Captain of the ship was drunk

Tweety

Yes, the captain of the Titanic was in bed drunk and with a woman thus causing a tragedy which not only killed many people but ruined the lives of many families.

TimeFlipper

Yes, the captain of the Titanic was in bed drunk and with a woman thus causing a tragedy which not only killed many people but ruined the lives of many families.

There were two lookouts in the "Crows Nest", but the irony of the situation was that both lookouts were not provided with Binoculars! o_O..

Tweety

There were two lookouts in the "Crows Nest", but the irony of the situation was that both lookouts were not provided with Binoculars! o_O..
Exactly and absolutely! The captain was still very irresponsible because he was supposed to leave the binoculars with two men and he had no business being drunk and being with a woman in his cabin when he had the lives of many people in his hands. He should have been on the lookout as well.

TimeFlipper

Exactly and absolutely! The captain was still very irresponsible because he was supposed to leave the binoculars with two men and he had no business being drunk and being with a woman in his cabin when he had the lives of many people in his hands. He should have been on the lookout as well.

Iam afraid you are wrong...During 1912 all binoculars were to be kept in a certain area of a ship (probably for fear of them being stolen!!)
The captain, along with the crew all followed that status quo, but i would have thought that the two lookouts should have simply requested the binoculars, seeing as the Titanic was travelling at over thirty knots in night, with the problem of icebergs being around....

I believe that the two lookouts were swayed by the belief that the Titanic was unsinkable, and any other ship of the day would have sunk immediately after it had hit an iceberg...It was only the brilliant engineering of the ship that enabled it to stay afloat for as long as it did..
A major problem was the amount of available lifeboats....There were only 20 on board which would have accounted for 1,178 people, however there were 3,327 people on board including the crew, and therefore the amount of lifeboats that should have been available would have been 41..

Subsequent ships that were built all had sufficient lifeboats for crew and passengers...Personally i do not hold the Captain accountable, as there were other very capable officers around to take over when the Captain was sleeping, after all, he HAD to sleep sometime and he would not have been aware that the ship was actually going to sink!!...He did however go down with the ship, which every Captain will do..
It was one of those disasters whereby lessons were learned, its just a shame that so many people had to die to make that happen, but i guess thats just the way of the world :cry:..

Tweety

I heard about the problem of the lifeboats. I do agree that all posts should have been covered and it seems that was not the case. I do remember that it was claimed to be unsinkable. Sadly there was incompetence displayed which caused the tragedy,

TimeFlipper

I heard about the problem of the lifeboats. I do agree that all posts should have been covered and it seems that was not the case. I do remember that it was claimed to be unsinkable. Sadly there was incompetence displayed which caused the tragedy,

If there was incompetence, it would not have been with the owners of the Titanic...It would have more than likely been the ship builders...
There was no problem with the cost of the extra 21 lifeboats, as the owners had already spent $7.5 million US Dollars building the ship ($174 million US Dollars today)...But bad things will always happen sometimes :cry:..