= Evening%20Standard&ct=5

Also: C2C After Dark with JT

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/afterdark/in....html#subscribe

Eutychus

100,000 dead

Originally posted by Qflux@Dec 31 2004, 09:36 AM
From The JT.com site

JAN 29, 2001 - JOHN: \"I get no pleasure out of being right when it comes to CJD disease, war in the Middle East or suffering people in far away lands. There's nothing like the look on someone's face when you tell them 100,000 people will be dead tomorrow. In my travels, I have discovered that most people really don't want to know about the future because if its different than what they want it ticks them off. Actually, I don't blame them. \"

quote:
The death toll in the tsunami disaster soared past 100,000 today - and is set to climb higher. A total of 50 Britons are now confirmed dead and at least 100 are unaccounted for after tidal waves swept away resorts in Thailand, Sri Lanka, India and around the Indian Ocean. Officials in every country today warned the final number of dead will be even higher as rescue teams reach remote areas. The UN said there were now strong grounds to believe that the toll in the Sumatran province of Aceh, the worst affected area, would be as high as 80,000.

I do not mean to in any way minimize the situation in Indonesia. Yes, it was terrible and it was a bad thing that anyone had to die, but where are these exponentially increasing numbers coming from? I mean, after the first day, it was estimated that thousands had likely died. Then it was 15k, 40k, 85k, and then 100k plus in very rapid succession, as though there were that many bodies laying around to be counted as they estimate crowds at 4th of July festivities on the Mall in Wash, DC.

They couldn't possibly have located and counted that many corpses yet, so this must be an estimate. But usually when the disaster folks make these kinds of estimates, they are inflated. An earthquake in Afghanistan kills an estimated 12k, but it ends up being 850+/-. Do these people inflate these numbers intentionally to numb people into dialing numbers with glazed over eyes and giving money to the cause for no other reason than the "holy s**t!" factor? I'm nervous that too many kind hearted folks will give hand over fist to a cause that, though noble and worthy of commendation, may or may not be as extreme as it claims to be.

Maybe I'm just nervous that Koffi "oil for food, weapons, silence, influence" Annen is the one saying we need billions to deal with this situation. Yes, money is necessary, but I'm not sure I want my donation to go anywhere near the United Nations building, for fear it will end up in an off shore account in the Caman Islands

Jesus_Bush

100,000 dead

Originally posted by Eutychus+Dec 31 2004, 09:34 PM--><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Qflux@Dec 31 2004, 09:36 AM
From The JT.com site

JAN 29, 2001 - JOHN: "I get no pleasure out of being right when it comes to CJD disease, war in the Middle East or suffering people in far away lands. There's nothing like the look on someone's face when you tell them 100,000 people will be dead tomorrow. In my travels, I have discovered that most people really don't want to know about the future because if its different than what they want it ticks them off. Actually, I don't blame them. "

quote:

I do not mean to in any way minimize the situation in Indonesia. Yes, it was terrible and it was a bad thing that anyone had to die, but where are these exponentially increasing numbers coming from? I mean, after the first day, it was estimated that thousands had likely died. Then it was 15k, 40k, 85k, and then 100k plus in very rapid succession, as though there were that many bodies laying around to be counted as they estimate crowds at 4th of July festivities on the Mall in Wash, DC.

They couldn't possibly have located and counted that many corpses yet, so this must be an estimate.But usually when the disaster folks make these kinds of estimates, they are inflated. An earthquake in Afghanistan kills an estimated 12k, but it ends up being 850+/-. Do these people inflate these numbers intentionally to numb people into dialing numbers with glazed over eyes and giving money to the cause for no other reason than the "holy s**t!" factor? I'm nervous that too many kind hearted folks will give hand over fist to a cause that, though noble and worthy of commendation, may or may not be as extreme as it claims to be.

Maybe I'm just nervous that Koffi "oil for food, weapons, silence, influence" Annen is the one saying we need billions to deal with this situation. Yes, money is necessary, but I'm not sure I want my donation to go anywhere near the United Nations building, for fear it will end up in an off shore account in the Caman Islands
[snapback]19314[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

It takes you longer than a week to count to 117,000?

The_Ruffneck

100,000 dead

whats this in the Titor section for?
His quote could mean anything , besides the death toll is expected to reach 200.000

pauli

100,000 dead

They couldn't possibly have located and counted that many corpses yet, so this must be an estimate. But usually when the disaster folks make these kinds of estimates, they are inflated. An earthquake in Afghanistan kills an estimated 12k, but it ends up being 850+/-. Do these people inflate these numbers intentionally to numb people into dialing numbers with glazed over eyes and giving money to the cause for no other reason than the \"holy s**t!\" factor?

Well, it is possible the are inflating the numbers, however, the countries where the tsunamis hit were poor areas with large populations. Here is a link to some satellite pics that will grant you a touch of perspective: http://www.digitalglobe.com/tsunami_gallery.html . It seems the devastation trashed a number of beach areas in some very crowded countries; so I have to think the numbers aren't that out of hand.