Earthquake and Tsunami

Judge Bean

Earthquake and Tsunami

Originally posted by StarLord@Dec 28 2004, 07:02 PM
I have often wondered the cost of removing all that oil from the ground. The fluid that is found in between joints, Sinovial Fluid, protects the joints and keeps the moving parts from destroying themselves during motion. I still wonder if there is some kind of connection to oil production and earth quakes.

Interesting thing, the California quakes are often centered in oilpumping areas, for example, Coalinga and Long Beach. The Alaska quake was near oil ground. It stands to reason that removing vast amounts of fluid from the earth would cause an adjustment.

The Bushies would call that "bad science."

vinny

Earthquake and Tsunami

Hi all,
Just keeps on growing. The aid agencies are just trying to get a handle on things. To be fair, to Thailand, their officials offered free airfare to tourists to go home. Looks like disease, lack of shelter ,food and clean water could take many more. The scope of this has just overwhelmed officials, and health workers. As far as getting into a pissing contest on aid dollars, it seems so small minded. If you went on a per capita basis ,foreign aid , by Sweden would put the States or Canada to shame on that front. Our government initially announced a measly 4 million but quickly bumped that up to 40 mill. I'm sure the American government will be upping their aid as the magnitude of this sinks in. Whole communities need rebuilt. Some estimates put a third of the victims as children. Many orphans have been created.

Good news is Australia already announced that it wants to do something about setting up a warning system. I'm sure the political will exsists in the international community to see that it gets done.

Vinny

Maddog

Earthquake and Tsunami

Last year on December 26th, I thought the Earthquake that killed 32,000 odd in Bam Iraq was bad, however this is up there with the Earthquake in 1976 in Tangshan China, that killed 255,000.

For those who do not know, prior too this one an Earthquake also struck off the Coasts of Australia, and New Zealand on December 23rd, it registered 8.1, and from what I have read is related to this Southeast Asia one. We were just lucky it was in deep waters (10 km/6.2 miles), otherwise it would of been goodbye to parts of New Zealand, all of Tasmania, and Macquarie Island. There was also another Quake that registered 5.4 on December 24, which was 64km's further along than the Dec 23rd 8.1 one. I am guessing this is the one that caused the 20 foot swells in that strait during the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, which caused Yacht's too be abandoned, no biggie, just gives an idea of how rough the seas got.

Back too the travesty that is Souteast Asia though, it has also been reported that:

The Age Australia

India's last active volcano, in the Andaman and Nicobar islands, has erupted in the aftermath of the huge earthquake that set off tsunamis killing thousands of people, official sources say.

People have been evacuated from Barren Island since the eruption began Tuesday night and there were no reports of injury.

Lava was flowing out of the rim of the crater which towers above the Indian Ocean some 500 metres away, the sources said.

Tourists used to visit by boat and the island has a police station.

The volcano, known as Barren 1, is located some 135 kilometres north-east of the capital Port Blair, and last erupted in 1996.

It runs about 150 fathoms deep under the sea and usually gives off smoke.

M M Mukherjee of the Geological Survey of India said the volcano presented little real danger.

\"The risk is minimised because it is surrounded by the sea so if at all there is a lava flow it will roll off into the sea,\" he said.

So it is certainly a very sad time for those in Southeast Asia, and my heart felt sympathies go out too those effected.

smokeringhalo

Earthquake and Tsunami

Originally posted by StarLord@Dec 28 2004, 01:02 PM

I have often wondered the cost of removing all that oil from the ground. The fluid that is found in between joints, Sinovial Fluid, protects the joints and keeps the moving parts from destroying themselves during motion. I still wonder if there is some kind of connection to oil production and earth quakes.

According to the Henoch prophecies , Oil Drilling and Damming waterways will both have a significant impact on seismic and volcanic activity.
Creating empty pockets where they should be filled and filling others that should be empty, resulting in uneven and unnatural weight distribution of unfathomable measure across the globe.

CaryP

Earthquake and Tsunami

I worked for a an offshore drilling company back in the mid 1970's. One of the company's drill ships was on a job off the coast of southeren California. It hit a gas pocket that was so strong the drill pipe (several hundred feet) was ripped from the ship and thrown up into the air, according to accounts from personnel on site. A couple of days later there was a significant earthquake in southern California fairly close to where the drill ship was located. I heard about the incident because I was in a position in the accounting dept. that offshore and foreign shore bases made financial reports to at the time. Costs of repairs for the damages were part of the report and insurance claim. We were told that if any news outfits called about the incident we were to make no comment. Anyone caught talking to the media about the drilling incident would be terminated. A connection between the gas pocket that erupted and the ensuing earthquake? I have no idea. I'm not a geologist. But the coincidence of the events was startling at the time. Makes sense though, doesn't it?

