Edge of Tomorrow

HDRKID

Edge of Tomorrow is a time travel movie. Tom Cruise goes back in time to WWII to fight nazis. Well, this is an interesting concept, but one we may have already seen. Does seem like this film is an uninteresting cliche, but here we are.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Nazis? I thought he was fighting aliens.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Funny. I mentioned to Temporal Recon that I didn't want Tom Cruise to play Titor in the upcoming movie. How ironic.

:ROFLMAO:

Ayasano

Edge of Tomorrow is a time travel movie. Tom Cruise goes back in time to WWII to fight nazis. Well, this is an interesting concept, but one we may have already seen. Does seem like this film is an uninteresting cliche, but here we are.

You...might want to check your sources there. The film does make some comparisons to WW2, namely the main battle being very reminiscent of the Normandy beach assault, but that's where the connection ends.

The actual plot is that an alien race called "Mimics" crash-landed on Earth, and attacked everything on sight, severely kicking humanity's ass. (The movie doesn't explain the name, but apparently the Japanese novel it's based on does) Humanity manages to arm their soldiers with a new kind of exoskeleton, which allows them to fight the Mimics to a standstill.

The film itself takes place right after the first big victory against the Mimics, who have been isolated to Europe. Humanity is about to launch an attack from all sides to try and wipe the Mimics out altogether. Tom Cruise's character is basically the military's PR guy, and the General leading the British part of the invasion wants to put him on the beach in the first wave to film the invasion. Cruise's character refuses, and tries to blackmail the General, resulting in him being arrested and dumped in with the invasion force as a "deserter" and forced to fight with them. This all hapens in the first 5-10 minutes, iirc.

Minor first-half spoilers here. During the beach assault, it turns out the Mimics knew the humans were coming, and the assault turns into a slaughter. Cruise's character manages to kill a strange Mimic different from the others, in the process splashing its acicid blood on him, which basically....melts his face. Very graphic.

Next thing he knows, he wakes up on the morning on the invasion, very confused. The day repeats itself exactly the same way, resulting in the same slaughter on the beach, where he dies again, and repeats again, and again, Groundhog Day style.

After that, begins the bulk of the movie and some major spoilers, so I won't go any further. It's a really good movie, you guys should watch it.