Dates

yeyeman9

Dates

Originally posted by Kalagast+Jan 12 2005, 02:53 AM--><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by MoonfaeryX@Dec 22 2004, 10:21 PM
Hello everyone, I am a new member and find this site very intriguing. I wanted to post a date that immediately came to mind. I have heard the year 2012 mentioned many times. One of the things I heard it represented was the Mayan prophecy of the end of times. If you google 2012 a lot comes up. Check it out, it's pretty interesting.

Technically, it's an Olmec prophecy, since they were the civilization who developed the "Mayan" calendar. The Mayans simply inherited it.

It's the prophecy of the end of the Fifth Sun (Suns were what they called world ages). According to it, this, our fifth world age, will come to an end on 23 December, 2012 ("In it there shall be a movement of the earth and from this we shall all perish.").

The Olmec/Maya calendar dates the beginning of the this world age, born from the ashes of the Fourth Sun (not literally), to 13 August, 3114 BC.

The previous Suns?

<!--QuoteBegin-Vaticano-Latin Codex

First Sun, Matlactli Atl: duration 4008 years.? Those who lived then ate water maize called atzitzintli? In this age lived the giants. . .? The First Sun was destroyed by water in the sign Matlactli Atl (Ten Water).? It was called Apachiohualiztli (flood, deluge), the art of sorcery of the permanent rain.? Men were turned into fish.? Some say that only one couple escaped, protected by an old tree living near the water.? Others say that there were seven couples who hid in a cave until the flood was over and the waters had gone down.? They repopulated the earth and were worshipped as gods in their nations. . .

Second Sun, Ehecoatl: duration 4010 years.? Those who lived then ate wild fruit known as acotzintli.? This Sun was destroyed by Ehecoatl (Wind Serpent) and men were turned into monkeys. . .? One man and one woman, standing on a rock, were saved from destruction. . .

Third Sun, Tleyquiyahuillo: duration 4081 years.? Men, the descendants of the couple who were saved from the Second Sun, ate a fruit called tzincoacac.? The Third Sun was destroyed by fire. . .

Fourth Sun, Tzontlilic: duration 5026 years . . . Men died of starvation after a deluge of blood and fire. . .

Doing the math from the given "durations", we learn that the First Sun began in 20,239 BC, and that apparently nearly every living thing on Earth has nearly been obliterated in 16,231 BC, 12,221 BC, 8140 BC, and 3114 BC. Admittedly, our knowledge of our own history before 2000 BC is disappointing, but I think it can be argued with a reasonable degree of confidence that most of these apocalypses did not occur.

However, it is worth noting that the end of the First Sun likely bears some historical accuracy if it is taken to be an account of the end of the last Ice Age (though the date must be pushed forward by about 6700 years), particularly since much of its description matches the "Noah's Ark" style of flood story that is seen in hundreds of independent cultures world wide, right down to the part about giants.

The following apocalypses sound like they may have been mythical exaggerations on a particularly bad hurricane, wildfire, and famine (possibly from burned crops, blood maybe referring to constant fighting over available food). Though the dates are probably completely off for all disasters, it was understood that all of these took place before the rise of the Olmec civilization, when, from what we know, such incidents could indeed have been locally "apocalyptic" for any people in what is now Mexico. Those are simply my own ideas on what they may have been referring to, nothing more.

I will admit that Olmec/Mayan calendrical record for prophecy has been decent, but given their track records on these "world ages" that in all likelyhood did not exist, I wouldn't be overly concerned. The only way that I know of for such a movement of the earth to occur would be a crustal displacement, and the very existence of such a thing is debateable (most scientists today concur that they do not, though it is by no means absolutely true), and that would need an external gravitational stimulus to be provoked (probably from a comet or asteroid). The ancient Mesoamerican empires were excellent astronomers; I suppose it's possible that they tracked the Earth's rotation and that of inner solar system comets well enough to calculate a collision on 23 December, 2012. However, for that to be true, it would also need to be accepted for the Mayans, Olmecs, or both to be well-versed in Crustal Displacement Theory. And the fact remains that outgassing can change a comet's trajectory substantially, and at any time without notice.

I don't know enough about geology or astronomy to claim I've gone down every lane of thought, but from what I do know, I'd say that, unless the ancient Mesoamericans knew something that we don't about the physical nature of our planet's crust, there's no cause for alarm over their apocalypse prophecy.

Er...also, I'm new, and fully acknowledge the fact that the lot of you have probably seen something like this posted several dozen times in the past.

Lo.
[snapback]20186[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

And how do they know about the other "suns". This all seems like pure non-proved-just-a-myth theory. Does not sounds logic at all, no offence. I dont think the world will come to an end in that date.

StarLord

Dates

Yeyeman

You could be quite right, it could be on a windy tuesday morn just before the milkman arrives, so swift that even the mockinbird is caught in mid-note.

Prof-Rabbit

Re: Dates

Hi Everyone,,

I'm new here, however this seems to be a good place to add a note or two to see what happens.

You see I have a very short range and very vague -sensing/prediction ability.

range: 2 to 7 days
vague: I can barely tell if it's a natural or man-made event.

not only is this somewhat useless but it comes with the added bonus of a migrain headache relative to the size of the event.

as for the date in this thread I suggest you watch instead for 25-02-05

or thereabouts.

Regards
Prof Rabbit

StarLord

Well, it's a very safe bet that Millions of people will be involved in very serious forms of imbibing to usher the weekend in as the 25th is a friday.

XDrFirefly

Hmmm... So the 25th of Feb. any details. I searched around and found nothing that gave me a direct connection. Also, does this date has a negative reaction. Cause I've found thought out the years that some dates that appear have positive reaction.

thanks

Dr FF

XDrFirefly

Prof Rabbit? I looked around on the 25th of Feb, and I didnt see anything. Not even the beginings of anything... So, if I missed someone let me know.

thanks

Dr FF

PyRo99

Firefly,

You are not alone on the 5/5/05 thing anymore.

Astrology cannot predict a damned thing, everyones picking up on something about it.

Just keep it in the back of your mind, pal.