corn = fuel

HDRKID

Currently, production of ethanol uses four out of every ten corn rows. This ethanol is blended in with gasoline at a ration of 10% corn ethanol to 90% regular gas. Approx 95% of all the ethanol we use comes from corn. Well, we had a very dry year.

I think turning food into fuel is unwise. However, that is just me. Expect that people will finally see the folly in this scenario. Right now it take 11 acres of corn to power an average car one year. That same amount of land will provide food for seven men or women. Take your pick, seven persons or one car.

BlastTyrant

If i recall correctly it burns faster than regular fuel as well so you may be saving 50$ but your filling up more often.

Octavusprime

The use of corn for ethanol fuel is a waste of resources. This practice was Implemented more to subsidize corn growers. Hey look we can burn ethanol instead of oil and make more money for farmers. The unforeseen consequence is higher food costs.

Rosco..Jones

The corn to ethanol process cost more per gallon than gasoline and reduces fuel mileage and power. If the government subsidies were removed, the program would go bust. The amount of corn removed from conventional uses is staggering. That which is left, is sold at higher prices because of supply and demand. Corn for livestock feed, food products and many other products cost more. When costs go up, prices go up. It's pretty much a lose, lose program for everyone except the farmers (corporations) . Unfortunately, once a government program is put in place, it becomes very difficult to get it removed.

Peregrini

Well said Rosco..Jones;
You're exactly right, IMHO, but remember to separate out the "real farmers" from the corporate giants like ADM.