Another Tsunami?

CaryP

Re: Another Tsunami?

Just saw a quick report about this on CNBC. The local authorities have issued a tsunami warning. The quake is supposed to be very close to the location of the one that occured on 12/26/04. When it rains, it pours, eh?

Cary

Crosstika

So one the day after christmas and one the day after easter.... :(

Zoomerz

Seems to me I heard of some "predictions" about another one in 2005. Of course, we'll have to wait and see if one does materialize....

Z-

StarLord

Let's hope this is a quake ONLY and no tsunamis will be forthcoming, They have had enought to deal with imho.

sinister

i heard that experts are saying there will be no devastating tsunami from this particular quake, as enough time has passed that they would have seen it by now. A small tsunami apparently did materialize, but was nowhere near the December one. However, aftershocks around 6 in magnitude continue to rock southeast Asia. The videos coming out of this second quake are pure chaos. This may not be anywhere as devastating as the last one, but I feel the true damages have not yet come out of that area. Being that its on the same fault line as the last one, I would hazard a guess that this is not the last big earthquake in that area that we'll hear about.

CaryP

"Being that its on the same fault line as the last one, I would hazard a guess that this is not the last big earthquake in that area that we'll hear about."

uh, yeah sinister. That'd be my guess. This just might be the first of several wake up calls.

Cary

Crosstika

Up to 2000 dead in Indo Earthquake

BANDA ACEH, Aceh: As many as 2,000 people may have been killed when a powerful earthquake hit the Indonesian island of Nias, Indonesian Vice President Yusuf Kalla said on Tuesday.

"Maybe there are one to two thousand people who have died according to the early reports from there," Kalla told BBC radio in an interview, adding that a more precise evaluation would be likely in the coming hours after a further report by the district chief and police.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaillatest...stnews.asp?file...