Do you speak Yankee or Dixie?

DadOf5

Originally posted by sosuemetoo@Jan 15 2005, 06:24 PM
Grayson, a Dixie! You are way north of the border! How did this happen?

Its the magical wonder of television, sosue. That's also what lets me affect just about any accent you'd want to hear. It really threw people off to hear me affect a scottish accent when angry. ;) Everyone thought I was nuts, but it kept people from making me angrier yet. :lol:

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

Originally posted by sosuemetoo@Jan 15 2005, 11:24 PM
Grayson, a Dixie! You are way north of the border! How did this happen?

It's the way you Americans use colloquial language really. Most of my replies triggered a this is used wideley/generally/throughout the US type of response, save a few whish stated that I was employing South Eastern/Southern language.

Don't forget that you have simply taken my home language and bastardised it almost beyond belief :lol: , but there are no new words in it, simply the way in which you say them. All this survey tells me is that Southerners have corrupted my Queen's English far less than you Northerners. ;)

Either that, or I am a Rebel through and through, which Cary may prefer to believe. :lol:

XDrFirefly

51% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category

But I do think it's funny how many question talked about the Great lakes or Ohio... I guess if you wanted to go into detail with the true anwser it would be...

(Great Lake's Dixie)

Dr FF

sosuemetoo

Originally posted by Grayson@Jan 16 2005, 04:41 AM
Don't forget that you have simply taken my home language and bastardised it almost beyond belief :lol:

Gee Whiz, my sworded friend, couldn't you just say we "improved" the language ;)

My daughter and I watch quite a bit of BBC. I've had to translate some words for her so she could understand them. Here's a few, to give you an idea:

Where's the Lu ? (we use the word "bathroom" or "restroom")

I put the baby in the perambulator. (we use the word "buggy" or "stroller")

Oh Bloody Heck ! (we never use the word bloody as slang or swearing)

Rum Buggar (Not sure if I have the spelling right, and I'm not exactly sure what word we would use in place of that!)

Tit (My daughter cannot believe this word is used so frequently on BBC's "What not to wear." We would use the word "chest" here in the USA. Put it this way, my son heard it as he was walking by and thought we were watching "The Playboy Channal.")

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
Re: Do you speak Yankee or Dixie?

The Loo, or bog as it is oftimes known is our ****************ter, your rest room.

A Rum Bugger is a person of mischief without malice, so it is affectionate in use.

Don't use perambulator, but do use Pram and Buggy.

Bloody is a good expletive, saves us using real swearwords.

Tits, should be more of 'em in my opinion. Not enough tits on TV, on display, in the park, everywhere. More Tits I say.

StarLord

Our language here in America is also filled with German, Dutch & Polish word roots that have filtered to our version of english also. When researching words, one may come across this insight.

Timmy G

Tits, should be more of 'em in my opinion. Not enough tits on TV, on display, in the park, everywhere. More Tits I say.
~ HERE ~ HERE ~

Our language here in America is also filled with German, Dutch & Polish word roots that have filtered to our version of english also. When researching words, one may come across this insight.

...and Greek ...and Italian... and French... and ...and ...and
biggrin.gif

BTW - I do not believe the test this thread was started about is present at that link any further. Does anyone know if an existing version of this Yankee or Dixie test?

If not, perhaps this thread should be closed.
sad.gif

CaryP

Good find and thanks Strangevisitor. The original link "evolved" into something else. Let the "games" continue. Welcome to Dixie even if it's "barely".

Cary

StarLord

I don't think there's much claim to Barely Dixey do you Cary? I mean, wouldn't that be a slur in certain areas near you? ? /nudge nudge , wink wink/