Beluga in Delaware River?

XDrFirefly

Beluga in Delaware River?

Whale Spotted in Delaware River

041205_whale-home.jpg
April 12, 2005 - TRENTON, N.J. ? A beluga whale that apparently took a wrong turn made quite a splash in the Delaware River on Tuesday, sending people flocking to the shoreline and out on boats to catch a glimpse.
slideshow.gif
video.gif
VIDEO: Amy Buckman's WEDNESDAY UPDATE

The 10- to 12-foot oceangoing whale was spotted shortly after noon swimming downstream just south of the city's famed "Trenton Makes The World Takes" bridge, which spans the river at the uppermost reach of its tidal waters. But the lone whale wasn't alone for long.

By late afternoon, about 100 people were gathered along the banks of the river on the New Jersey side to get a look, images of the whale surfacing and diving were broadcast on the television news and police were fielding calls from passers-by who spotted it.

"I have a perfect view of the Delaware from my office, and this whale is going back and forth from the marina to the bridge," said Paul Loriquet, a spokesman for the state Attorney General's Office, watching the scene unfold from his eighth-floor office.

"Four news helicopters are hovering overhead. The train is stopping on the train trestle, people are lining up along the river. It's like the city has gone mad. They might rename the bridge `The Beluga Whale Bridge,"' Loriquet said.

At sunset, as the whale continued to swim back and forth between the bridge and a nearby marina, several dozen gawkers stood along the riverbank shouting, "There he is!" and laughing each time the whale surfaced.

Lorenzo Ricks brought his wife and two sons from their home in Bordentown.

"You'll never see anything like this," said Ricks. "This is something else."

But all the excitement was doing more harm than good, according to a marine mammal expert.

"Right now, our major problem is harassment by boaters," said Bob Schoelkopf, director of the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine. "People are hearing about it through the press. As a result, it's changing the course of the animal. If it's heading south and people get in front of it, it turns around. It'll never get out of there if they harass it with boats," said Schoelkopf.

He said the whale may be a juvenile that wasn't seaworthy or an adult that chased a school of herring up the river. Typically, beluga whales travel in large groups but spread out when feeding.

"We're working with the National Marine Fisheries Service to determine the health of the animal, assess the area, look for possible areas to capture and remove it to a friendlier area," he said.

State police Capt. Al Della Fave said marine officers were patrolling the river in boats and hoped to herd the whale back south.

The whale had to swim directly past the city of Philadelphia to make it so far north, some 80 miles from the Atlantic Ocean to Trenton, where the river turns too shallow for a creature of its size to continue swimming upstream.

Environmental Department spokeswoman Karen Hershey said she was not sure whether a whale had ever been in the vicinity before.

A right whale - named Waldo the Wrong-Way Right Whale by Philadelphians - straggled into the Delaware River in 1995. The whale beached itself at an oil terminal in Pennsauken, N.J., but disappeared after about 10 days. It was found two years later swimming near Canada

XDrFirefly

Re: Beluga in Delaware River?

Ok guys here is my question about this. What is going on in the ocean to make this beluga leave the ocean and head 80 miles in land. We've talk about this at work. (I work at a zoo) This whale about 50 or so miles back would have noticed things like pressure difference, colour of water, and the big thing, NO SALT WATER. So, my guess it that the whale is leaving the ocean for a reason. We in other post were talking about the Cosmic stuff in the Artic
wildlife-beluga-map.jpg

That is the where the beluga lives. So, why is there one in the Delaware River. So, I'd like to figure this out.

Dr FF

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\":LOL:rFirefly\")</div>
Ok guys here is my question about this. What is going on in the ocean to make this beluga leave the ocean and head 80 miles in land. We've talk about this at work. (I work at a zoo) This whale about 50 or so miles back would have noticed things like pressure difference, colour of water, and the big thing, NO SALT WATER. So, my guess it that the whale is leaving the ocean for a reason. We in other post were talking about the Cosmic stuff in the Artic

wildlife-beluga-map.jpg

That is the where the beluga lives. So, why is there one in the Delaware River. So, I'd like to figure this out.

Dr FF
[/b]

Doctor,

The following is pasted here from Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=100...s4&refer=canada
The 10-foot to 12-foot (3-meter to 4-meter) animal was spotted near Trenton two days ago, bringing hundreds of spectators to the river's banks to watch it swim. Scientists have theorized that the whale made a wrong turn on its way back to its Arctic home...

``It's kind of part of the normal behavior for wildlife,'' Michaud said. ``Once in a while, there's a freak, an animal that gets lost and away from its normal range.'' ...
?There are about 1,000 Beluga whales living in the St. Lawrence River, and they move into the Gulf of St. Lawrence in winter as ice moves down the river, Michaud said in a telephone interview...

There were as many as 50,000 Belugas in the St. Lawrence river before 1885, and hunters decimated the population until the species was protected by the Canadian Fisheries Act starting in 1979, according to Canada's Fisheries and Oceans Department. Mercury, lead and other pollutants in the river are preventing the animals from reproducing.

As you see, these animals live in rivers naturally. Since you work at a zoo, I'm sure you realize that whales don't require salt water to live.

As far as your question about what's going on in the ocean, I think this posting makes it clear that the question should be what's going on in the St. Lawrence River. Seems to me that the whale had a good idea in seeking out a different river to live in.

Harte

Strangevisitor

good point harte maybe we should be finding out why the whale thought the Dalware river was a good stopping place but of course, that still means it left from somewhere to come there maybe both places should be checked out. Still werid either way you look at it. Good find Doc.

I found this site http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/...es/Beluga.shtml about whales. It says that these whales will travel in groups. My question is why was this one alone. Also, it says they will migrate in the summer from the Artic. Here's a site http://members.tripod.com/rc-anodizing/PEZ...lsMM/beluga.htm saying that this whales do like salt water but will go into fresh water to hunt. Maybe this one was hunting.

XDrFirefly

Here is why I asked about the salt water. First, most of the St. Lawence is Brakish (salt/fresh mix), so if he was around philly it would still be brakish, here are important thing about salt water, vs fresh. He would sink faster in fresh, so making it harder to swim, harder to come up to get air. Next, if his diet contain salt water fish his diet will be off. Next, just cause it happens every once and awhile there must still be a reason. This year so far with marine life has been bad. Lots of dolphins killing themself, acting weird and such... those are my points. If the 2nd smartest creature in the world starts to act weird we as humans should listen, and study this...

Dr FF

DadOf5

It could also have something to do with the fact that the Delaware river is experiencing its worst flooding in 50 years. He may have thought he was somewhere else.

XDrFirefly

Oh, thanks Dadof 5. I didn't know that part. Hmmm. That will be something new i can talk to the people at the zoo about. Thanks

Dr FF