Gyrotron

Gyrotron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gyrotron
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Gyrotron is a high powered vacuum tube which generates millimeter-wave electromagnetic waves by bunching electrons with cyclotron motion in a strong magnetic field. Output frequencies range from about 20 to 250 GHz, covering wavelengths from microwave to the edge of the terahertz gap. Typical output powers range from tens of kilowatts to 1-2 megawatts. Gyrotrons can be designed for pulsed or continuous operation.

Principle of operation[edit]

High power 84 - 118 GHz gyrotron tubes for plasma heating in the TCV tokamak fusion reactor, Switzerland. The colored cylinders are the tops of the gyrotron tubes.

The gyrotron is a type of free electron maser (microwave amplification by stimulated emission of radiation). It has high power at millimeter wavelengths because its dimensions can be much larger than the wavelength, unlike conventional vacuum tubes, and it is not dependent on material properties, as are conventional masers. The bunching depends on a relativistic effect called the Cyclotron Resonance Maser instability. The electron speed in a gyrotron is slightly relativistic (comparable to but not close to the speed of light). This contrasts to the free electron laser (and xaser) that work on different principles and which electrons are highly relativistic.
Applications[edit]
Gyrotrons are used for many industrial and high technology heating applications. For example, gyrotrons are used in nuclear fusion research experiments to heat plasmas, and also in manufacturing industry as a rapid heating tool in processing glass, composites, and ceramics, as well as for annealing (solar and semiconductors). Military applications include the Active Denial System.
Manufacturers[edit]
The gyrotron was invented in the Soviet Union.[1] Present makers include Communications & Power Industries (USA), Gycom (Russia), Thales Group (EU),CEERI (INDIA), Toshiba (Japan) and Bridge12 Technologies, Inc.. System developers include Gyrotron Technology, Inc

IEEE Xplore Abstract

Progress on Gyrotrons for ITER and Future Thermonuclear Fusion Reactors

Progress on Gyrotrons for ITER and Future Thermonuclear Fusion Reactors

The prototype of the Japan 170-GHz ITER gyrotron holds the energy world record of 2.88 GJ (0.8 MW, 3600 s and 1 MW, 800 s) and the efficiency record of 57%, whereas the Russian 170-GHz ITER prototype tube achieved 0.8 MW with a pulse duration of 800 s at 55% efficiency and 1 MW at 280 s and 53%. The record parameters of the European megawatt-class 140-GHz gyrotron for the stellarator Wendelstein W7-X are as follows: 0.92-MW output power at 1800-s pulse duration, nearly 45% efficiency, and 97.5% Gaussian mode purity. These gyrotrons employ a cylindrical cavity, a quasi-optical output coupler, a synthetic diamond window, and a single-stage depressed collector (SDC) for energy recovery. In order to reduce the costs of the ITER 24-MW 170-GHz ECH&CD system, 2-MW millimeter-wave power per gyrotron tube is desirable. Cylindrical gyrotron cavities are not suitable for the 2-MW power regime because of high ohmic wall losses and mode competition problems. However, in coaxial cavities, the existence of the longitudinally corrugated inner conductor reduces the problem of mode competition, thus allowing one to use even higher order modes with lower ohmic attenuation than in cylindrical cavities. Synthetic diamond windows with a transmission capability of 2-MW CW are feasible. A 2-MW CW 170-GHz coaxial-cavity gyrotron for ECH&CD in ITER is under development in cooperation with European research institutions (EGYC, collaboration among the CRPP, Switzerland, the KIT, Germany, the HELLAS, Greece, the CNR, Italy, and the ENEA, Italy). At the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), the short-pulse (1-ms) preprototype tube delivered 2.2 MW at 30% efficiency (without SDC) with 96% Gaussian output mode purity. Design studies for a 4-MW 170-GHz coaxial-cavity gyrotron with two synthetic diamond output windows and two 2-MW millimeter-wave output beams for future fusion reactors are currently being performed at KIT. The availability of sources with fast frequency tunability would- - permit the use of simple fixed nonsteerable mirror antennas for local current drive experiments and plasma stabilization. IAP Nizhny Novgorod develops in collaboration with IPP Garching and KIT an industrial multifrequency 1-MW gyrotron with approximately 50% efficiency (SDC). A four-frequency tube (105, 117, 127, and 140 GHz) delivered 0.8 MW at 105 GHz and 0.95 MW at 140 GHz in 10-s pulses. After the installation of a broadband diamond window, this gyrotron will be operated also at the two intermediate frequenci

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
I actually have extensive experience with this.

Gyromite-GameA-Phase13.png

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I'm no layman. But I can tell you with complete certainty that black holes do not exist in our universe. And the C204 is complete fiction.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
I do not consider myself a layman, there is a number of other members that I would not consider layman either.
I pretty much fully understand the device and its applications. Just to set the record straight, I have a nuclear,
electronics, and aerospace background with 50 years of hands on experience.

Last edited: