Girl commits suicide in Time Travel attempt

bowtiesarecool

Well, I thought this was as good a place to post this as any. Not really about parents exactly....although what kind of insanely strict parents did this kid have that she wanted to leave this time period because she "was afraid of backlash from using a remote control?????" But this was the only thread I saw directed specifically at stupid things people do, so I apologize for being off-topic. Plus, I thought it might act as a cold shower for some of you. :p

Girls Commit Suicide In Time Travel Attempt

I didn't realize the first time I read this that it said the girls were only in 5th grade. (Sorry the rest of this is in italics, it isn't meant to be. Don't know what I hit or how to fix it). Where WERE the parents? I don't know about you guys, but, I never even had a strict parent and I wouldn't have been wandering off alone unsupervised at 10 years old.

And as far as what a lot of you are saying about kids becoming a certain way because their parents did this or that. More likely than not, your kids are going to do the opposite of what you want them to do. I was raised by someone who was extremely promiscuous, who used drugs, and who was very cold and indifferent. I tried my whole life to be just the opposite. Same with a friend whose mom had similar tendencies (only worse!).

The kids where I live now are all raised in extremely strict, super-religious homes. They are some of the most depraved individuals I've ever seen.

Please understand, I am not attacking anyone's religion. I am just trying to point out that if kids are raised towards one extreme or the other, they're more likely than not going to go the opposite way to rebel.

For example, actress Uma Thurman says she rebelled against her liberal parents by becoming a cheerleader and joining the young Republicans club.

I'm not saying don't have rules and boundaries. You've got to of course. Absolute freedom to do whatever they want isn't going to be any better than keeping them under lock and key. But sooner or later your kids are going to have to be trusted to make their own decisions. You just have to hope you did a good job and they'll make the right ones. Being a good example yourself is a good start. They're human, they might make some mistakes along the way. Hopefully they'll learn from them if they do. Most of the people I've ever met who turned out well, were raised in a balanced environment like that. They never even rebelled at all, because there wasn't much to rebel against. BUT they were still taught morals and values and were trusted to do the right thing without having to be monitored every second or kept behind glass.

And to the people who questioned whether the stripper profession had become illegal: it IS illegal if the people watching are underage.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
This is a very sad story. I have read many different accounts of time travel and I have never heard or read that suicide or death was a way of traveling back in time or into the future. I really believe the two young girls made their decision on a wrong belief system and not actual facts about time travel.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Sadly, I have to agree with you Professor.

Whatever your belief system is, I don't think suicide should be viewed as a way to time travel, it's so wrong.

Ren

That reminds me of two girls who committed suicide because of their belief in Paganism and Reincarnation. I was so upset by that. Just because you may or may not be reborn does not mean that killing yourself in this life is o.k. You're causing real pain and suffering for those you leave behind. It was selfish of those girls.

bowtiesarecool

I read that article in the link Sam posted. Apparently they're claiming the reason is preserving history or something. They don't want any show or films that show history being changed.

However, one of the examples used was Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure......Really??

Do they really think anybody is dumb enough to take that seriously?

And even if they were, they didn't change history anyway. They just went and got the figures from history to help them with their project and then put them back. Lol.