Don't allow debunkers to rule the roost!

Snow

Nothing wrong in voicing a criticism, but some individuals on this forum they know who they are, indulge in debunking which has a corrosive effect. Debunking isn't about questioning the material, it's about putting people down in the most insulting way because you don't share in what they believe. @JustMe thread attempting to get a forum equivalent of a rejection buzzer and @Harte statement that posters should attacked if they believe in something unusual are prime examples of the debunkers mindset.

Debunking shouldn't include "putting people down in the most insulting way because you don't share in what they believe". That is what is more accurately known as "trolling".

The anonymity factor of the internet forum makes it easy for a 'persona' to make outlandish or ridiculous claims without any detrimental effect on their 'real' reputation. In our real life, this fear of ridicule, of embarrassment, or of damage to one's standing and credibility within the community of their fellows, is what keeps most of us in check.

On the internet forum, where anonymity is permitted to allow people the comfort and safety wherein they can divulge and discuss sensitive or strange material that they would otherwise have no outlet for expressing, there is a need to somewhat protect them from the rabid debunker, ie troll.

It is one thing to question someone's beliefs or claims, and then to present other perspectives, possibilities, or explanations. That is what open discussion is all about.

It is another thing entirely, to resort to ridicule and harassment because you don't have a well developed dissenting opinion or are too lazy to provide one. This is the behavior that is unacceptable in the arena of this forum, where the stated purpose is to allow a safe place to discuss topics outside the norm, subjects flowing against the 'main' stream, in the realm of the unfalsifiable/unprovable claim.

Maybe the exceptions to this are the "time traveler" and the "time machines" topics. It should be understood by anyone claiming to time travel that they are going to be met with skepticism. They should enter into the topic with the knowledge that members reading their claims are going to assume from the start that the claimant is a role player. The role player (hoaxer) and the genuine time traveler BOTH should expect that anyone interested enough to respond is also going to try and shred the story (not the poster). If you are a real time traveler, take comfort in the knowledge that we want nothing more than to talk to the "real deal" and we are all looking for a tale that does not fall apart under the pressure of disbelief and relentless questioning.

Khaos

where the wild things are
Debunking is a mindset that comes from arrogance. That leads to rigid opinions or a narrow outlook.

Using this logic

- Aristotle is arrogant and narrow minded because he theorized that the world is spherical and not flat, like it was believed in his lifetime.

- Nicolaus Copernicus is arrogant and narrow minded because he stated that the Sun is in the center of the solar system and the Earth makes a full revolution around it anually

The two mentioned above are people who developed beliefs against what was accepted at the time, they are by definition debunkers, they debunked the earth being flat, and debunked the earth being the center of the universe, with everything revolving around it.

Turns out.. they were right!

So debunking isn't always arrogant and narrow minded. It leads us to explore other scenarios, develop theories, and find an answer beyond a commonly held and accepted belief.

Remember that the next time you bash a person who debunks things.

Harte

Nothing wrong in voicing a criticism, but some individuals on this forum they know who they are, indulge in debunking which has a corrosive effect. Debunking isn't about questioning the material, it's about putting people down in the most insulting way because you don't share in what they believe. @JustMe thread attempting to get a forum equivalent of a rejection buzzer and @Harte statement that posters should attacked if they believe in something unusual are prime examples of the debunkers mindset.
And how would you describe a post such as this one, that falsely mischaracterizes another posters statement?

It would seem that anything other than mindless nodding in agreement to everything that is posted (besides, of course, the facts) is your definition of "putting people down in the most insulting of ways."

If I'm wrong, show me where I have stated that people - any people - "...should be attacked."

The one being attacked in your post is me.

Is it okay for you to attack me like that?

Harte

Harte

No matter how crazy or weird an idea is, we are the best forum to discuss it without concerns or boundaries of any kind. On Paranormalis, you don't have to fear being made fun of or attacked just because you believe in, or thought about something unusual.
No, you only need to fear being attacked or made fun of if you believe in something that is NOT unusual.
This OP attacked someone for believing something the OP said was made up. This was in another thread.
So, some beliefs are more protected than others, eh?

Harte
it is written in this forum rules. and no, i guess yours beliefs are more protected than others (they or he is banned now)
I post factual information, and my opinions are based on what is actually known.

For this I am called closed-minded and small-minded. All for being informative in a way that shows what some other poster thinks actually goes against the known facts.

It's as if ignorance is the default position and anyone straying from that is attacked while being accused of attacking.

Harte

vitokogvy

No, you only need to fear being attacked or made fun of if you believe in something that is NOT unusual.
This OP attacked someone for believing something the OP said was made up. This was in another thread.
So, some beliefs are more protected than others, eh?

Harte
it is written in this forum rules. and no, i guess yours beliefs are more protected than others (they or he is banned now)
I post factual information, and my opinions are based on what is actually known.

For this I am called closed-minded and small-minded. All for being informative in a way that shows what some other poster thinks actually goes against the known facts.

It's as if ignorance is the default position and anyone straying from that is attacked while being accused of attacking.

Harte
Yeah you can por factual información, and you may agree or not with a statement. Thats ok . What i Say is that some people start acting Luke bullies when they think they are right ( and they mostly are) but then they start calling names or attacking people and asking for banning. When it clearly says in this forum that bullying is prohibited ," No matter how crazy or weird an idea is, we are the best forum to discuss it without concerns or boundaries of any kind" so if you dont agree , reply . And so on. This idea of voting if it is fake. Is good. And if Someone read it as fake. He could Enter or not and replying or not and let them choose and ask whatever they want .

Harte

Harte
Yeah you can por factual información, and you may agree or not with a statement. Thats ok . What i Say is that some people start acting Luke bullies when they think they are right ( and they mostly are) but then they start calling names or attacking people and asking for banning. When it clearly says in this forum that bullying is prohibited ," No matter how crazy or weird an idea is, we are the best forum to discuss it without concerns or boundaries of any kind" so if you dont agree , reply . And so on. This idea of voting if it is fake. Is good. And if Someone read it as fake. He could Enter or not and replying or not and let them choose and ask whatever they want .
My point was that I am a "debunker" according to some in this thread, yet I attacked no one and called no one any names.

I was the one attacked and called names.

That's pure hypocrisy.

Harte

Khaos

where the wild things are

Harte
My point was that I am a "debunker" according to some in this thread, yet I attacked no one and called no one any names.

I was the one attacked and called names.

That's pure hypocrisy.

Harte

Oh that is how I feel about the Politics section. I post a purely neutral and non aggressive liberal opinion and then I get lashed out at by conservatives, attacking me and calling me names and treating me like I'm the asshole...

Uh huh...