Could Civilization Survive A Nuclear Winter?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
In the unfortunate (and, hopefully, still unlikely) event of a full-scale nuclear war, the devastating blasts would only be half the problem. After the mushroom clouds drift away, it’s believed that the smoke, carbon, and dust that is dispersed from the explosions would rise into the stratosphere. This could blacken the skies, reduce Earth’s surface temperature and thin the ozone layer, in what is known as a “nuclear winter.”

They are about as fun as they sound. In 2006, the American Geophysical Union released a study that found even a small-scale, regional nuclear war could trigger a nuclear winter and “devastate” the global climate for at least a decade, wreaking havoc on our seas, air, and soil.

This new video from Life Noggin explains what exactly would happen to civilization and asks if humanity could make it through such an event.

Although the US and the USSR detonated thousands of nuclear bombs during the Cold War, we now have an estimated 15,000 nukes stored up across the world, under the control of numerous nations. Let's keep those fingers crossed (and off that red button).

Source:
Could Civilization Survive A Nuclear Winter?

Wind7

Staff
That is a very scary and sobering question.

I'm certain that some would definitely survive yet also, tens of thousands, perhaps millions probably would not.

It's a scary warning to think such an act of hatred would supersede or override better sense.

To destroy our planet in such a manner would effect not only the purveyors of such ignorance
but, themselves as well.

There used to be a small group of
militants just 18 miles Southeast of my residence.... I had travelled by them many times in the past on my way to band practices back in the 90's.... perhaps they would survive ?

In that line of thinking, whose to say
that if such proponents of nuclear war were enacted upon, that the renowned 'they' whom did press that 'big, red button', were able to protect themselves against the fallout.

It's a scary scenario all around.

I wish the form of these devices had never been created.... especially IF
they are going unchecked...out there.....somewhere.

o_0

Last edited:

TnWatchdog

I would rather go out in the blast, vaporized, than to live in the aftermath of a nuclear war. There are really no winners after the bombs fall.

'The Day After' is a movie that was on ABC in 1983, it's a good one but a bit depressing. It is a good account of what can happen. After the movie aired church attendance increased just like when the 'Exorcist' came out.

TnWatchdog

Let's be perfectly realistic here guys... no

Unless you've been stacking canned foods for 20 years, if that, good for you, but no
...and if you had food for 20 years you better hide cause if anyone saw you alive they would first kill you, then look for your food stash. They would figure that anyone that was alive had a food source so...what was once yours is now MINE!

Wind7

Staff
Humans would survive. But civilization? Nope.

Harte

Good point.

With the operative of civility yeah,
I agree, there wouldn't be much left.

Then again who knows really,
given 50 to 100 years...more than(??)

Let's hope we never have to
endure the causation.

Harte

Humans would survive. But civilization? Nope.

Harte
With the operative of civility yeah,
I agree, there wouldn't be much left.

Then again who knows really,
given 50 to 100 years...more than(??)
There's not a lot of civility now. But the word "civilization" doesn't imply civility anyway.

I would agree that after years civilization would return. Just not the one we have now.

Harte