2197 The Infinite CVT And Wind Turbine Control

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I found this video which shows how to make a CVT transmission without a steel belt. Many cars on the road today use the steel belt version which is very expensive to repair. This video shows how to put a CVT transmission together just using a planetary gear system.

MODAT7

I have a friend who does his own car work, and he hates CVT's because of the mentioned costs. Auto manufacturers love them because it costs the consumer so much, and they get to rape your wallet. I've kept my old car to avoid that and the newer stupidities with cars.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I have a friend who does his own car work, and he hates CVT's because of the mentioned costs. Auto manufacturers love them because it costs the consumer so much, and they get to rape your wallet. I've kept my old car to avoid that and the newer stupidities with cars.

I just refuse to buy a car with a CVT transmission. The reason car makers are using them is because of a one mile per gallon increase in mileage. The CVT transmission only works well for light load duty. They fail frequently in SUV's.

But apparently an all metal geared transmission could be made without a steel belt which would allow for heavy duty applications. The mileage would still be better too.

MODAT7

If you want to see a real MPG increase, do a web search for "fuel vapor conversion". The real science behind it is quite simple. There are also some vids on YT where people have done it to their lawn mowers and their trucks. If I can ever get my head clear to finish my mower bot project, I also want to try this on my lawn mower.

8thsinner

There are lots of different types of cvts out there, I've been coming across a lot of them looking for gear systems for a different project of mine, theres even some 3d printed carbon fibre versions that might even handle the loads for a car. Though I haven't seen any testing in that field yet. I'm sure in time someone will manage it.
But I think we might have water/hydrogen vapour engine mods before that happens. With the recent availability of 3d printers and cncs theres also a rise in consumer independence when it comes to all fields of mass production, not the least of which is engine design and gears. And the majority of those people appear to care more about getting designs out there for mass use more than they do making money off of it for themselves.
We might be a ways off before people are making their own and putting car companies out of business, but we do appear to be moving in the right direction.

MODAT7

I don't think a carbon fiber transmission would last very long (even with strengthening additives), but there are 3d metal printers. Now to find one that will do stainless steel powder. They may not be cost effective for home use, but give them another couple decades.

People who come out with hydrogen gas modified engines with the intent to mass commercialize keep getting assassinated. :(

Fuel vapor conversions still use gasoline without any major engine modifications. Since technically liquid gasoline doesn't burn, it's the vapors, it's just getting the right amount of vapors to the cylinder head to properly run the engine and tweaking a couple overpriced and useless engine sensors. Since this method burns far cleaner, there's no leftover liquid gasoline (at least with proper ratios) that needs to be burned by an expensive and useless catalytic converter.

I mostly like the idea of cracking water for fuel, but I have some concerns that people will go stupid and we'll end up destroying all the water on the planet. In theory, the hydrogen and oxygen should fully recombine, but in practicality there will always be a little gas left over. The hydrogen might get blown off into space... but by then we might have the space tech to just harvest more from our own star. We'll then move from the petroleum cartels to the hydrogen cartels.

The yellow CVT model Ein mentioned seems to be the simpler design and would hold the most promise for heavy vehicle use. The way things are going, we may have viable consumer stardrives before big-auto comes to their senses and gives in. :(