Atlantis - Real or make believe? (Or somewhere in between?)

Is Atlantis real?

• Yes

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Perhaps, but not as we think.

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

TexDanm

What I'm saying is that we don't have much in the way of knowledge about what came long before the Egyptians and before the Greeks. All that we have from before that are a few things from the Sumerians and a few things from the oriental and Hindi writings. All of them talk about people and civilizations that came before. They keep moving back the beginning of man. I wonder how many time we may have risen only to be knocked back to near extinction and had to start again. Geneticists tell us that twice we have been near to being wiped out and that our genetic diversity is tiny compared to most other species. At one point 70,000 years ago man were brought to as few as 2000 people from whom all future humans were descended. there have been other periods when we were thinned out to just a few thousand. ??? What might have happened to them? The one 70,000 years ago was most likely a huge volcanic eruption. There was one that may have been caused by some sort of pandemic. Who knows what level these people might have been at before their fall?

Harte

I'd point out to you that the story supposedly came from Solon, an historical figure, during a very well known period of Egyptian history.
So, if Solon got the story from a time period that was relatively recent, why do we need to postulate the existence of some ancient knowledge that came before the Egyptians?

Have you ever read Plato's two dialogues that mention Atlantis?

Harte

Harte

What I'm saying is that we don't have much in the way of knowledge about what came long before the Egyptians and before the Greeks. All that we have from before that are a few things from the Sumerians and a few things from the oriental and Hindi writings. All of them talk about people and civilizations that came before.
Actually, as far as evidence is concerned, Ancient Egyptian is considered to be the oldest form of writing. It certainly predates anything from India, but cuneiform might be older - we just haven't found any that old yet.

They keep moving back the beginning of man.
How so? Please link to this information that moves man back.
Any species from the genus Homo is correctly called "human." Perhaps you've misunderstood some lazy journalist's story.

The oldest known human (Homo Habilis - 2 million years old or so) was discovered by Louis Leaky (actually it was by his wife Mary, who discovered the skullcap sticking out of the ground) in Tanzania in 1955. Nothing earlier than Habilis has ever been found (though there's no doubt some earlier ones that existed, IMO.)

Geneticists tell us that twice we have been near to being wiped out and that our genetic diversity is tiny compared to most other species.
No, they don't.
Actually, the only known population bottleneck among our ancestors goes all the way back to Australopithecus.

At one point 70,000 years ago man were brought to as few as 2000 people from whom all future humans were descended. there have been other periods when we were thinned out to just a few thousand. ??? What might have happened to them? The one 70,000 years ago was most likely a huge volcanic eruption. There was one that may have been caused by some sort of pandemic. Who knows what level these people might have been at before their fall?
Your 70,000 years ago example is the Toba eruption. Turns out that there's no evidence of a population bottleneck stemming from that (admitted) catastrophe.
A study by Chad Yost and colleagues of cores from Lake Malawi dating to the period of the Toba supereruption showed no evidence of a volcanic winter, and they argue that there was no effect on African humans.[52] In the view of John Hawks, the study confirms evidence from a variety of studies that the eruption did not have a major climatic effect or any effect on human numbers.[53]
Wiki
Regarding your second example, I've never heard of that and I can't find any information on it. If you could provide some, I'd gladly read it.

Harte

TexDanm

I'm not going to go back and make a bibliography for you. If you have a computer google these things. THAT is what I did before I made each of those definitive statements. ROTFLMAO You make me think of a kid that is sticking his fingers in his ears while screaming no no no . LOL. I really did a quick check rather than trust my old memory. I have no doubt that you can find something that disagrees with everything. The flat-earthers can refute the laws of gravity. I remember when they refused to believe in the part that extinction events played in evolution. There are no certainties in history. All too often when something was found that disagreed with current beliefs it was "lost" or destroyed. Check out the origins of the "brontosaurus" and the Piltdown man. We can't even get the facts straight about history that is less than 200 years old. This is about opinions because there are so few facts; you have yours and I have mine.

Harte

I've been googling "these things" for two decades.
I asked you, not google.

If you don't have the information, just say so. Preferably in the same post where you make the claim (in the future.)

Harte

Angelface239

I've been googling "these things" for two decades.
I asked you, not google.

If you don't have the information, just say so. Preferably in the same post where you make the claim (in the future.)

Harte
Okay. I dont know allot of information about altantis wheter it still be around or not.

TexDanm

I wasn't around then so have no personal knowledge or information other than what I have read so I guess that I have nothing that this idiot would accept. TA TA!!

Harte

I wasn't around then so have no personal knowledge or information other than what I have read so I guess that I have nothing that this idiot would accept. TA TA!!
Try reading the only source on Atlantis - Plato.
The Internet Classics Archive | Timaeus by Plato
The Internet Classics Archive | Critias by Plato

Then it might be possible for you to actually figure out who is the idiot here.
Not to mention maybe you will be able to have something resembling an intelligent conversation on the subject.

Harte

Angelface239

Try reading the only source on Atlantis - Plato.
The Internet Classics Archive | Timaeus by Plato
The Internet Classics Archive | Critias by Plato

Then it might be possible for you to actually figure out who is the idiot here.
Not to mention maybe you will be able to have something resembling an intelligent conversation on the subject.

Harte
aOkay.and too i think it is burried deep beneath the ocean away from where anybody can really find or located or actually is at similar to what happened to the orginally titantic that hit by a ice berg and feel down and sank to the bottom of the ocean.