Elon Musk Says SpaceX ‘City on Mars’ Will Be Announced in Guadalajara, Mexico

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Following last Friday’s historic landing of the Falcon 9 rocket on the company’s autonomous drone ship, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk made a surprise (and rare) appearance at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center and told the media when he’ll lay out his plans to colonize Mars.

In the final moments of the post-launch press conference, Musk confirmed that he’ll be giving a talk at the International Aeronautical Conference (IAC) in Guadalajara, Mexico this September and that’s when he’ll make the much-anticipated announcements.

“I thought that would be a good venue to describe what we think would be a good approach,” he said when prompted by the Observer. “Something that would be effective for establishing a city on Mars.”

Such a statement isn’t to be taken lightly especially by a man who just pre-sold over 276,000 Tesla Model 3 electric cars, landed a 14-story tall rocket on a wobbly ship in the ocean, and even sent a spacecraft to dock with the International Space Station—all in a matter of weeks.

“I think it’s going to sound pretty crazy,” Musk said when referring to his Mars plans. “So it should at least be entertaining.”

Elon Musk believes that the key to becoming a multi-planet species is developing reusable rockets. “That really is the fundamental breakthrough needed to revolutionize access to space,” he said in a statement via the SpaceX website.

The billionaire commented on his vision for Mars earlier this year at the Venture Forum in Hong Kong where he also said he “hoped” to showcase SpaceX’s “architecture” for that vision at the IAC conference in Mexico. A forum Musk referred to as the “big international space event every year.”

The SpaceX Dragon cargo spacecraft is currently being unloaded at the ISS—a mission that resumes NASA-contracted supply runs that have been put on hold since last year’s mission failure. With the mishap now in his rear-view and now that SpaceX has successfully landed the first stage of their Falcon 9 rocket on both land and sea, it’s time for Elon Musk to refocus on Mars.

“It’s a fundamental decision we have to make as a civilization,” Musk said in Hong Kong. “Mars is the next, natural step. In fact, it’s the only planet we really have a shot at establishing a self-sustaining city on.”

Elon Musk has mentioned on multiple occasions that his aim is to send humans to the red planet sometime in the mid 2020’s, but until September there is nothing official. Just rumblings on Reddit and internet rumors about a Mars Colonial Transporter—a large spaceship that could initially help establish a city of dozens.

Source:
Elon Musk Says SpaceX ‘City on Mars’ Will Be Announced in Guadalajara, Mexico

Krish

Sooner or later, we will have the real propulsion...this model T is a start...and let us excite the project.

The catch is, unless we send some serious people who understand the nature of the Universe, they may not be allowed...we shall see what happens...

Derrick C.

Sooner or later, we will have the real propulsion...this model T is a start...and let us excite the project.

The catch is, unless we send some serious people who understand the nature of the Universe, they may not be allowed...we shall see what happens...

this is not a model T, Krish, but we do have the engine tech to get to Mars in 1.5 to 2 months each way and colonize if we havent already (secret space force) Mars and the Moon.

Krish

this is not a model T, Krish, but we do have the engine tech to get to Mars in 1.5 to 2 months each way and colonize if we havent already (secret space force) Mars and the Moon.

Here are the issues...even if it takes two months...what you need is a very cheap propulsion to send stuff there....if your design does that...it would be good.

Our "secret space force" probably use the downed space ship engines....Until we can rebuild them...it would not go anywhere....That is where we are...just thinking...

BUT...even if we have one or two borrowed engine...we can send many stuff to Mars...and then use the two month trip well...

Last edited:

TimeFlipper

@Krish When you say our secret space force use the downed space ship engines, did you mean that those engines are of Alien design..If so i believe such engines are "reverse engineered" by us :)

Krish

@Krish When you say our secret space force use the downed space ship engines, did you mean that those engines are of Alien design..If so i believe such engines are "reverse engineered" by us :)

I agree with you...the catch is, if you are in circa 1880 and get a DMC regular car, not to mention the made up time car ...can you make anything then via reverse engineering?

What they have done is take the chemical that they got and used it....because to make a new set of those multi-chemical system would be very hard in our present technology....that is where I am going with. Thanks.

On a side note...the software UFOs use is what my friend suggested to certain military force, I was on the telephone call talking about it and I found that they were talking like Janitors wanted to design Tesla car drive system....It was hilarious.

The point being we do not have that engineering capabilities to reverse it....you have to be a top Engineer to get it...Thank you.

Krish

@Krish I see that you have little understanding of just how good our engineers are mate, but that is your own opinion to which you are entitled to :)

Apparently, you did not understand the 1880 remark...but that is OK...we have a long way to go...thank you...

iScottIt

Dr. Quantum
Must say, This topic pointed me in the direction of Elon Musk - OMG this guy is phenomenal ... (y)

And the Falcon 9 landings are straight outta thunderbirds - amazing stuff. :alien:

But an interesting comment from him on the subject of going to Mars and why the Human race are not there already. He replied, If you went back to 1963 and someone asked what 2016 was like, they wouldn't believe that we are not already living in the stars, have a hotel on the moon, But what we do have is a device the size of a pack of playing card, with which we can can find anyone, speak to anyone, see anyone all around the globe, and give access to every some every produced and every ounce of info publicly available.

What i'm trying to say is, it is amazing how tech move forwards, but in unexpected directions.

The guys is right - We need to get the public back interested in space exploration. The human race has to go there at some point, Better to do it before we burn up all the fuel :(