Dads family was the last to stay in the famous haunted Pensacola lighthouse in FL before it became a museum

Mememaker500

Not my experience but my grandfathers. Back when my dad and his sisters were growing up they’d move around a ton because my grandfather was in the marines well the last place they had him stationed at was the Pensacola light house. This man was in Vietnam and to my knowledge killed 13 men and saw a lot of gruesome stuff there. I heard he was tough as nails and nothing scared him until he stayed at this light house. My father told me that my grandfather never liked speaking of this because his face would go pail like he was have a war flashback, anyways from what I was told every night they’d here footsteps coming from the large metal stairs leading up to the light itself and smell the pungent smell of a pipe almost everywhere in the house. They had a very quite small white dog that never really barked until they moved there every night it would stand in the same area in the kids room and just stare and bark for hours on end at times and would drive everyone crazy. They’d here the clatter of chains every other night and my aunt even said she’d see a tall black figure of a man standing in doorways or on the stairs in the lighthouse part. Now this doesn’t sound to spooky until I I actually went there (it’s now a museum) and found out the original care taker of the lighthouse had a wife that had brutally murdered him in that house. Some say she had gone crazy jealous over the lighthouse and sliced the husbands throat open with a knife and he blead out on the floor. The bloodstain has been cleaned many many times but it always comes back my grandparents even tried and it wouldn’t come up or if it did it just came back(this is the room the kids stayed in) the wife had then stayed in the lighthouse by herself until her death in 1855 (she died in the house) the murder was said to happen in 1840 or around that time. Well one night my grandfather was awake and couldn’t sleep due to the sounds of the chains and the smell of a tabocco pipe he then turned over to try and just blow it off as another night but saw the figure of a woman holding a blade over his body but then she vanished when she swung her blade (nearly shit his pants). I was told no more than a month later he had packed all there things and left never to go back to the lighthouse. They were the last people to stay in the lighthouse before it was transformed into the maritime museum that it now is and guest have said things get thrown at them and they even see that same woman in the bathroom or other rooms. I’ve been to this lighthouse once when I was younger and it’s very creepy especially the long large metal steps that lead up to the light and it’s very dark. They have signs in the bathrooms letting you know where there have been sightings the most famous was in the women’s bathroom. During my time there I always felt like I was being watched and had cold chills rush through me and the eeriest part was walking into the murder room and feeling very uneasy. And again my grandfather was in man and did not scare easy at all not even the cancer that took his life scared him but that place made him get the hell up and leave I don’t even think they were there a year before he Decided to get them out of there. But if you live close to Pensacola at all I would definitely go visit it’s really interesting and I know during full moons and on Halloween they have over night stays or they let you stay till midnight if you want it’s been years since I’ve been there so it may have changed but last time I went they were letting visitors do that. You can look up the murder if you’d like it’s an easy find on the web and the lighthouse has been been on most haunted places in America. Thanks for reading a small piece of my family’s history guys!
EDIT: Also just remembered the only other thing that scared my grandfather this much was when he killed a man in war. He was out of amo running up on this Vietcong that was also out of amo in a trench as he got close the man pulled a wallet out of his pocket and saying in broken English “ please no I have a family a wife and kids” something of that sort and he pulled out the wallet that had the slides to put pictures in. Well he pulled it out and a few pictures came out of him and his family a newborn was one of the kids. My grandfather being taught to kill anything really digs his bayneet into him and slaughters him. Years and years after this he believed that his ghost had been following him and haunting him for what he had done. He had, had several flashback and PTSD moments of that day and would freak out and believe he was back in war yelling at family members to get down and get to cover saying that the man was coming to get him and take his vengeance. He told my father that, that’s the reason he believes he would be going to hell to burn forever. He regretted it every day since and before he died he had told my father “I’m going now J he’s behind you to take me” right after that he had died I had left the room about 5 minutes prior everyone was saying their goodbyes. I always knew my grandfather as a nice man And I’ve always loved him but when he was younger he had always been in a dark place and was always messed up about things in his life. So messed up he snuck off to the marines at the age of 15 lying about his age of course. Sorry for my story being so long but it’s just always interested me. I hope you all enjoyed the read if you like it let me know I have more stories where that came from.