Can thought exist without language?

Phoenix

volves thinking.

Crystals are stated to communicate by people such as Teal Swan.

Do crystals communicate or are they used as a communication tool? Also, which kind?[/quote]
both, all, according to Teal.
Both used to communicate and self initiate communication as an individual life form.
All Crystals and gemstones.
This video better details her perspective.

Animal Communicators such as Sonya Fitzpatrick have stated that animals do communicate in images, but also based on her communications I know they must also know about words. One dog was upset by its owner whenever the owner would call it the B word. Lori Spagna in her workshops showing how to communicate with animals describes the process of sending images.

I agree fully. Animals are also telepathic.
Animal communication is dependent on the underlying idea of back and forth telepathic communication. I do share your perception that it happens.

The proposed question is a syllogism dependent on the definition of thought and definition of language. I took language to be composed of a spoken and written lexicon with grammar, such as English

Ok, but not all "language" requires a grammatical structure. Baby talk...caveman talk... one word responses are still language...
I have no disagreement in using language to describe the various forms of communications you give example of. I was only describing my take on what I felt Num7 originally meant in posing his question, I may be wrong. He might not have meant my qualified definition of language when he originally wrote his question.

However I also consider you completely correct in your statement, there is no thought without language, in the definitions you provided.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
When I posted this discussion, my definition of language didn't include all possible ways of communication, it was only what we know as "talking". That's what I meant then.

But I became aware along the way that the answer to my original question would be incomplete if we didn't consider all imaginable ways of communicating, talking or not. That's where we are now! :) I believe language isn't limited to talking, as we discussed earlier, there are many, many ways to communicate.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I've thought about this question before, and it kind of has a "chicken or the egg" complex...

I was wondering, Num, when you're thinking to yourself, is it in French or English? I've always been curious to know what language multi-lingual people "think" in...

Harte

A long time ago, humans developed primitive forms of language, which they were able to understand one another with. Perhaps we can look at animals, can they think? What about emotions?

Do you think they developed thinking before, or after the coming of language?

Can thinking take place without language?
It is possible to think clearly and logically using only metaphors, which lend themselves to pictoral interpretation, or thinking in Images.

And now to expose my fanboy status, Star Trek TNG: Season 5 Episode 2.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
It is possible to think clearly and logically using only metaphors, which lend themselves to pictoral interpretation, or thinking in Images.
And now to expose my fanboy status, Star Trek TNG: Season 5 Episode 2.

Metaphors also include language, so of course. And Star Trek rocks.

I was wondering, Num, when you're thinking to yourself, is it in French or English? I've always been curious to know what language multi-lingual people "think" in...

It really depends.

If you're imagining a conversation with someone, usually you'll think in the language with which you speak to the person.

If you're just thinking about something in general, the language of your thoughts could depend on the last person you talked to, on whether or not you're hearing or reading things in either language at the time, whether you've just woken up and your brain circuits are more active in your native language than in your acquired language(s), and if you're more familiar with the subject matter in one language or the other.

It can be hard for me to think about some things in English because I didn't learn about them in my native land. And some explanations I nearly always give in French, so when someone asks me to explain in English, I'm literally at a loss for words.

I'm sure there are other factors that determine the language we think in, but these are the major ones that come to mind.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

It really depends.

If you're imagining a conversation with someone, usually you'll think in the language with which you speak to the person.

If you're just thinking about something in general, the language of your thoughts could depend on the last person you talked to, on whether or not you're hearing or reading things in either language at the time, whether you've just woken up and your brain circuits are more active in your native language than in your acquired language(s), and if you're more familiar with the subject matter in one language or the other.

It can be hard for me to think about some things in English because I didn't learn about them in my native land. And some explanations I nearly always give in French, so when someone asks me to explain in English, I'm literally at a loss for words.

I'm sure there are other factors that determine the language we think in, but these are the major ones that come to mind.

What a minute. Elemental Dissonance = Num????????????????????

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Mais bien sûr mademoiselle ! Qu'est-ce que vous pensiez ma petite ?
What's going on here? Are you trying to impersonate me or something?

That's not me, obviously. I don't post with fake accounts on my own website. lol

I do speak French in real life though. Depending the language I communicate with in the moment, I'm able to think in French or in English. Thinking in the language you're speaking helps a lot, I believe it's an important step towards mastering another language.

Last edited: