Bouncing an Idea of time travel

Stryder

First off, this is my first post on this website. What brings me here is that i cannot find out if something is possible in the realm of time travel. So here it goes. If one person traveled into the future, say 50 years, while, 20 years later, someone traveled into the future 30 years, is it possible that they arrive at the same time?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
If you consider that travel to the future doesn't involve multiple timelines, then I guess it would be theoretically possible. It all depends how complicated such time travel procedure would be if it was to take place for real.

Perhaps if we're dealing with multiple timelines, both time travelers might end up in 2 different future timelines and won't be able to interact together in their respective destination timeline.

Oh and welcome to Paranormalis! :)

TimeFlipper

I think that the second person would have to arrive exactly at the same second, in the same place, as the person that travelled first...unless my math is wrong.

Seeing as i only woke up 10minutes ago this highly probable :cool:

And welcome to Paranormalis..hope you enjoy being with us..;)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
What if the second person arrives 10 minutes later? The first would just have to wait until the second pops into the present, I don't think it changes much things all in all. No?

...Again, it all depends if you consider multiple timelines or not. ;)

TimeFlipper

I just recalled a very interesting book by David Deutsch PhD called, The Fabric of Reality..
In it he explains a Quantum Computer could actually time travel...If so could it be possible that such a computer "locks onto" just one multiple timeline at a time and make any changes possible within that time line?

If the the future of all time travel was conducted ONLY by the Quantum Computer, then we could produce lots of interesting games very similar we have today, although they would actually be "real life!"..Reminds me of that old song by Joe South..The Games People Play..

OMG..I hope Nintendo dont see this post lol :D

Stryder

Thanks for the welcomes! So assuming a single time line if two travelers travel to the same time it doesn't matter when they left they would appear to arrive at same time.

Now I suppose we could also have the original Traveller's line continue on and diverge when the other traveler appears.
It's as confusing as time lines disappearing(continuum).

The chances of two travelers accidently going into the future to the same time I suppose would be pretty small huh.

TimeFlipper

Not necessarily, because as Num7 pointed out we have to take in the possibility of multiple time lines..
I made my point about a Quantum Computer becoming a time machine as a sort of side issue..
However there is lots of work going on trying to build a Quantum Computer, especially from the guy i mentioned, David Deutsch and his associates....

I heard somewhere a few years ago that a guy had made a Quantum Computer that could actually sense when he was close by to it!!
I obviously cant confirm that lol..

Stryder

Yah I'm still trying to wrap my head around time travel. It can get complicated fast and I just started exploring it.

Henry Stone

Interesting idea. If the multiple timelines theory is in effect, the second person (let's call him/her P2) could technically avoid splitting the timeline by arriving just slightly before the first (P1). Going to the future should not split timelines, because it is a case of creation-as-you-go. For example, cryosleeping your way to that point in time would do nothing to the timeline. In fact, come to think of it, even if P2 reenters time -after- P1, there is no break in the timeline, because P1 has not done anything that is altered by the arrival of P2; P1 just happens to already be there. In essence, a split in timelines requires someone altering something already done, which seems only possible by time travel backwards in time.

As for your original question, yes, I would assume they could reenter the timestream simultaneously. This would make for an interesting story, if P2 had been assigned some work in the 20 extra years before exiting time! Also, the whole "I only knew you when you were young" deal, or "father and son, same age", but that's not really that intriguing to me, personally. As for reentering at the same time and -in the same spot-, that's a whole other can of worms!

PS: My first post, too. Yay!