Double amputee moves prosthetic arms by intuitive thought

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Mind-controlled robotic limbs have become a reality at America’s John Hopkins University, after a double amputee Les Baugh managed his new prosthetic arms with completely intuitive thought control.

The breakthrough research by the Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) at the university in Baltimore, Maryland, was conducted with the help of the man from Colorado, who lost both his arms up to the shoulders in an electrical accident 40 years ago. Having worn and controlled two Modular Prosthetic Limbs (MPL), he became the first person in the world to operate two robotic arms just by thinking about moving them.

“What really was amazing, and was another major milestone with MPL control, was his ability to control a combination of motions across both arms at the same time. This was a first for simultaneous bimanual control,” APL’s Courtney Moran, a prosthetist working with Baugh, said, adding it was “significant because this is not possible with currently available prostheses.”

Before having the MPL wirelessly integrated into his body, Baugh undergone a surgery, known as targeted muscle reinnervation, which reassigned the nerves that once controlled the arms and hands.

“By reassigning existing nerves, we can make it possible for people who have had upper-arm amputations to control their prosthetic devices by merely thinking about the action they want to perform,” Johns Hopkins trauma surgeon Albert Chi said.

Read more:
Double amputee moves prosthetic arms by intuitive thought - End the Lie - Independent News | End the Lie – Independent News

darwi

With the technology that is being developed, it could make one wonder if some of these researchers, inventors and doctors, etc. lived some of their past lives on the planet Ix. If you're not familiar with Ix, you can check it out in the Dune books, by science fiction writer Frank Herbert. I would like the technology of regrowing missing or imperfect body parts to be more extensively developed, as Dr. Becker wrote about in his book, The Body Electric. A salamander will naturally regrow a limb or a tail. By measuring the electrical potential of a salamander regrowing a missing body part, Becker was able to induce a similar electrical current in frogs, to enable them to also regrow missing limbs, something a frog can't normally do. Then he did it with rats. They would have liked to do it with humans, but humans are more complex. But a doctor at a hospital where Becker did research, introduced him to a patient who was likely to lose a limb. The man had been in a motorcycle accident. His leg was infected and part of the bone was missing. The man was desperate. Having heard of Becker's research he asked for Becker's help. Becker was able to induce the missing bone to regrow, with the infection being eliminated in the process. The man left the hospital in a week. Electric back stimulators came into being from that research. Another man involved with regeneration of body parts was chiropractor Dr. John Christopher. He developed a regeneration tea and regeneration ointment, containing various herbs that was claimed to aid in regeneration. I believe that the code to rebuild is in the DNA and that Dr. Becker, Dr. Christopher and others have been able to stimulate the body to regrow in some cases. I suspect that superconductive energies(the same energies that work in time travel, teleportation, reversal of aging and transmutation of base metals to gold, I believe), would be even more effective than artificially induced electrical currents in enabling regrowing of and perfecting of body parts. In fact, I believe that if we were in an environment that naturally contained a sufficient quantity of these superconductive energies, our bodies would naturally perfect themselves, corresponding to the DNA blueprint. The inner Earth, with a different sunlight, with people who supposedly don't age and are much bigger than us, may naturally contain such superconductive energies. It seems likely that any missing or imperfect body parts would naturally regrow in that environment.

Kurt

I too have pondered about animals with such abilities and how it could be attributed to humans but was unaware that there was some serious research done on the matter. That's quite interesting and I'll have to look into it.

As for the technological advancement, it's impressive what we're achieving now and it seems like it's just the beginning still.