Fear Of Robot Uprising Is Hampering Development Of AI

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Talk of artificial intelligence (AI) rising up to thwart humanity in a Terminator-style apocalypse is holding back research and development into the technology, and potentially harming society as a result, claims director of Microsoft Research Chris Bishop. The potential benefit from AI, such as the development of driverless cars and more efficient manufacturing, could revolutionize vast tracts of society, if only we could stop seeing it as something to fear.

shutterstock_187027715.jpg

Talking ahead of the discussion about machine learning at the Royal Society in London, Bishop told the Guardian that humanity “may end up throwing the baby out with the bathwater” if too much of our attention is focused on the negative aspects of AI as depicted by "The Terminator" and Skynet. He says that while he disagrees with the high-profile people who have spoken out against AI, there are still some potential risks, though not in the humanity-ending way that is often depicted. Instead, he says it is likely that AI will develop potentially harmful biases. One only needs to look to Microsoft’s Tay bot to see how that one panned out.

Notably, Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk have both gone public about the risk they think is posed by the development of artificial intelligence. “The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race,” Hawking told the BBC last year, while Musk has said: “I think we should be very careful about artificial intelligence. If I had to guess at what our biggest existential threat is, it’s probably that. So we need to be very careful.” Since then, Bill Gates has also joined in the chorus.

But Bishop says that the conversation and coverage of AI is not helped when these big public figures perpetuate these ideas in such a way. “I think Stephen is looking far into the future,” Bishop said to Cambridge News earlier this year. “I find it very difficult to predict where technology goes in 10 years, let alone 1,000 years! It’s clear humanity faces many challenges but I'm very optimistic about the potential of technology to give us a head start in tackling these problems.”

In light of the fear of AI development, there are some legitimate concerns about current technology. This week saw the Human Rights Watch release a report calling on the UN to ban “killer robots” used in warfare before they become the norm. They claim that the production of military drones that are able to not only identify, but also autonomously kill targets without the input of a human controller is only a few years away, and that the UN should get ahead of the curve and ban them before they are rolled out.

Source:
Fear Of Robot Uprising Is Hampering Development Of AI

TimeFlipper

My thinking is if Aliens come up with AI then we could be in grave danger, simply because when creating AI the minds of the creators would be imbued within it..
Electronic devices do have the ability to store the frameworks of our minds, so therefore we should be safe with a human created AI......I hope so! :eek::D

Krish

Today, Aliens have AIs that are organic and hence have a soul (spirit). But their spirit is integrated almost the same way as higher level Aliens...means massive Knowledge that is basically Wisdom...

We have about a thousand years to get there...so, enjoy the time ....

Bullethead21

I think the biggest threat from A.I. Is not gonna be in the form of gun slinging killer robots, or alien's that come to destroy us, as talked about and shown in movies, documentaries.....etc

I personally think the grey matter scenario is most probable to play out......the attack of the nano bots!

Invisible little creatures that self replicate like bacteria on steroids and invade our bodies and could then be controlled by the A.I. "Brain".....aka the "internet"......to control the human species.

Some argue that this is already happening now""........

Google search engines are already running such advanced and intelligent algorithms that it is already presently capable of "instructing" humans on a global level......

Google already knows everything.......and is way smarter than ANY humans on earth.......

Try and "stump" Google with a question that it does not know the answer to for example.....or how to do something.........

Google has also been working on a project with NASA to build a A.I. lab.......

The scary part is that they are using the worlds largest and first commercially available quantum computers......

These computers currently sell for around 10 million dollars a pop.......

We really have no idea what these quantum computers are actually capable of.......and they are now up to alarming amounts of quantum processing power, measured in the form of "q-bits"......

Once the quantum cores are directly interfaced with the www servers making up what we call the "web" along with being tied to the Internet for its communication backbone.......all bets are OFF!!

By the year 2020 we will have reached a level 1 singularity point in our time line......things will get interesting to say the least.....

At this juncture we will have graduated from using computers with a "logical" type interface, to using computers with a "quantum" type interface.

This level 1 singularity will be the result of current technology, in terms of CPU power doubling every 2 years......computers will be as powerful as our brains, and contain the "quantum" properties that our brains currently use and have........

The computers we use will be inside of us.......your cell phone or tablet will be small enough to fit inside your blood at nano sizes.

So it seems plausible that the computers themselves will at this level achieve or obtain a "conscience" and sub conscience just like we have.......

Once the computers gain a human perspective......not only will we be at there mercy and turned to slaves...but we will not even be able to tell the difference between humans and machines, or that we are even being controlled at all......

They could easily take over or simulate the "voice" in our heads.......and we would think nothing unusual about it or our actions what so ever!!

They could control our thoughts, actions, and even our emotions.....as a nano bot inside our body could for example tell the brain to start production on any number of substances like adrenalin or other "mood" enhancers that cause havoc with our delicately balanced systems......

I could easily see one of the above scenarios play out......due to a multitude of conditions and/or mistakes made that could cause the nano bots to express a property that was unexpected, which could trigger an extinction event.

Especially consider the love our government has for finding a way to use new technology as weapons........nano bots could fill a number of helping solutions to medicine and fighting disease like cancer........as well as providing even more ways to fill the shoes of a weapon.......

TimeFlipper

Wow really interesting mate :)
The Quantum computers at present i think are used mostly by NASA for code breaking, using Shor`s algorithm for colossal speed..
Iam certain the next generation of Quantum comps will coincide with your thoughts, in 2020 :eek:

Krish

The scary part is that they are using the worlds largest and first commercially available quantum computers......

SOLUTION: Perhaps, then we can interface with Aliens and setup a hotel on Moon and find out the FTL technology of Travel for our space ships.....and what they do in Heaven...with some 5 Billion Years of development...

Haven is saying that we will not get to FTL space ships for 500 years...so, keep working on the quantum computers at twice the speed, every 2 years....we will get there...

First we have to change our Bad Governance...hopefully this will do it....and long before the 500 year mark...

Krish

Thank you...the point is, for us technologists...what it is and how it affects over time...knowing the heavy duty civilization is Five Billion years old. We need to set up on a time scale, what will happen and not say everything that needs to be developed is here and now...just a perceptive on the matter...and what we need to do to progress...

Bullethead21

Thank you...the point is, for us technologists...what it is and how it affects over time...knowing the heavy duty civilization is Five Billion years old. We need to set up on a time scale, what will happen and not say everything that needs to be developed is here and now...just a perceptive on the matter...and what we need to do to progress...

If you consider that classified technology by the government is suppose to be around 44 years ahead or more advanced than "public" known technologies......you come to the conclusion that this advanced technology is already developed and very much already in existence TODAY.

Try and imagine what you know of right now in terms of technology....and then try and fast forward 44 years and imagine what that tech would be like......hell, look what we have done in just the past 10 years.......

We can't really make much progress with these "secrets" and current laws affecting security.....

You can not even conduct research on a nuclear level without conducting such research in a government owned and regulated lab.......the restrictions in place currently are ridiculous to say the least....

BUT............

People throw around the terms "free energy" and the devices that create free unlimited energy for example......but think for a minute on the damage done by a human being with things like hand guns......explosives....etc.

Now think about what these same type people could do with a UNLIMITED producing energy device instead of the hand gun or explosives......

Do you really want anyone having access to this type technology??

Lots to think about I would say....and sure isn't a straight forward process IMHO.

Last edited: