GMO Mosquitoes to Spread Vaccines

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
British scientists have use synthetic DNA to develop a non-breeding mosquito that can supposedly spread vaccines to stop widespread illness. The problem is, they want to release the mosquitoes in Florida to test them out.

Millions of genetically modified mosquitoes could be released in Florida

There are some moral issues here. Is it right to force people to become experiments without their permission? We don't know the side effects or long term effects. What if the vaccine doesn't work and it spreads illness instead? Could mosquitoes become a biological weapon?

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
Incects would make the perfect carriers of biological weapons..This is straight from The X-Files, only they used bees...Incects will always be around.

They definitely have no right using the public as test subjects without their permission, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did...I'm reminded of the Tuskegee Experiments, and I'm sure there are others I'm not aware of...

Last edited:

Harte

The mosquitoes - non-biting males only - are to be released in order for them to mate with wild females (every guy's dream!) and the larvae would then die. This would result in a large decrease in the mosquito population without spraying a bunch of pesticides.

Sounds pretty good to me.

As much as I like the idea of roving bands of mosquito syringes full of vaccines, that's not what this is.

Harte

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
The mosquitoes - non-biting males only - are to be released in order for them to mate with wild females (every guy's dream!) and the larvae would then die. This would result in a large decrease in the mosquito population without spraying a bunch of pesticides.

As much as I like the idea of roving bands of mosquito syringes full of vaccines, that's not what this is.

Harte

Well, they mentioned in the article: "This is essentially using a mosquito as a drug to cure disease."

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

Harte

I misread as usual. Everyone, just read it.

TnWatchdog

My ex reminds me of the female mosquitos...out for blood. They will say this worked so good we will now be using fire ants and killer bees, only in Florida though.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
OK, I'll turn this around since I read it wrong.

What if we DID insert antibodies into mosquitoes as a form of an involuntary vaccine?
Think it would be possible?

Wind7

Staff
OK, I'll turn this around since I read it wrong.

What if we DID insert antibodies into mosquitoes as a form of an involuntary vaccine?
Think it would be possible?

If only it were a safe procedure for the forms of life dependent on the mosquito as a food source.

Bats can eat up to 10X their own weight in just mosquitoes alone.

Then again...If science could introduce rabies and west nile disease anti-bodies like a
vaccine into the mosquito population where it wouldn't outright destroy the ecosystem(s)
I would be all for this kind of idea.

Harte

Harte

I misread as usual. Everyone, just read it.
S'okay, young Jedi. Like I said, it's a beautiful idea.

Harte