Groundhog Day

Astral Vibe

Groundhog Day

This is a really cool film. It is on the tv tommorow night. So I thought I would mention it. It has a really good concept I thought. I wondered if it has ever actually happened to someone before?
Maybe thats what inspired the director to make the film, I don't know. It is possible I guess, a time loop.
I sometimes wish it would happen to me, but then again I don't because it would drive me nuts. I would probaly end up killing myself like he did in the film, but I will just wake up again the same day :dry:

'Discuss'...

CaryP

Re: Groundhog Day

One of my favorites. A good movie about "redemption", not of your soul or religious redemption, but as a human being. Can't be manipulated. You have to earn it. Bill Murray has true genius, and is under-appreciated IMO.

Cary

CaryP

Good quote Billy, but that was from "Dead Poet's Society" another great flick.

Cary

Billy Pilgrim

I wasn't quoting the movie, Cary. To me, if that movie has a message, it is seize the day. Notice that Bill Murray was not able to move on until he lived out Groundhog Day to its full potential. When did he start to appreciate Groundhog Day? When the transient died.

Carpe diem.

StarLord

Bill's character went through every possible experience one could imagine (the breakfast scene and the Bank Truck heist were simply awesome) from the avaricious to the sublime to the altruistic. His character had the chance to see the good, the bad and the ugly. Eventually the only thing that mattered was doing the right thing and his unrequited love for his work mate. He searched every possible facet of her idel of a 'perfect lover' made the effort to actually learn every thing needed to woo her and let him into her heart.

Starting over each day with the ability to remember every one of your mistakes AND you carry with you every skill learned makes for quite the place for learning.

You are right, When the transient died, Murry realized that he had been wasting his time with petty tricks and chump change.

Billy Pilgrim

Petty tricks? I don't know, throwing the cards into the hat was pretty cool.

The genius of Groundhog Day is that gives the message of living fully and doing good without getting corny. Some of the funnier parts of the movie are when Bill is the most popular man in town: playing the piano, fixing old ladies tires ("YOU TOTALLED IT") etc.

I guess I should have elaborated with the homeless guy- it wasn't just him dying. It was also that Bill was unable to save him no matter what he did. It brought mortality right back into the movie.

CaryP

Ah. Thanks for the enlightenment there Billy. Yes, seize the day, for damned sure. Quite the message of the movie. Just awesome.

Cary

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Seriously, this movie is awesome. I don't know why I thought about it though.

It was on YouTube not so long ago, I guess I might watch it again when I have some free time. :)