Haunted neighborhood

Justinian

So.. I just moved back to the good ole USofA. New house, new town, new neighbors.. Now I've never owned a house this big before. This thing makes noises. I can see why people think their houses are haunted when the aren't sometimes.. But this damn house makes the same noise in the same spot on my living room wall at random times. The other side of the wall is my bathroom, so I have no clue what is in there that makes knocking noises. But it's not a ghost, I'm sure of this. So the story goes, I'm at the neighbors for a bbq over the holiday, and I bring it up. So the subject of ghosts and haunted houses comes up. My neighbor proceeds to tell me that our houses sit along what used to be a major highway for troops during the revolutionary and civil wars. And that he's heard stories of almost all the houses on the street EXCEPT mine, being haunted. The previous owners lived here for 14 years and never heard or saw anything. 2 weeks now for me.. and nothing except the weird banging. I just thought this was note worthy, because I've never heard of an entire haunted neighborhood before. And who knows how many other houses up and down this road get similar stories and incidents..

Khaos

where the wild things are
So.. I just moved back to the good ole USofA. New house, new town, new neighbors.. Now I've never owned a house this big before. This thing makes noises. I can see why people think their houses are haunted when the aren't sometimes.. But this damn house makes the same noise in the same spot on my living room wall at random times. The other side of the wall is my bathroom, so I have no clue what is in there that makes knocking noises. But it's not a ghost, I'm sure of this. So the story goes, I'm at the neighbors for a bbq over the holiday, and I bring it up. So the subject of ghosts and haunted houses comes up. My neighbor proceeds to tell me that our houses sit along what used to be a major highway for troops during the revolutionary and civil wars. And that he's heard stories of almost all the houses on the street EXCEPT mine, being haunted. The previous owners lived here for 14 years and never heard or saw anything. 2 weeks now for me.. and nothing except the weird banging. I just thought this was note worthy, because I've never heard of an entire haunted neighborhood before. And who knows how many other houses up and down this road get similar stories and incidents..

Have you tried recording the sound? If you can, post it? What does the sound sound like?

Justinian

It sounds like the washing machine banging against the wall a few times, but I know it's not a ghost or anything like that. Behind the wall is my bathroom. So the only thing inside the actual wall is the plumbing. There isn't even any electrical in that wall cavity. It's just really weird. Now I did repaint the living room (and that wall in the living room) and moved around a few things that were hanging there.. and I haven't heard the noise since then. it's just really odd is all. I've lived in a haunted house before, so I know what the signs are.. and there are none of those here.

Justinian

Okay so I figured out what the noise was. It is a springing board I guess is the best phrase. There is a certain pattern that if you walk on all the right boards from the living room into the kitchen that it springs a board near the wall. I mean, several times since I've moved in people come in, then get in the kitchen and hear it, then turn around to go check and nobody is at the door. I also hear things "settling" while I'm in my office in the basement. I have recently figured out that it isn't "settling", that its those stupid stink bugs walking around on top of my drop tile ceiling. But it really does sound almost like walking around upstairs. But proper accoustics I guess.