Alas, Babylon

TheOrangeMan

Alas, Babylon

I agree on a lot of what you said, but I don?t see much of a ?message? other than ?Be prepared, but don?t rely on your preparations.? A lot of the book I bet steamed off of a fear. The book was written in a era where nuclear war was a high possibility and probability, and I?m sure Mr. Frank had thoughts and ideas about how life after could be lived.

Still I don?t think this book is a lot more then fiction, or a good story.

Judge Bean

Alas, Babylon

Originally posted by TheOrangeMan@Sep 17 2004, 09:00 PM
Does an author need a goal?
I want to tell a good story could be a viable goal.

Titor was not an author of literature in the sense of Hemingway or Crichton. Titor was the pen name of a group exploiting science fiction as a medium, and also exploiting "fringe" writing styles and themes; and doing so for a specific purpose.

HuntTech

Alas, Babylon

Originally posted by Paul J. Lyon@Sep 16 2004, 03:08 PM
There might be many sources for a hoaxed Titor narrative; and much of Titor can be found in crackpot politics from the past 40 years, including \"militia\" literature and other antigovernment material, and in The Twilight Zone episodes.

The question is, why would Titor retell it?

Some recent stories gaining some ground that portray a future very similar to what JT was describing and what 'Alas, Babylon' describes are about the supposed 'Peak Oil crisis'. There's some pretty dark stories of what is 'about to come' very soon... and they ring a familiar bell.

Life After the Oil Crash

These guys follow the peak oil thing, too.
From The Wilderness' Oil and Energy

Again, I've read the book from the first link... and he pretty much describes the same stuff as JT. So, there is a current 'movement' out there trying to paint the same picture, FWIW.