ATLANTIS

Harte

For me the complex was built around the Sphinx, the causeway a perfect viewing platform of the ancient monument already in situ. The Sphinx has suffered heavy rainfall erosion from a time when the climate in Egypt was much wetter. Erosion that the rest of the complex does not have.
The sphinx is carved from some lousy limestone bedrock. Temples and pyramids in the area are not made of stone from those same crappy layers.
You can either take my word for this, or look it up yourself.

Please present your Geology credentials to back up your assertion that any erosion at all on the sphinx has occurred due to rain.

The Sphinx is not in the way of the causeway. A temple to the north of the sphinx prevented construction of a straight causeway to Khafre's pyramid.

Care to comment on my question? Why does the sphinx enclosure match Khafre's causeway along the south side? Are you saying Khafre had that part of an old enclosure excavated to match the path of his causeway? It wasn't necessary, you know.

Or, are you saying that Khafre's pyramid predates the Egyptian Civilization?

Old maps and descriptions of Atlantis show it as being an island within an island. This is exactly as Santorini appeared before it blew it's top. A crater like circle with a volcanic plume island in the centre. Does Helike fit this island within an island format? I wasn't there, neither were you, just an educated guess as to the origins of Atlantis. My opinion is as valid as yours.
Old maps? They also say "Here there be monsters." Seen any monsters?
These maps you cite are based on Plato. This is the same guy that doesn't say anything about high tech, and his story has Atlantians invading Egypt, their asses being saved by the Greeks, 10,000 years ago - thousands and thousands of years before either the Greeks or the Egyptians existed as a cohesive culture.

Again, Santorini - 1600 BC. Are you saying that a civilization with high technology existed during a period of time from which we have historical records from several different civilizations in the area?
Even if they were bronze age and not high tech, why don't we have any record of them, you know, the results of their invasion of all the cultures surrounding the Med.? Physical evidence like pottery influences on other cultures, languages, DNA, etc., that we have for all the other cultures they supposedly conquered?

It is easy to recognize that your opinion has no validity, if you would only consider the implications of what you state.

Harte

Harte

I will read and respect your opinion Harte ... but to say that another members opinion is invalid is just rude
Do you believe every opinion rates the same level of consideration? I would like to understand how it is that you think that is so.

Also, please inform me of the sources for the claims you have made regarding Atlantis and the Sphinx. Perhaps if I could see how they make any sense at all, I might find them a little more worthy of consideration, as opinions go.

Harte

Snake Plissken

I believe..
Zenith
I will read and respect your opinion Harte ... but to say that another members opinion is invalid is just rude
Do you believe every opinion rates the same level of consideration? I would like to understand how it is that you think that is so.

Also, please inform me of the sources for the claims you have made regarding Atlantis and the Sphinx. Perhaps if I could see how they make any sense at all, I might find them a little more worthy of consideration, as opinions go.

Harte

I'm sorry you're right. Yours is the only opinion that counts. Please forgive me for daring to have an opinion that differs from yours. Conversation in your household must be scintillating that's if anyone else is allowed to speak.

... You are clearly a legend in your own mind

Drew

The sphinx enclosure, the pit left when the sphinx was carved out of bedrock, conforms precisely to Khafre's pyramid causeway. The causeway runs diagonally. The rest of the enclosure is squared off.
causeway.gif

Why would it match the causeway if it was carved millennia before this pyramid was constructed?
There is nothing to suggest that the Sphinx predates the Old Kingdom.

Harte

First, I'm not so sure the Khafre causeway does conform "precisely," and (second) it would probably make more sense for the causeway to be built that way because the enclosure pre-existed. The Sphinx isn't exactly aesthetically located, right? And, the Khufu causeway angles in a mirror image of Khafra's, which might suggest there was a second enclosure at one time in what is now the eastern cemetery, that was for whatever reason destroyed, perhaps even because what it enclosed didn't survive the passage of time as well as the (presumably pre-existing) Sphinx. So, why does the enclosure have that angle? No way of knowing once they built the pyramids, eh?

And, of course, the weathering patterns on the enclosure strongly suggest they are much older than the rest of the site, and even the best alternative theories aren't holding up as well, as far as I am aware.

Harte

The sphinx enclosure, the pit left when the sphinx was carved out of bedrock, conforms precisely to Khafre's pyramid causeway. The causeway runs diagonally. The rest of the enclosure is squared off.
causeway.gif

Why would it match the causeway if it was carved millennia before this pyramid was constructed?
There is nothing to suggest that the Sphinx predates the Old Kingdom.

Harte

First, I'm not so sure the Khafre causeway does conform "precisely," and (second) it would probably make more sense for the causeway to be built that way because the enclosure pre-existed.
It's not a question of why the causeway angles. The question is why does the Sphinx enclosure angle the same way?

Despite the butthurt in this thread, I take this particular subject very seriously. I've spent a good part of my life examining the available evidence.

Krish I get because of faith. I don't bother people that say Moses parted the Red Sea either, and for the same reason.

But when people come on here making assertions about the Sphinx and Atlantis that are made up right out of thin air, it rubs me the wrong way. Especially if i am expected to treat such an "opinion" as valid.

After all, if all opinions are equally valid, then why don't more posters assert that Jews are the descendants of apes and pigs? That's the "opinion" of a great many Arabs.

Who would consider that opinion as "valid" as any other?

I don't claim to know everything, but I know that the so-called "redating" of the sphinx by Robert Schoch is not based on rainfall at all. I also know that there exists no Atlantis "myth." Plato didn't get that story from some oral tradition. He made it up, just like he did his Republic, the dialogue written just before Timaeus (and referred to in Timaeus.)

I know the three "members" of the limestone bed the Sphinx is carved from, and the soft ones weren't used for construction, for obvious reasons.
We can't pretend the Egyptians didn't know stone just to make an argument that the structures around the Sphinx should show the same weathering.

I know the radiocarbon dates from Giza - taken in two different surveys a decade apart, and I know how C14 works and why it is accurate enough to date the pyramids at Giza.

That's not by any means all I know on the subject, as a brief search here will show - even though half my posts were lost when the site changed hands several years ago

Also, I am able to infer certain things. Things like this - Plato tells us that Solon said that the Egyptian Priest of Sais told him the cultures around the Mediterranean were liberated by the Greeks when they defeated Atlantis, but I know that the Egyptian Culture was notorious for the way it lied about it's great accomplishments, so I infer that no Egyptian story has the Greeks saving anyone, even if it did happen.

Anyway, if anyone can answer the question about the enclosure logically, I've only got about a thousand more that also show how hollow these fringe claims are.

Harte

TimeFlipper

Hartey the only thing i can comment on that Drew said was, Weathering and not Rainfall..
I believe that Cheops Pyramid had originally about a12 foot thick limestone covering which has been etched away by the wind and sun?