A interesting twist

StarLord

A interesting twist

Yes, that 2% divergence was quite the brain storm wasn't it? Kind of like the goose that laid the golden egg when ever you needed it to suit the story you were writing. It covered every single thing that did not match up. Brilliant, simply brilliant.

tchetcha

A interesting twist

Originally posted by CaryP@Dec 2 2004, 11:21 AM
So, I presume you live in Ukraine? Yes, instability can happen in a very short term time frame. All it takes is the right stimulus. If you do live in Ukraine, can you elaborate on what happened from your perspective that led up to the instability? If you live somewheres else, can you explain what is going on where it is that you live? I think it would be interesting for the Americans here to read what happens and what to look for. I'd be most grateful if you could oblige.
Cary
Thanks Cary,
I've been visiting the forum for a long time but I prefer to read than to write...
I don't live in Ukraine, I live in Portugal. We are not having the scandal that Ukcraine is having, but is still very disturbing.
Our ex-Prime Minister is now the President of the European Commission and the President of the Republic had to make a choice 4 months ago : Elections or to substitute the Prime Minister. He preferred the substitution, but then problems started to happen. Scandal after scandal, with different Ministers.
To compare, I know that in USA you only have the President, you don't have ministers, but imagine that the different Secretaries making mistakes, others try to censure public opinions by firing people and others say that they were mislead...
Oh well...
But thank you for the enlightment about Titor reaction...As I said before, instability can begin with the most simple thing, an opinion, a reaction... It is not necessary to be an election... In fact, when Bush won these elections I though "they really want stability, they don't want to take chances. It's not Americans that are unhappy with Bush, is just the rest of the world". I think we now have more that 2% difference from Titor's world.

CaryP

A interesting twist

Thanks for the update tchetcha. Sorry to hear things are on the weird side in Portugal, but it's a recurrent theme in most world governments today. Good to see another European member on the board. You might want to put your location pin the Member Map. The link for the map is at the top of every page in between "Gallery" and "Help". Here's the link in case you don't see it http://www.timetravelforum.net/forums/inde...p?act=membermap
You'll have to use the drop down button to get the European map to place your pin.

Cary

Timmy G

A interesting twist

From that day until March 2001, John Titor stayed with us in our home. He told us he had made a promise to my husband?s father in 1975 that involved preparing us for Y2K. On January 1 2000, the world did not end as John said it would. Strangely, this did not seem to surprise him and instead this seemed to be a burden as a deep sense of sadness overtook him

The whole JT saga ~ combined with the Y2K scare, was brilliant. So brilliant in fact, that I find it to be one of the stronger arguments in the JT case. It is this very ingredient, which constantly comes to my mind when I think about JT.

Now the plan here is getting everything from my mind, to this forum thread in understandable language. For those who are not IT (Information Technology - aka Computer Department) literate, I will try to easily explain what I mean - and for those who are, sorry in advance for the drivel.

Understanding the computer Computers operate in a no-nonsense way. You may have seen graphics on technical web pages, of the numbers 1 and 0 repeated over and over again. This is an example of what the simplest computer language is. All 1's or 0's. That is it - nothing more. A computer sees everythying as either a 1 or a 0. EXAMPLE: The computer sees each letter of the alphabet as eight byte's (basically, the byte is the smallest bit of information a computer uses). The letter 'a' for example is made up of eight 1's and 0's, a.k.a eight bytes of information. The byte sequence for the letter 'a', which is comprised of only 1's & 0's, may be ' 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 '. The first gate, or position of the byte sequence, is the number 1. The rest of the positions are all closed (zero?s). No letter in the alphabet is made up of the same sequence of bytes. For example, the letter ?b? may start with two 1?s: 1 1 0 0 0 etc. When the computer reads the eight bytes, based on the sequence, it knows what to display for us to read. Everything from the color blue to the music you hear from your pc - is nothing more than either a 1, or a 0.

Knowing this, you should understand that a computer does not think. It does what it is instructed to do. If it is not instructed to do something, it certainly won?t do it. Arguments could be made that a computer is not instructed to ?lock up? after hours of use, but it does anyway. I would consider this an anomaly.

Now let us take the ?date & time? of a computer. When it comes to displaying the names of the months, and the numbers within a date ? the computer uses those 1?s and 0?s. When the computer reads the byte sequence, it displays what it needs to (remember the letter ?a?). In this example, it displays the letters J, U, N, E, so we know that the month is June. It does the same for the date, if today is the 12th, and when the time reaches 11:59:59 pm, as soon as the computer ticks one more second it knows through programming the date display is now the 13th. It knows this because it was told, or programmed, to know this.

