Bush a Sith Lord...Darth Incurious?

PhantomLord

Re: Bush a Sith Lord...Darth Incurious?

I've seen the new Star Wars and I will say its an amazing coincidence that these themes are in the movie and Bush just happens to be doing the same stuff on a smaller level.

George Lucas swears he wrote all this way before Iraq and 9/11.

Who knows maybe Lucas did some remote viewing or something and peered into the future and saw it was like this.

Then again it could just be Liberal Hollywood looking for ways to bash Bush since they dropped the last election big time.

Lucidus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"PhantomLord\")</div>
I've seen the new Star Wars and I will say its an amazing coincidence that these themes are in the movie and Bush just happens to be doing the same stuff on a smaller level.

George Lucas swears he wrote all this way before Iraq and 9/11.

Who knows maybe Lucas did some remote viewing or something and peered into the future and saw it was like this.

Then again it could just be Liberal Hollywood looking for ways to bash Bush since they dropped the last election big time.[/b]

I believe Lucas when he says that he wrote this long before the Bush administration.

The process in which republics become empires is well documented by historians.

smokeringhalo

Yeah Lucas wrote the plot decades ago and he talks about it on EPII's DVD extras.
The specific dialogue however was written after 9/11 and the patriot act.
So I'm sure that it jabs at Bush a bit, but if the shoe fits......

sinister

okay, well I would consider Lucas a "good writer" (despite what i've seen lately), and all good writers will pick up on things that are going on in their current environment, either conciously or subconciously, and they will pop up in the writing. Even some of the dialogue between that chick and Anakin about the 'state of the republic' sounded oddly familiar. Although it's true that history shows constantly the abuse of power by leaders who are given too much of it, I thought it interesting that in Star Wars, it seems to be that character's 'master plan', to place his own country in a state of peril that forces them to overlook democratic process in favor of "immediate action". If my memory serves right, this is similar to the Greek "tyrant" idea. In Star Wars it was revealed it had been that guy's plan all allong, even though it was still the republic that gave him all that power, which brings up an interesting likening to Bush. Like I said tho, I doubt Lucas did this on purpose.

smokeringhalo

Lucas had the idea some decades ago and decided to do the prequels pre-Bush. Remember Episode 1 was in 99. By Episode 2 we had 9/11, the patriot act, and afghanistan. When it came time to write Episode 3 we had Iran, various torture scandals etc etc. The original idea was inspired by history, not Bush as the timeline clearly shows, but when it came time to do the final chapter it is obvious that Lucas saw the parallels between his vision of EP3 and the U.S. administration. He did this to either warn us of those parallels out of conscience, or simply draw material from "history happening now", or both.
Considering the uncanny timing of EP3s production and current events, Lucas would be a fool not to draw from the current admin. Lucas may be alot of things but a fool isn't one of them.