Cary

Maddog

Earthquake and Tsunami

Just too add to all this talk of Oil Drilling, some may find this article interesting:

Source: Earthquake: Coincidence or a Corporate Oil Tragedy?

December 28, 2004

By: Andrew Limburg

Now I don?t claim to be an expert on seismic activity, but there has been a series of events which led up to the 9.0 earthquake of the coast of Indonesia which can not be ignored. This all could be an enormous coincidence, but one must look at the information and choose for themselves whether there is anything to it.

On November 28th, one month ago, Reuters reported that during a 3 day span 169 whales and dolphins beached themselves in Tasmania, an island of the southern coast of mainland Australia and in New Zealand. The cause for these beachings is not known, but Bob Brown, a senator in the Australian parliament, said \"sound bombing\" or seismic tests of ocean floors to test for oil and gas had been carried out near the sites of the Tasmanian beachings recently.

According to Jim Cummings of the Acoustic Ecology Institute, Seismic surveys utilizing airguns have been taking place in mineral-rich areas of the world?s oceans since 1968. Among the areas that have experienced the most intense survey activity are the North Sea, the Beaufort Sea (off Alaska?s North Slope), and the Gulf of Mexico; areas around Australia and South America are also current hot-spots of activity.

The impulses created by the release of air from arrays of up to 24 airguns create low frequency sound waves powerful enough to penetrate up to 40km below the seafloor. The ?source level\" of these sound waves is generally over 200dB (and often 230dB or more), roughly comparable to a sound of at least 140-170dB in air.

According to the Australian Conservation Foundation, these 200dB ? 230dB shots from the airguns are fired every 10 seconds or so, from 10 meters below the surface, 24 hours a day, for 2 week periods of time, weather permitting.

These types of tests are known to affect whales and dolphins, whose acute hearing and use of sonar is very sensitive.

On December 24th there was a magnitude 8.1 earthquake more than 500 miles southeast of Tasmania near New Zealand, with a subsequent aftershock 6.1 a little later in the morning that same day.

On December 26th, the magnitude 9.0 earthquake struck at the intersection of the Australian tectonic plate and the Indian tectonic plate. This is the devastating tsunami tragedy that we have all heard about in the Indian Ocean. The death toll of this horrific event has reached 120,000 souls and continues to rise.

On December 27th, 20 whales beached themselves 110 miles west of Hobart on the southern island state of Tasmania.

What is interesting about this is that the same place where the whale beachings have been taking place over the last 30 days is the same general area where the 8.1 Australian earthquake took place, and this is the same area where they are doing these seismic tests. Then 2 days after the Australian tectonic plate shifted, the 9.0 earthquake shook the coast of Indonesia.

A great deal of interest and seismic testing has been taking place in this area, as the government of Australia has given great tax breaks to encourage the oil exploration.

Two Geologists that I spoke to felt that it was highly unlikely that these seismic tests would have had enough energy to induce the Australian quake. On the other hand there is strong evidence that suggests that oil exploration activities have induced earthquakes in the past.

Again, I don't claim to be an expert. I'm writing this story to bring attention to some interesting facts, so that those who are experts can investigate this fully.

We will be following up on this story as more information is gathered.

Rather interesting in light of what others are talking about in this thread.

EDIT:

Also with the talk of this being a sign of impending doom, keep it in context with 1976 and this I just came across today:

Officially, the Chinese government estimated between 240,000 and 250,000 people died in the Tangshan earthquake.

The rebuilding of Tangshan began almost immediately after the earthquake and eventually the entire city was rebuilt. It is now home to more than a million people - earning it the name \"Brave City of China.\"

In the decades since the quake, the death toll is estimated closer to half a million although some believe it is higher still. This would make this the most deadly quake in the twentieth century, and the strongest since the Alaska quake in 1964 which was of magnitude 9.2.

More people died in earthquakes in the first 10 months of 1976 than in any year since 1970.

During 1976, there were a string of tremors, stretching from China to Greece, which Swedish expert Dr Marcus Baath believes may be a signal of new movement in the Earth's crust.

In August 1976, a new earthquake measuring 6.9 was reported 250 miles north of Chungking, which is around 1,000 miles from Tangshan.