Gaap: How to Utilize His Diverse Powers & Attributes

Occultist

Occultist.net
Gaap is an immensely versatile demon. He is mentioned in several key grimoires, including “The Lesser Key of Solomon” (specifically in the “Ars Goetia,” the first section), the “Pseudomonarchia Daemonum,” and the “Dictionnaire Infernal.” He is often ranked as a president and a prince of Hell, commanding a considerable following of other demons.

Since “Ars Goetia” is the main authoritative text that mentions Gaap, his description within it provides us with a most useful reference point:

The Thirty-third Spirit is Gaap. He is a Great President and a Mighty Prince. He appeareth when the Sun is in some of the Southern Signs, in a Human Shape, going before Four Great and Mighty Kings, as if he were a Guide to conduct them along on their way. His Office is to make men Insensible or Ignorant; as also in Philosophy to make them Knowin, and in all the Liberal Sciences. He can cause Love or Hatred, also he can teach thee to consecrate those things that belong to the Dominion of AMAYMON his King. He can deliver Familiars out of the Custody of other Magicians, and answereth truly and perfectly of things Past, Present, and to Come. He can carry and re-carry men very speedily from one Kingdom to another, at the Will and Pleasure of the Exorcist. He ruleth over 66 Legions of Spirits, and he was of the Order of Potentates.

Clearly there is a lot to unpack from this description alone. It is one of the longest descriptions we have of any demon in Ars Goetia. It’s reasonable to assume that the author(s) have conducted many rituals to achieve this level of familiarity with him.

To be honest, I’ve often overlooked Gaap when conducting rituals for myself and my clients, simply because I’ve developed a preference for other demons that share some of his powers and attributes. But in the few instances when I summoned him, mainly to take care of travel restrictions and to improve my learning abilities, I was more than satisfied with the results.

Attributes and Abilities​

As we can see from the description, Gaap’s abilities are as diverse as they are profound, including control over love and hate, providing true answers concerning past and future events, teaching philosophy and the liberal sciences, and inciting amorous feelings not only among individuals but also between humans and spirits.

He is also said to be capable of transporting men from one kingdom to another quickly, controlling the element of water, and even inducing insensibility or ignorance in people. Furthermore, Gaap is noted for his role in the conjuring of demons higher in the hierarchy, hence the mention of him being a guide to the four kings.

He can also be called upon to reveal the virtues of herbs and precious stones, which aligns with the broader medieval and Renaissance practices of natural magic and alchemy.

Visual Depictions and Symbolism​

Visual depictions of Gaap vary, but he is often illustrated in a form that combines human and demonic elements, signifying his ability to bridge the natural and supernatural worlds.

During one summoning ritual, I was afforded a vision of Gaap as a tall and slim figure clothed in black robes and surrounded by a infernal, red aura.

I couldn’t approach the figure because the heat emanating from it was too intense nor could I stare at it for long. The demon remained within the triangle, slightly levitating until I finished the closing chants of the ritual and respectfully asked him to depart.

How to Summon Gaap​

The summoning of Gaap, like that of other demons catalogued in the grimoires of old, is detailed within them. “Ars Goetia” provides instructions for summoning these demons in some detail, including the incantations, material items and mental framework required for a success summoning.

There are also many modern grimoires, and it would be impossible for me to present all the different approaches that magicians have taken to summon Gaap or any other demon. Therefore, I can only speak of my own approach and experiences, and provide suggestions based on them. The general process involves preparing a protective circle, inscribing his sigil, and reciting specific conjurations.

Various additions can be made to this “ritual skeleton” to make it more powerful, including meditative techniques to enter a trance state that allows for an easier communication with the summoned demon, offerings, crystals, candles, incense and ritualistic movements. This is the point at which experimentation is needed, and why ceremonial magick is a creative endeavor, not a robotic set of presribed actions.

With that said, experimentation shouldn’t be entirely arbitrary. It is wise to incorporate items and actions that are in line with the demon’s attributes and the nature of the request. This can be more narrowly configured by learning about the spirit’s associations, elemental, planetary and otherwise (more on that later).

Attunement to Gaap​

Attunement involves aligning oneself with the energies and attributes associated with the demon. This could involve meditation on Gaap’s demonic sigil, chanting his enn, and performing rituals dedicated to him.

It is best to begin an attunement with a summoning ritual. Once the demon is summoned and aware of our intentions it is easier to attune to his energy.

Attunement is often sought for personal transformation, the pursuit of occult knowledge, or the mastery of specific skills under Gaap’s domain. Read my article on demonic sigils to learn more on how to use Gaap’s sigil for attunement.

Planetary Associations​

These are not explicitly mentioned in traditional grimoires; however, we can associate him logically and intuitively with specific celestial bodies based on his attributes and influences.

For instance, due to his command over elements and his role in transporting individuals and revealing secrets, some may associate Gaap with Mercury, the planet known for communication, travel, and wisdom.

On the other hand, Gaap’s ability to “make men Insensible and Ignorant” points to a Saturnian connection. The ability to “cause Love or Hatred” points to Venus.

I don’t find it prudent to attribute any single planet to demons with as much versatility as Gaap. If the magician is planning the optimal time for the ritual based on astrology the date should be set according to the type of influence one wishes to evoke/invoke.