If you write a small program to take the number 1, and then add 1 to it, and then to give the total ? a person would invariably see the answer as 2. If you program the computer to keep adding 1 to the previous total, until it is told to stop, it will keep going infinitely based on the rules it was given (after 9, go to 10 ? after 999, go to 1,000, and namely ? after 1,999 ? roll to 2,000).

Taking the aforementioned rules of the computer into mind ? you can easily see that when any and every computer in the world counted one more second after December 31, 1999 at 11:59:59 pm ? the date rolled over to January 1, 2000. The only way for any computer to stop at the year 2000 would be if it were told to do so.

I have worked with computers since 1980, when they were nothing more than Cassette tapes you had to use with a normal cassette player/recorder. You had to hit ?play? to feed your information into a processor ? then after loading you could use the program you were after. Many of us on IT departments discussed the Y2K problem enough to agree that the effect it may have on systems around the world would be minimal to nothing.

So, what does this have to do with John Titor? Glad you asked. If Titor, or anyone for that matter, went back into our past to try and fix the Y2K problem ? we wouldn?t have given it one iota of thought as the year 2000 approached. If, in nineteen-seventy-something, a computer engineer was informed about some impending doom when our systems rolled from 1999 to 2000, he would have fixed or adjusted for it. After he did that, from every day forward ? nobody would have given it second thought because they knew it was taken care of.

To say that the Y2K bug was fixed in 1975 (or whatever year) and then have all the excitement we did about it possibly happening is equivalent to giving people shots against the Plague 25 years after it was wiped off the face of the earth.

The Y2K bug was not going to happen, and the industry knew this. Instead it fed off the fears of the general public and created over 1 Billion dollars in revenue to protect its sheeple against a lie.

How does the JT saga fit into a world where the Y2K bug was nothing more than a load of crap? :blink:

(yeah, i know I'll be flamed for that one - so let me say it for you: There are an infinite number of timelines and an infinite number of possibilities within each timeline. If it happened there, it doesn't mean it'll happen here... etc etc etc.).

CaryP

A interesting twist

To say that the Y2K bug was fixed in 1975 (or whatever year) and then have all the excitement we did about it possibly happening is equivalent to giving people shots against the Plague 25 years after it was wiped off the face of the earth.

The Y2K bug was not going to happen, and the industry knew this. Instead it fed off the fears of the general public and created over 1 Billion dollars in revenue to protect its sheeple against a lie.

How does the JT saga fit into a world where the Y2K bug was nothing more than a load of crap? blink.gif

(yeah, i know I'll be flamed for that one - so let me say it for you: There are an infinite number of timelines and an infinite number of possibilities within each timeline. If it happened there, it doesn't mean it'll happen here... etc etc etc.).

Actually, TimmyG I think you're onto something here. Why wouldn't the IT industry hype some impending doom to generate some bucks? I've heard from several IT people that most of the worms, viruses, Trojans whatever, are initiated by the anti-virus software companies to generate sales. Why would Y2k be any different, except bigger in scope. My little business spent about $50k just in anticipation of the SOB. Major companies spent a lot more than $1 billion in anticipation of Y2K. But who the hell cares? It's just money right? In the meantime, Bush wants to make the tax cuts permanent, which I'm all in favor of, but he wants to do it by cutting out the business deduction for health care costs for employees and eliminating the state income tax deduction for individuals. Oh, but lest we forget, the dividend, interest and capital gains tax would be eliminated too. Tax cuts for the wealthy? What you talkin' bout Willis?

Cary

Timescholar

A interesting twist

Actually, the problem was more that old computers used a 2 digit date for the year. (80, 90, 99) So, "03" would "look like" 1903, only because "19" was already put into the system. I'm not familar with old software, operating systems, and computers, since the 40s, 50s and 60s were before my time (errm, no pun intended). AFAIK, operating systems and mainframes aren't date dependant. The timeclock is independant so that it still runs even when the computer is turned off. As mentioned above, the time is read as a series of 1s and 0s. Even if the time field reaches: 111111111111111111, the next 1 added makes it all 0s. It would appear to be whatever start date 0000000000000 was programmed to be -- whether it's Jan. 1st, 1960 12:00:00am, or Jan. 1st, 1980 12:00:00am (as it was on computers during the 80s).

I've heard stories like "If Y2K happens, trucks carrying food will stop in their tracks!". :lol: Vehicles don't need a time clock like that to run. Even at that, it would most likely be a counter.

However, there is one thing I think might happen:

False banking information. Sure people could catch it, but the only thing that would happen would be a huge backlog and waiting time. However, I'm pretty sure banks would have a solid paper trail to fall back on.

Y2K, IMHO, was overhyped. The worse that could have happened was longer lines at the bank while bankers did everything by hand. Granted, I don't know everything about banking software and how it works. However, I'm a database programmer/analyst, and the only thing that uses a clock is 1 datafield. A few typos in MS Access made some dates look like "1931", "1932". That's because in MS Access, anything past 2030 becomes 1930. Still, no crashes even occured. :) It was perfectly valid data.

Y2K was simply the last hurrah of the "IT Bubble".

I just did a google search on "Y2K Simulations"

Phonelines still worked.

Only 1 bug relating to files being "checked out" (currently being worked on). There were work-arounds to the problem.

Netscape seemed fine.

Banks]www.invertir.com/news/apr99.doc+%22Y2K+simulation%22&hl=en]Banks seemed fine.[/url]

Those are just some of them. Only 1 minor problem seemed to be with locking files for use. Even that had a work-around.

Personally, I think Y2K was hyped by some really bored Quality Assurance testers and leads that just wanted to watch everyone run like crazy.

Some other reasons Y2K wasn't really big --

Many systems (like banks) used more modern software and operating systems, like Windows. The hardware was different too.

Darkwolf

A interesting twist

Okay, I think we may be looking at this from the wrong angle. Is anyone sure that Y2K happened in JT's hypothetical timeline? I don't think it did. Several reasons.
#1 His life story sounded like he had a pretty comfortable childhood untill the government got out of hand. Trips to Disney world ect. No mention of nationwide black outs, or starvation or anything like that.

#2 The 2000 elections obviously happened, if the disaster described in the faxes had occurred, I doubt it would have been on scedule. If they coulden't get the power back on, they woulden't be holding an election.

#3 He stated his history and that our line would appear no different to us AFTER Y2K had failed to happen.

It sounded to me like his world dissolved from normalcy to civil war without the intervention of Y2K. The reason he was depressed about it not happening may be that he attempted to make it happen. For whatever reason he may have wanted to disrupt the 2000 elections, or the path that his line took to civil war, or weaken the government's position in that war in this timeline. The massive disruption in infrastructure could only have benifitted the rebels in such a situation.
Mabey he was depressed that his family and younger self on this line would have to go through what he d

tchetcha

A interesting twist

Originally posted by Timmy G@Dec 5 2004, 11:08 PM

How does the JT saga fit into a world where the Y2K bug was nothing more than a load of crap? :blink:

Actually, Y2K was a big deal... to americans...
Where I live people didn't even knew that things could go wrong, that electricity could fail or things like that.
I agree with you, I believe software companies fabricate their own profit as well the industry took advantage of the bug for extra revenue. Was a good way to end 1999...

KiraSjon

A interesting twist

I completely concur. I know my father was making his own ammunition just in case the stores ran out and built a secret ladder to gain access to his roof from the inside so he could sit up there and "protect his home". I know that sounds kooky, but that's normal compared to some things people were doing around here.

pauli

A interesting twist

Okay, Nostradamus predicted that the world war would start in 1999 Titor predicted the world war would start in 2005. Perhaps Nostradamus had seen Y2K happening and the whole world becoming unstable and going into a world wide panic but lets say someone like Titor who's world was corrupted because of this came back in 1999 and fixed the y2k problem. This is the only thing I could come up with Nostradamus prediction being wrong. please write your input.

Hi Snakey,

I don't pretend to be a Nostradamus scholar, but I have read a bit of his work. The quatrains are intriguing, if you are into them, but they are very opaque and obscure, to say the least. I find it interesting that you believe that Nosty predicted the World War to start in 1999. From where did you get that reference?? I have my doubts it came from his written works. Perhaps it came from an interpretation of his work by someone else?

I do know that Nostradamus wrote in his Letter to Ceasar - his son - that at one time he had dated all of his quatrains, which were supposed to go forward to the year 3024 74(?) or so. Later, he changed his mind and removed all of the dating from the quatrains. The material we have today, for the most part, are without dates. The only recent quatrain that we have seen pass is the one dated 1999 where he talks about the "King of Terror" coming out of the skies. I remember reading about this in 1997 or so and thinking, OMG, does he mean a nuclear strike?? Or something just as horrible? But, looking back at it now, that quatrain could read much differently. Perhaps the "King of Terror" was not an event, or thing. Maybe it was a person. If I remember correctly, there was a Newsweek article that named Osama Bin Laden as the "Prince of Terror." I would have to revisit that quatrain again and reread it; but my memory of it is that it could definitely support a person type of reading.

(Ah, just found a reference site that has the quatrain and several commentator's thoughts on it. You can find it at: http://www.plim.org/King%20of%20Terror.htm )

Also, in his Letter to Ceasar, even Nostradamus mentions that his dates are not hard and fast. He gave himself a little "wiggle-room." I'll have to find the precise quote for all of the above. When I do, I will try and post it.

So, to answer your question, "If John Titor is a true TT," (*cough,*cough) then even if the date of the next WW starts in 2005 it won't overide or invalidate anything Nostradamus wrote. Hope that helps. :)