Here`s a Mind Bender

Treversal

Quote:

The implications of this are stunning. As ScienceAlert noted:

Prima facie, it seems as troubling as saying that the polarity of starlight in the far-distant past – say, greater than twice Earth’s lifetime – nevertheless influenced the polarity of starlight falling through your amateur telescope this winter.

Even more bizarrely: maybe it implies that the measurements carried out by your eye upon starlight falling through your telescope this winter somehow dictated the polarity of photons more than 9 billion years old.

samzeman

I like this kind of news because it provides an alternative to the way that determinism seems at once depressing, restrictive, and obvious. If the past is uncertain until the future is observed, it means that there is room for free will, and life can be more than just starting conditions + natural laws + time.

That's the silver lining of how confusing and unintuitive quantum physics can be lol

Treversal

I like this kind of news because it provides an alternative to the way that determinism seems at once depressing, restrictive, and obvious. If the past is uncertain until the future is observed, it means that there is room for free will, and life can be more than just starting conditions + natural laws + time.

That's the silver lining of how confusing and unintuitive quantum physics can be lol
I think QM is like this magician:

ONCE you know how he does it the trick becomes boring.

If you watch this video a few times you start to see how he does at least some of it and it is very simple.

samzeman

I think QM is like this magician:

ONCE you know how he does it the trick becomes boring.

If you watch this video a few times you start to see how he does at least some of it and it is very simple.

I get that we might know it completely at some point - but idk if that makes it boring. I like space and we know the majority of how that works. I like understanding how things function. QM isn't interesting because I think it's complex (although I do think it is), it's because it gives you complex effects. And I still think that tricks are interesting if you know how they're done ;) but I suppose maybe that's a psychology difference between us.

Obviously more uncharted scientific territory is going to be more exciting, but I'll still like QM when it's all figured out, because it's still an unexpected way that things work.

TimeFlipper

Quantum Mechanics//Quantum Physics, are responsible for the production of many things...Computers are based on Quantum Mechanics, the incredibly tiny nanometer sized semiconductors (transistors), kids toys driven by computer chips, Lasers, Telecommunications, Smartphones, GPS, MRI, all produced from understanding Quantum Physics....Including the Quantum Electron Tunnelling Microscope :)..

Harte

From the OP link:
This is the shocking suggestion by a team of physicists at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, who believe they have used “entanglement swapping” techniques to show that quantum nonlocality also includes temporal nonlocality.

In other words, quantum systems can communicate instantly with one another not only over vast distances of space but vast distances of time.
I am not shocked by this suggestion. It's space-time, not space and time.
"Instantaneous" means exactly that - no matter that the two particles might be in two different reference frames (which would mean they would observe time differently according to relativity.)

Harte

TimeFlipper

From the OP link:
I am not shocked by this suggestion. It's space-time, not space and time.
"Instantaneous" means exactly that - no matter that the two particles might be in two different reference frames (which would mean they would observe time differently according to relativity.)

Harte

Now Now Hartey, you know as well as I do that Albert joined the words space and time together, to make it spacetime not space-time...It was Alberts way of saying space and time are inexorably linked together! :cool::D