The same is true for the use of metals and gemstones, which are also linked to the specific influence and planet.

Metals​

If one were to follow the speculative association of Gaap with Mercury, then the metal mercury (also known as quicksilver) would symbolize Gaap.

Mercury’s fluid, transformative nature could symbolically reflect Gaap’s abilities to change forms, move swiftly, and facilitate transitions or transformations. Therefore, you could incorporate mercury in such a Gaap ritual to strengthen it.

If you were performing a Gaap ritual with nefarious intentions, it would fall under Saturn and the metals to use would be iron, lead and/or steel.

For Venerian influence (causing Love and Hatred) it would be copper and silver.

Crystals/Gemstones​

With the previously stated logic in mind, the same holds true for gemstones. See which gemstones are associated with which planet and incorporate them in your Gaap ritual accordingly. For Mercury the chief gemstone is emerald, for Venus diamond, for Saturn blue sapphire.

Primary Element​

Gaap’s element is more straightforwardly associated with water, based on his reputed control over this element and his ability to teach hidden and occult knowledge, which is often symbolically linked to the depths and the fluidity of water.

Water’s properties of depth, intuition, and emotional insight are also in harmony with Gaap’s dominion over love, hate, and the revelation of secrets, making it a fitting elemental association for him.

Astrological Sign Assigned to Gaap​

The specific astrological sign assigned to Gaap is not explicitly detailed in the classical grimoires either. However, considering Gaap’s attributes and the roles he plays—such as facilitating swift travel, revealing hidden knowledge, and manipulating emotions—it’s possible to draw connections to astrological signs that share similar traits.

Therefore, signs like Pisces or Scorpio could be associated with Gaap due to their deep emotional resonance and their connection to water, aligning with Gaap’s elemental association. Pisces, with its dual nature and depth of insight, and Scorpio, known for its intensity and transformative power, both resonate with aspects of Gaap’s domain.

Suitable Offerings​

To forge a strong connection with Gaap and honor his vast dominion, specific offerings can be tailored to his known attributes and interests.

These offerings not only show respect but also serve to attract Gaap’s favor and assistance in rituals. Due to Gaap’s versatility I am only sharing the offerings that are Mercurial in nature and associated with the Water element.

Apart from symbols of Water Element which can always be made present, other offerings should be modified if one’s reason for summoning Gaap is not Mercurial in nature:

• Symbols of Water Element: Given Gaap’s control over the element of water, offerings of natural spring water, sea water collected during a full moon, or even sculptures and artistic representations of water creatures (such as dolphins, hydras or seahorses) could be used to honor him. Placing a bowl of water from a river or stream that runs east to west symbolizes the flow of knowledge and emotions he governs.
  • Philosophical or Scholarly Works: A particularly resonant offering would be a personal journal entry discussing a revelation or insight the practitioner has had, dedicated to Gaap.
  • Gemstones or Herbs: Specific gemstones such as aquamarine or moonstone, known for their connection to water and emotional insight, can be consecrated to Gaap. Herbs like rosemary (for remembrance) and mugwort (associated with dreams and psychic vision) are also fitting, reflecting his ability to reveal hidden truths and enhance intuitive understanding.
  • Incense and Candles: Blue or silver candles, representing the fluidity and depth of water, alongside incense such as frankincense (for purification and spiritual growth) or myrrh (linked to healing and the revealing of truths), can create an ambiance that welcomes Gaap’s energies. Sandalwood incense, known for its ability to support meditation and spiritual exploration, aligns well with Gaap’s philosophical nature.
  • Blood: All demons appreciate sacrifices and offerings of blood. This is an essential aspect of ancient pagan and magical practices that remains equally potent to this day.

Relation and Symbiosis with Other Demons​

Gaap’s role as both a president and a prince within the demonic hierarchy implies strategic alliances and interactions with other demons to accomplish complex tasks and fulfill the desires of those who summon him.

I’ve already written about the concept of demonic stacks. Essentially, it is the idea of summoning multiple demons to help with a single goal and thus amplifying the original demon’s effects, in this case that of Gaap. These are the top three demons worth considering:

• Astaroth: As a demon associated with the teaching of sciences and the revelation of hidden secrets, Astaroth’s partnership with Gaap can be particularly synergistic. Together, they could provide a comprehensive understanding and mastery over natural and supernatural knowledge. Another worthy mention in this regard is Furcas, for intellectual knowledge.
  • Furfur: This great earl of Hell, who commands twenty-six legions and has power over storms and lightning, complements Gaap’s dominion over water. Their collaboration can be sought for black magic rituals. He is also a demon of love, and can complement Gaap in that area as well.
  • Vepar: Governing the waters and guiding the spirits of the dead, Vepar can work in tandem with Gaap to deepen the practitioner’s emotional insights and intuitive abilities. This partnership might be especially relevant in rituals focused on healing, emotional understanding, or navigating the subconscious.

Note: This isn’t all that I have to share about Gaap. I will provide specific rituals for evoking and invoking Gaap, along with an attunement technique in a future article.

The post Gaap: How to Utilize His Diverse Powers & Attributes appeared first on Occultist.

Source: Occultist | Gaap: How to Utilize His Diverse Powers & Attributes