Could this be the rift that starts the civil war?

Crosstika

Could this be the rift that starts the civil war?

Anyone else find the politicizing of the Schiavo case by the Bush administration to be strangely surreal and almost seem like a warning sign from Bush that stricter law enforcement is to follow? Maybe I'm crazy..

Darkwolf

Re: Could this be the rift that starts the civil war?

That and alot of other things. Could you give a little more detail?

Crosstika

Oh, yes sorry .

http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl...ssisted_Suicide

Brain-Damaged Woman's Feeding Tube Removed
(AP) - With a furious legal and political battle raging outside her hospice room, doctors removed Terri Schiavo's feeding tube Friday after an unprecedented attempt by Congress to keep the brain-damaged woman alive was rebuffed. Schiavo, 41, could take more than a week to die, provided no one intercedes and gets the tube reinserted -- as happened twice before. The move came after Republicans on Capitol Hill used their subpoena power to try demand that Schiavo be brought before a congressional hearing, saying removing the tube amounted to "barbarism."

Congress & Bush are butting their noses in over this and making it a political topic.

Darkwolf

That is certianly a sign of the federal government butting in on what is a state or local matter. In and of it'self though its not going to start any civil war, especially not of the type Titor described. It will take more forcing of centeralized control to turn the rurals (who tend to like Bush) into open rebellion. That is going to come IMHO with further assults on the second and fourth ammendments. If the feds can start to do block searches without warrents then we will see some resistance. Any further revocation of the second ammendment is going to cause some trouble with that sector too. I don't know if we are going to see that under Bush.

StarLord

First off, This is sick. If you have made a decision to 'let' a person pass on, where is the sense of having that person starve to death? A simple shot to knock her out, and then another shot to stop the heart. Very safe, very painless.

This poor lady's tribulations have been a long journey. I think someone escalated and some how got the govt. involved via 'connections'

CaryP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"StarLord\")</div>
First off, This is sick. If you have made a decision to 'let' a person pass on, where is the sense of having that person starve to death? A simple shot to knock her out, and then another shot to stop the heart. Very safe, very painless.

This poor lady's tribulations have been a long journey. I think someone escalated and some how got the govt. involved via 'connections'[/b]

Yeah, the woman got herself in this predicament by getting anorexic, and you've got God's mouthpiece in Washington telling little brother in Florida to keep the faith. Let the poor woman go. She's been gone. Her body is all that's left.

Cary

sosuemetoo

Boy am I glad I don't moderate this part of the forum ;) I promise to be good Kira and Last.

This is a subject near and dear to my heart as I have a close relative that is currently being kept alive via a feeding tube.

If I had time I'll give links, but here are the facts of the case as I have heard.

Terri Schiavo suffered a stroke 15 years ago. This stroke left her in a (depending on who you talk to) vegetative state. She responds to voices, music, and touch. She responds with eye contact, and voice.

Her husband, Michael wants to have the feeding tube pulled. He claims that Terri would have never wanted to live like this, however there is no definitive proof of this (such as a DNR order, living will or other record). Only her husband's wishes.

Her husband has a long-term girlfriend which he has two children with. He will not divorce Terri because he says he is Catholic and wants to remarry in the Church.

Michael also stands to receive an undisclosed amount from an insurance policy. Depending on sources the amount is between $1 and $10 million USD.

Her parents and siblings do not want her feeding tube pulled. They have proof from two neurologists that through speech and physical therapy (which Michael pulled from his wife 12 years ago) she will improve. She may improve to the point that she will be back to the way she was before her stroke!

Her parents and siblings have told Michael that he can go on his own way, live his life... they will take care of Terri and take care of all of her medical expenses.

This is not a case where you are pulling a respirator (pulling the plug) on a patient. Her heart beats on it's own and she breathes on her own. This is literal, barbaric starvation of a person that cannot speak for herself, just because the spouse wants to go on with his life. It won't happen in one day or two. It will take approximately two weeks for her to completely starve to death.

Think for a moment what it would be like to lock a baby in a closet for two weeks. The baby cannot speak for itself or get food, but would have the capacity to do so with training. People have done this before and it is called murder. The community stands around wondering why that person did not give that baby to another family member or put it up for adoption.

Think about that baby and you have the case of Terri Schiavo. (IMO) :)

sosuemetoo

I want to also add what has been in recent news reports (and it wasn't on FOX, it was on CNN TV)

It is possible that Michael abused her and caused her stroke. There were unexplained bruises on her body (wrists and neck) when she was rushed to the emergency room. For her to come out of her vegetative state and finger him would not be in his best interests. Further if you look at the Police report/depositions you will find that Michael not only called 2 people before calling 911 , the way the paramedics found her is questionable. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1...ts?page=350#350

Michael has not allowed her to be photographed or taken out of her room in two years.

Michael has banned the OPENING of a WINDOW in her room. She has not breathed a breath of fresh air in two years.

Does this sound like a man looking out for his wife's best interests? I'm not trying to sound extreme here, but it sounds more like a hostage (mental and physical) situation than a spouse letting his wife go.

As for the reason congress should have a say in this, how about the right of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness?

Related links: http://terrisfight.org/
www.helpterri.com

Eutychus

Sue, I very much agree with your thoughts. Did her husband articulate her "wishes" from the get go or did he start saying Terri wouldn't want to live like this only after he had retained a right to die attorney? The latter, of course. Why doesn't he want an autopsy performed if and when she starves to death? And why the hurry to cremate her body as quickly as possible? This guy has all the tell tale signs of a man with something to hide.

Scott Peterson's case will be reviewed in federal court before he pays for the crimes he was convicted of. Terri did no crime. Doesn't she deserve as much consideration? I will be phoning the state reps from FL this weekend and encourage them not to let one judge become the arbiter of life and death in this nation, because the trickle down theory of quality of life over sanctity of life will see this play out with increasing frequency if Terri ends up dying.

What's the address of the hospice she is in? Maybe if everyone in the country sends her a pbnj sandwich............ Okay, too impractical, but I'm open to anything. And besides, the right people would probably miss the point entirely.

PyRo99

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"sosuemetoo\")</div>
I want to also add what has been in recent news reports (and it wasn't on FOX, it was on CNN TV)

It is possible that Michael abused her and caused her stroke. There were unexplained bruises on her body (wrists and neck) when she was rushed to the emergency room. For her to come out of her vegetative state and finger him would not be in his best interests.

Michael has not allowed her to be photographed or taken out of her room in two years.

Michael has banned the OPENING of a WINDOW in her room. She has not breathed a breath of fresh air in two years.

Does this sound like a man looking out for his wife's best interests? I'm not trying to sound extreme here, but it sounds more like a hostage (mental and physical) situation than a spouse letting his wife go.

As for the reason congress should have a say in this, how about the right of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness?

Related links: http://terrisfight.org/
www.helpterri.com[/b]

Indeed Susan I very much agree with you.

US Congress shouldn't have a say, it should be FL's Senate/Repub. that has a say.