Can you use a high voltage multiplier to turn a 12 volt battery into 120 volts?

dustin255

Can you use a high voltage multiplier to turn a 12 volt battery into 120 volts to use a portable power supply for a HDR Unit?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
You can get the voltage that way. But the current capacity generated would be very low. I do know using larger capacitors may increase the available amps. But I'm thinking the capacitors may have to be exorbitantly large to create the amps you need to run the electromagnet.

dustin255

You can get the voltage that way. But the current capacity generated would be very low. I do know using larger capacitors may increase the available amps. But I'm thinking the capacitors may have to be exorbitantly large to create the amps you need to run the electromagnet.

I only know that it is easy to find a high voltage multiplier for converting 12 volts to 1 kilo-volts. I haven't seen something that can go from 12 volt to 120 volts through.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
They make inverters that will convert 12 volt battery voltage to 120 volt AC. Probably you can find one at an auto parts store or maybe your local hardware store.

Harte

Voltage multipliers convert AC into DC.

A 12 volt battery is DC.

So, no, you can't.

Harte