Do we get taller or shorter at night ?

thenumbersix

Do we get taller or shorter at night ?

This is more of a physics question, but here seems a good a place as any to discuss it ;)

Do we get taller or shorter at night as the sun, relative to us, is on the other side of the Earth ?

If we're not laying down, sleeping, that is.. (thinner/fatter in this case :dry:)

sosuemetoo

Re: Do we get taller or shorter at night ?

LOL, good question #6. I don't have the answer.

I do have something to add though. It's been said that teenagers grow at night. I swear my kids do ... jeans don't fit the next day after we just bought them! LOL

JediStryker

You actually get taller at night, but it has nothing to do with the sun. While you're laying in bed, your bones and joints are relaxing from the pressure of standing all day. So during the day, you're actually compressing as you walk around and stuff. You decompress at night while you're laying down, thus gaining up to nearly half an inch. :)

thenumbersix

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"JediStryker\")</div>
You actually get taller at night, but it has nothing to do with the sun. While you're laying in bed, your bones and joints are relaxing from the pressure of standing all day. So during the day, you're actually compressing as you walk around and stuff. You decompress at night while you're laying down, thus gaining up to nearly half an inch. :)[/b]

This is true, but any lack, or gain of gravity would have an effect as a gain would cause 'drag' on the joints as they were stretching, averaged over some time.

What about what is actually going on, physically and psychologically, with us ? Also, what of the Moon, this must drag us about as much as the sea rises, blood is pulled higher into the tops of our brains, water is in abundance. What about our physical and psychological change with gravity variations ?

There are too many cycles that are monthly to be coincidence, we are in synch with our moon. I think it's how we're here, the moon has stirred this planet for millenia, we are the result. How is it continuing to change to us ?

StarLord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"thenumbersix\")</div>
This is more of a physics question, but here seems a good a place as any to discuss it ;)

Do we get taller or shorter at night as the sun, relative to us, is on the other side of the Earth ?

If we're not laying down, sleeping, that is.. (thinner/fatter in this case :dry:)[/b]

It has no bearing on where the sun is. While we sleep, we get taller slightly due to the position of lying down. While standing, gravity causes our spine to get slightly shorter. Even if you were to fall asleep sitting down for those eight hours. Not a good Idea as that position may not be good for your circulation in you lower extremities. It has also been said that during this nocturnal period the body is realinged on a few different levels.

BubbuClinton

All I know is I get wider at night.

Bubbu

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

I am under-tall, not over-weight.

I think that is something to this Sun dragging you shorter thing. You see, I think that the sun shines out of my arse, that must be dragging me down and making me shorter 24/7.

I should be 9' 7" really.

:lol:

Zoomerz

While we sleep, we get taller slightly due to the position of lying down.

I get taller or shorter at night while I "attempt" to sleep depending on the exact position of my 90 lb. dog.....

Z-