Experimenting with light waves

Falkon303

I must admit. First and foremost, I am a musician obsessed with synthesis. I began to think about light as multiple frequencies, and as a waveform, and it got me to thinking about some of the things that are possible with sound, such as filtering (which can be done with light already), but in sound synthesis you can use a form of synthesis called frequency modulation, which is when a carrier wave modulates the frequency of another wave. This results in a new "timbre", or overall sound. This same principle can be applied to light, and should result in a new spectral identity.

For example, what would happen if you modulated a gamma ray with a radio wave? It should be a new type of light waveform. The amplitude would be increased of course, and the speed more than likely wouldn't be affected, but it could lead to something.

I am mainly posting because I am curious what you all think might be the result, and also because I realize there may be some danger in experimenting in this manner. I think understanding light and experimenting with it can lead to understanding how its speed is relative to space-time.

Any thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Last edited:

Ayasano

We already do this, it's how we transmit sound and video over radio waves. Wikipedia also tells me that:
"Frequency modulation is used in radio, telemetry, radar, seismic prospecting, and monitoring newborns for seizures via EEG. FM is widely used for broadcasting music and speech, two-way radio systems, magnetic tape-recording systems and some video-transmission systems. In radio systems, frequency modulation with sufficient bandwidth provides an advantage in cancelling naturally-occurring noise."

As for what would happen if you did it with other frequencies of EM radiation, I'm not really sure, hopefully someone with more physics knowledge can chime in.

Orpheus Rex

Gamma Radiation is dangerous and hard to control. Leading researchers in ICT Hardware are trying to use them to carve smaller circuits into boards, however, they are having a difficult time guiding the gamma rays.
Radio waves are the largest set of waves, with waves that can easily be the size of a skyscraper, gammas are the smallest at the size of an atomic nuclei.
Sure, what you say is possible, but I don't know if it would be useful at all. If it interests you, pursue it.

Falkon303

Gamma Radiation is dangerous and hard to control. Leading researchers in ICT Hardware are trying to use them to carve smaller circuits into boards, however, they are having a difficult time guiding the gamma rays.
Radio waves are the largest set of waves, with waves that can easily be the size of a skyscraper, gammas are the smallest at the size of an atomic nuclei.
Sure, what you say is possible, but I don't know if it would be useful at all. If it interests you, pursue it.

Thinking about the danger of Gammas. Might start with something basic like visible light. Thanks for the reply.