Chinese Hackers Exposed

TnWatchdog

Anonymous Helps Researchers Link Hackers To Chinese Army

Posted: 02/19/2013 1:33 pm EST | Updated: 02/19/2013 5:31 pm EST

r-ANONYMOUS-CHINA-USA-large570.jpg

An American computer security company released an explosive report Tuesday linking a Chinese military unit to a growing number of cyber attacks against American companies, organizations and government agencies.
But some of those connections -- including profiles of the individual hackers in China -- could not have been made without the work of the hacker group Anonymous, according to the report by the security firm Mandiant.
Security researchers and government officials have long claimed that China is behind a growing number of cyber attacks against American computer networks, a charge that China has repeatedly denied. But Mandiant's 73-page report was unusual in its level of detail, going so far as to profile the identities of three hackers who are believed to be working for the Chinese military. Mandiant said it was able to find connections between two of those hackers and China's People’s Liberation Army by relying on public data first revealed by the hacker group Anonymous.
In February 2011, Anonymous gained access to the website rootkit.com -- an online forum where hackers and researchers share information about hacking techniques -- and published personal data of more than 40,000 registered users online. The data included email and IP addresses.
The breach was one of dozens by Anonymous over the past two years and gained relatively little media attention. But now, two years later, security researchers say the data was valuable in helping them find links between hackers and the Chinese military.
"We are fortunate to have access to the accounts disclosed from rootkit.com," the Mandiant report said.
Anonymous' disclosure of the rookit.com information included an email and IP address for the username "uglygorilla." The IP information, which identifies the location from which the user is accessing the Internet, pinned the hacker to a place close to a 12-story office tower in Shanghai that researchers believe is the headquarters of P.L.A. Unit 61398 -- cyber warriors for the Chinese military.
The email address linked to the "uglygorilla" username had been used to register for an online forum run by the Chinese military, in which the hacker asked: "It is said that the U.S. military has set up a dedicated network force referred to as a ‘cyber army.’ Does China have a similar force? Does China have cyber troops?" according to the report.
Another hacker profiled in the report, who went by the nickname "Superhard," is believed to be part of a "smaller group of highly capable developers" who write malicious software for the Chinese military, Mandiant said in the report.
Anonymous' disclosure also included an account called “SuperHard_M.” The name was registered from an email address that was also used to register for websites and forums in which the hacker offered to write malware for money and said he lived in an area of Shanghai near the building believed to be housing the P.L.A. Unit 61398 headquarters. An IP address from the hacker's rootkit.com account also showed that he logged on to the Internet in an area near the building, according the report.
It's not the first time that rootkit.com account information has helped researchers shed light on the identity of Chinese hackers.
A recent story in Businessweek detailed how Joe Stewart, a researcher for Dell SecureWorks, was able to link a hacker to the Chinese military in part by tracing the digital breadcrumbs he left behind. One piece of evidence came from an IP address on the website rootkit.com, according to the story.

TnWatchdog

'Just a thought I had tonight'...Look at what the government has been doing to guns, the Internet could be next! Due to the security of our nation, we are blocking any communications via the Internet. When the time has been deamed as safe...communications will resume. What a way to keep the world in the dark by BS used as a scare tactic. I hope this won't happen but the groundwork is being laid for this BS to be thrown at us. Other counrtries have blocked communications on the net...let's hope this doesn't happen.

BlastTyrant

And to think China just bought a big Oil company in the US, with the Russians in our Gulf the Chinese in our Internet and now also in our Homeland, were in for a very rude awakening

titorite

'Just a thought I had tonight'...Look at what the government has been doing to guns, the Internet could be next! Due to the security of our nation, we are blocking any communications via the Internet. When the time has been deamed as safe...communications will resume. What a way to keep the world in the dark by BS used as a scare tactic. I hope this won't happen but the groundwork is being laid for this BS to be thrown at us. Other counrtries have blocked communications on the net...let's hope this doesn't happen.

TNwatchdog, did you not know?

Obama passed CISPA by executive order. It is over. The time is going to come where our lines shall be shut down on the presidents word.

Are you a part of a phone tree or anything like that? I am not myself but I have lots of friends and neighbors I know well.

TnWatchdog

TNwatchdog, did you not know?

Obama passed CISPA by executive order. It is over. The time is going to come where our lines shall be shut down on the presidents word.

Are you a part of a phone tree or anything like that? I am not myself but I have lots of friends and neighbors I know well.
You are right, we are pretty much toast or the boiled frog. Things could change overnight and we all would be caught off guard...IMO they just need an event, which I am sure is known, to bring hell to earth. Please elaborate on the 'phone tree' as I am not aware of what this might be. Thanks!

BlastTyrant

Really if some one where to bring down the Internet for more than a week it would crash our whole ecnonomy, we are so reliant on the Internet that if it were to go down for a extended period of time we would be lost.

TnWatchdog

Really if some one where to bring down the Internet for more than a week it would crash our whole ecnonomy, we are so reliant on the Internet that if it were to go down for a extended period of time we would be lost.
Are we being set up for a big fall? We are getting more dependent on the Internet and Smart phones. Each day we are more and more dependent, then off goes the grid, Internet, Smart phones and many would be jumping off the nearest bridge. Everyday, hacking is on the news...Is this part of the set up for a big fall? Any thoughts???

BlastTyrant

Are we being set up for a big fall? We are getting more dependent on the Internet and Smart phones. Each day we are more and more dependent, then off goes the grid, Internet, Smart phones and many would be jumping off the nearest bridge. Everyday, hacking is on the news...Is this part of the set up for a big fall? Any thoughts???
Ideally it would be the smart thing to do, No Nuclear Fallout, No "bad guy" just some lowly hacked in a basement somewhere took down the internet for a month and now the world is in ruin.

I believe the 2 biggest countrys to suffer the most would be USA and Japan, and i do believe China and Russia would take full advantage of the Situation and the panic that would insue after a week of no communication. We would be blind we are so reliant on the internet now a days it should be a prime target.

TnWatchdog

Advertise | AdChoices
Christopher Bodeen , The Associated Press
China hackers seen as increasingly professional (but don't work weekends)

1C6185072-handskeyboardgettyimagesfile.streams_desktop_small.jpg

Getty Images
Beijing hotly denies accusations of official involvement in massive cyberattacks against foreign targets, insinuating such activity is the work of rogues. But at least one piece of evidence cited by experts points to professional cyberspies: China's hackers don't work weekends.
Accusations of state-sanctioned hacking took center stage this past week following a detailed report by a U.S.-based Internet security firm Mandiant. It added to growing suspicions that the Chinese military is not only stealing national defense secrets and harassing dissidents but also pilfering information from foreign companies that could be worth millions or even billions of dollars.
Experts say Chinese hacking attacks are characterized not only by their brazenness, but by their persistence.
Read the full article on the link below:

China hackers seen as increasingly professional (but don't work weekends)

BlastTyrant

Our reliance on the Internet will eventually be our down fall. I tell everyone who uses "The cloud" or any on-line storage system that it is a horrible idea, if you trust your most secure and confidential documents or files or even pictures to the internet then i feel Zero sympathy when you lose it. Save it to a removable hard drive or even memory stick. The internet isnt secure and never will be, specially in this day and age.